[MC 1.8.9-1.12.2] Plethora

105 replies to this topic

#21 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 05 December 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Sooo... you've made an even cheaper ME system than AE gives us, yes? ;)

Yeees, though it is much more limited. Scanning an inventory takes a lot of time so I maintain a cache of all chests in memory. Adding or removing items manually will make the cache inaccurate and so break everything. You could always re-scan a random inventory every 30 seconds or so to ensure it is up to date. Auto-crafting is also not implemented, though wouldn't be too hard with the help of turtles.

Yeah, this is slightly OP, though you can tweak the configs to make this more infeasible/impossible should you fancy. Thanks to the introspection module and wireless bridge, it would be possible to transfer items directly from/to your inventory which is kinda cool, but problematic from a "balance" point of view: CC and Plethora aren't exactly late game. I guess the only "balancing" factor is that you still have to knuckle down and implement it.

Part of the point of Plethora was to be able to automate much of a world using just CC and peripheral mods. You could have some pretty nifty things like sending out a turtle to harvest wood or crops when you're running low.

Edited by SquidDev, 05 December 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#22 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

When you get down to it, "reasonably balanced" is in the eye of the user. Personally I'm at the point where I strictly play creative, and then only to plonk down computers and start typing code into them. Giving powerful features to users "on the cheap" isn't necessarily a bad thing, even if I like to poke fun at it.

... when I do play survival, though, I still find ME systems to be too "cheap" to use... they make pretty much all other storage / automaton mods completely redundant. Certainly I'd rather run a Plethora-based system. :)

#23 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

Guys, it happened. Eventually. An actual, proper, non-beta release. I'm happy to announce to you:

Plethora 1.0.0
I know. I can hardly contain myself. Let's talk about what has changed since the last time I released something.

Firstly, we have a brand new, shiny website. This serves as both a showcase of the mod's capabilities, whilst providing a source of documentation, tutorials and examples. Please have a browse through it, hopefully it makes it easier to get into the mod. If you've got any feedback on the design or content of the website, please do tell me: it has been written and proof-read by people familiar with the mod so may gloss over things which aren't obvious.

Now the juicy bit, the actual mod. Truth be told, most of this update is just polishing up various aspects of the mod and fixing tonnes of bugs. Of course, there are some new features though:
  • Add note block module.
  • Add keyboard: allows controlling computers remotely.
  • Integration with Tinkers' construct, StorageDrawers, Tesla, Forestry, RefinedStorage, Applied Energistics and JEI (some of these are 1.10.2 only).
  • Lasers set mobs on fire and can light nether portals.
  • Preserve pocket computer's ID when upgrading to a neural interface.
  • Allow blacklisting modules.
  • Additional methods and meta providers.
I've spent a lot of time checking that every feature works as expected, but I'm sure there are things which have crept through the gaps. As always, please report any bugs you find so I can fix them as soon as possible.

Well, enjoy I guess. And happy new year.

#24 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

I'm working towards a minor update with some bug fixes (thanks BombBloke for the reports), but a little something might have snuck in:

Posted Image

Hrrmrm, lasers might need balancing slightly.

Most Plethora modules are now added as upgrades for turtles (and pocket computers if CCTweaks is installed). As always, there is a config option to prevent specific modules being used as upgrades.

Edited by SquidDev, 04 January 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#25 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

Suggestion, lasers use turtle fuel when on a turtle? Perhaps use fuel in player inventory too?

#26 Shaka

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot for this mod, I'm really loving the possibilites it provides!

I might have found a small bug that's easily reproducable:

Drop wood into an unlit furnace(that has coal in it) with this script:
function printname()
for k, v in pairs(furnace.getMetadata()) do
  if k == "name" then
  print(v)
  end
end
end
furnace = peripheral.wrap("bottom")
printname()
turtle.dropDown(1)
furnace = peripheral.wrap("bottom")
printname()

This works the first time but when trying to repeat it just returns "The block is no longer there"
I circumvented it by having the turtle go up and down before the second wrap but thought you'd might want to look into it.

