Rednet reactor control help

wireless pocket networking

4 replies to this topic

#1 faolan89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:34 AM

I made two programs, one for the reactor to receive messages from a pocket computer and another for the pocket computer to send messages to the computer. The computer on the reactor works fine but when I click a button on the pocket computer the program closes without doing anything. I have gotten it to work once but I didn't change anything and it stopped working again.

Computer Program: http://pastebin.com/XymCyihw

Pocket Computer Program: http://pastebin.com/fN9BgTbU

EDIT: From what i figured out the program isn't receiving all the info from the reactor that it should be. I made another program to see if it sends all of the info and it was able to receive and print everything that was sent.

Edited by faolan89, 07 January 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#2 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:26 AM

I just want to point this out directly
click = { os.pullEvent("mouse_click") }
button = click[1]
xPos = click[2]
yPos = click[3]
This piece of code is incorrect, the os.pullEvent function first returns the event and then the other parameters, so this would be like this instead
local click = { os.pullEvent( "mouse_click" ) }
local button = click[2]
local xPos, yPos = click[3], click[4]
which could also be put into a single line like this
local event, button, xPos, yPos = os.pullEvent( "mouse_click" )

But one thing I don't understand is why you have multiple functions that handle events, it'd be much easier and cleaner code-wise to have it in one single function like this
local function handleEvents()
    local e = { os.pullEvent() }
    if e[1] == "rednet_message" then
        --# handle rednet event
    elseif e[1] == "mouse_click" then
        --# handle mouse clicks
    elseif e[1] == "key" then
        --# handle key events
    end
end
and then you could have a main function that would look something like this
local function main()
    while true do
        draw()
        handleEvents()
    end
end

--# Call the main function using pcall
local ok, err = pcall( main )
if not ok and err ~= "Terminated" then
    print( "An unexpected error occured: " .. err )
end

And this part I'm guessing you're expecting a table

isActive = message[3][1]
fuel = message[3][2]
fuelMax = message[3][3]
energyStored = message[3][4]
RFS = message[3][5]
reactivity = message[3][6]
waste = message[3][7]
caseTemp = message[3][8]
fuelTemp = message[3][9]
you could cram that into one line aswell using unpack
local isActive, fuel, fuelMax, energyStored, RFS, reactivity, waste, caseTemp, fuelTemp = unpack( message[3] )

Something you may have noticed is that I've declared most of your variables as locals, and I have to say that it's a much better idea to declare variables as such in most cases, it makes the program run faster etc, I'm sure someone can explain it better than me.

Oh and finally I'd like to ask, are you getting an error at all? Or is it just giving you a black-screen when it exits the program?
It's hard to know what the problem is when I don't know the error, the stuff above is just advices that can help you make your code more readable for yourself, and also to give you better coding habits.

#3 faolan89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

Thanks, I'll try fixing some stuff. It doesn't give any errors it just closes out of the program as in the text stays there and it goes to the command line

#4 faolan89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

I did what you said for fixing stuff and it works now apart from the unpack(message[3]) causing an error that says: reactorClient :37: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

#5 faolan89

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:45 AM

From what i figured out the program isn't receiving all the info from the reactor that it should be. I made another program to see if it sends all of the info and it was able to receive and print everything that was sent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users