Thanks again for the great mod, just finished a Botania flower/rune crafter thanks to the chest searching ability.

#27 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostShaka, on 08 January 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

-snip-
Thank you for the report, just one little thing: are you running Minecraft 1.8.9 or 1.10.2? I'll have a look at fixing this now.

View PostShaka, on 08 January 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

Thanks again for the great mod, just finished a Botania flower/rune crafter thanks to the chest searching ability.
Great to hear! It is really encouraging to see people using this mod for automation - part of the reason I wrote it was so I could automate my entire world with CC.

#28 Shaka

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Running version 1.10.2

#29 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:55 PM

Update time! Plethora 1.1.0 has just been published to Curse, featuring a whole host of exciting new features (and less exciting bug fixes). Some highlights of this release are:

Modules in-world
Any modules which have a block form (noteblocks and daylight sensors) can be wrapped as a peripheral in-world, allowing you to use their module methods directly. No manipulator required! If you wish to disable particular modules (for instance you want people to use an iron noteblock instead) you can just add the module name to the blacklist.blacklistModulesTile config setting.

Turtle and pocket upgrades
Most modules can now be used in turtles and, if you have CCTweaks installed, pocket computers. This means we finally have laser turtles back after so long. See this post for some of the fun things you can do with them. Do note that not all modules can be used as upgrades: the kinetic augment, for instance, cannot be used in a turtle. As above, there are config options to disable specific modules being used.

Chat recorder
The chat recorder is a variation of your standard chat box. Instead of speaking as its own entity, the chat recorder allows you to speak as the player to the whole server and message the player privately. Similarly, it only fires events on chat messages from the active player. What is really special about this module is the capture method. This allows you to match chat messages against one or more Lua patterns, discarding the message if it matches one. This allows you to capture chat messages such as "1 stack of wood" and respond to it, without notifying the whole world.

local chat = peripheral.find("neuralInterface")
--# Capture all messages of the form "<count> stacks of <item>"
chat.capture("(%d+) stacks? of (.+)")
while true do
  --# Listen to all such messages
  local ev, message, pattern = os.pullEvent("chat_capture")
  local count, item = message:match(pattern)
  --# Tell the player that we're requesting them. Actual fetching of items is left as an exercise for the reader.
  chat.tell("Requesting " .. count .. " of " .. item)
end

Full changelog
  • Expose module methods on blocks whose items are modules (noteblocks and daylight sensors).
  • Add volume parameter to playNote.
  • Add turtle and pocket computer upgrades
  • Add redstone integrator
  • Add chat recorder module
  • Add additional meta providers
  • Rename plethora:modules to neuralInterface and manipulator. Sorry, this will break a couple of programs.
  • Several bug fixes
For those using CCTweaks
If you're using CCTweaks (and if not, why not? :P) then you must update to 1.3.0. If you're not, then nothing to worry about.

Edited by SquidDev, 07 February 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#30 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

My computers see stand-alone noteblocks as type "Music", but my turtle sees equipped ones as "minecraft:noteblock". Would be nice if they were standardised, preferably to something no other peripheral mod would use.

For anyone interested, I've adapted Note to work with Plethora. Fortunately it already handled most any screen size, so there's no problem using it through a neural interface.

The chat recorder would allow us to code mobs we could talk to and order about - if only it threw events when attached to them!!

#31 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 12 February 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

My computers see stand-alone noteblocks as type "Music", but my turtle sees equipped ones as "minecraft:noteblock". Would be nice if they were standardised, preferably to something no other peripheral mod would use.
Yeah. um, that is an issue. It is actually worse as you can also play from the neural interface and manipulator - they have different names as well. I'm not sure what to do here: I either leave as is or special case tiles with modules. Neither approach seems appealing.

For anyone interested, I've adapted Note to work with Plethora. Fortunately it already handled most any screen size, so there's no problem using it through a neural interface.
Awesome! I've got some ideas to remove the delay for some methods which should make them easier to use, I just haven't worked everything through yet. Hopefully it should be "fixed" in the next version.

The chat recorder would allow us to code mobs we could talk to and order about - if only it threw events when attached to them!!
This is actually by design, though I'm happy to reconsider. The chat recorder was designed for communicating between you and the computer and so only captures chat messages the wearer says. I guess it does make sense for it to receive events for all chat messages that the wearer gets.

#32 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

View PostSquidDev, on 12 February 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Yeah. um, that is an issue. It is actually worse as you can also play from the neural interface and manipulator - they have different names as well. I'm not sure what to do here: I either leave as is or special case tiles with modules. Neither approach seems appealing.

I don't mind the interface / manipulator having their own types; it's just weird having turtles see equipped peripherals differently to how computers see block peripherals.

View PostSquidDev, on 12 February 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

This is actually by design, though I'm happy to reconsider. The chat recorder was designed for communicating between you and the computer and so only captures chat messages the wearer says. I guess it does make sense for it to receive events for all chat messages that the wearer gets.

Ah, I didn't get to test whether my own installed recorder could pick up messages from players other than myself... I just figured two-way external communications were meant to be a thing, given that there's a "say" function in there.

I've also been wondering about the feasibility of a key listener. It'd essentially make it possible to create quick-fire macros; eg, tap a button to search your inventory for a health potion, or to fire the kinetic module, etc...

#33 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:08 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 12 February 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

I've also been wondering about the feasibility of a key listener. It'd essentially make it possible to create quick-fire macros; eg, tap a button to search your inventory for a health potion, or to fire the kinetic module, etc...
That would be nice, though it might be rather network heavy: you'd have to send a packet for every key press whilst you have this item. Though I guess that is what happens when you are using the Keyboard item or interacting with a computer so it isn't too bad.

#34 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

View PostSquidDev, on 12 February 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostBomb Bloke, on 12 February 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

That would be nice, though it might be rather network heavy: you'd have to send a packet for every key press whilst you have this item. Though I guess that is what happens when you are using the Keyboard item or interacting with a computer so it isn't too bad.
Could you setup something so that the actual key listening happens on the client side and has some pre-processing? I.E. Is this a key that the lua script has asked to listen for?

#35 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

I dunno about having scripts register keys, but I suppose it might be viable to just listen to eg ten buttons (configured the same as for any other mod)?

#36 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

It's adorable!
Posted Image

Edit:
To explain a little further, this adds minecarts for computers. I haven't fully decided on everything here. I'd like a way for them to interact with the world. I'm not sure whether to change them to be turtles or have the ability to add peripherals and modules like the neural interface. Any feedback appreciated.

Edited by SquidDev, 16 February 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#37 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

I like the idea of adding peripherals and modules, it makes them a bit more unique. Though some sort of control over their movement would be nice (forward/backward).

#38 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:15 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 16 February 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Though some sort of control over their movement would be nice (forward/backward).
I'm planning to add something like propel(velocity) to the kinetic augment module. Basically add velocity in the direction it is facing.

#39 vico

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Location-

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:10 AM

I cant wait for Minecarts with computers (perharps turtles would be a more coherent?)

Well, if it doesnt sound too rude, but can i ask for something for you add too?

What about a simple cart-linking mechanism, similar to TrainCarts.

I know "there is railcraft around" but i just want this very small mechanism, and with the possibility to use a computer as a locomotive, the possibilities are endless even without railcraft (stuck in 1.10.x and still filled with bugs)

What about it Squid?

#40 SquidDev

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

View Postvico, on 23 February 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

What about a simple cart-linking mechanism, similar to TrainCarts.
Whilst train linking is a useful thing, I don't feel it fits within the scope of Plethora - it would be much better suited to a mod which just adds this feature. Knowing the modded community, there is probably something out there already.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users