ComputerCraft Discord Server

28 replies to this topic

#1 HydroNitrogen

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

> This topic has migrated forums. For updated information, active responses and a better experience, please see the new forum post.
Introduction:
Hey all!
A long time ago, I started a CC Discord server, and it was and still is a big success. We've helped numerous people with their problems quickly, laughed together, discussed ideas and shared cat pictures with over 150 members!
Today I re-launched a new version of this CC Discord with more properly optimized structuring, clean looks and correct configuration to give you the best experience.
This Discord guild has, as of writing, over 700 members!
About the server:
This server focuses on providing a quick and talkative chat based place for people with interests in ComputerCraft and/or OpenComputers to interact, ask for help, show creations and more.
Everyone is welcome here and banning or kicking shouldn't be necessary. Still, some people may push limits and therefore we have to enforce simple rules. Do not harass, excessively insult, act annoying, spam or post malicious content. These rules can be interpreted in a lot of ways, but as long as you don't have malicious intentions, you don't need to worry about it ;)/>.
To help you during your stay we've specified a few distinct places to chat, called channels. We provide the following channel structure:
INFORMATON
- #welcome -> In this text channel you can view relevant information regarding channels, roles and rules.
- #news -> This channel wil present you with occasional (important) updates regarding the Computer Modding community. For really rare special events, an @everyone ping may be used.
COMPUTERCRAFT
- #computercraft -> For discussing anything directly related to ComputerCraft. Here you can ask for help, share ideas and more.
OPENCOMPUTERS
- #opencomputers -> For discussing anything directly related to OpenComputers. Here you can ask for help, share ideas and more.
LISTS AND ADS
- #creations -> Here you can advertise your creations for both OC and CC. You should only post one message per creation with a link to a forum post if available. This channel is not for chatting, only for posting!
- #resources -> Here you can post things you found useful along your journey of programming - stuff you didn't make but you think may help out others. Not for advertising your own stuff. This channel is not for chatting, only for posting!
OFF-TOPIC
- #everything ->
For anything, literally anything that is not directly related to ComputerCraft or OpenComputers. You can talk other mods here, or post a picture of your cat. We're still the internet.
- #meta -> The meta channel is for anything regarding this Discord itself. Found something wrong, weird or have ideas how this Discord could be better? Share and discuss them here!
That are all the text channels. Moreover, there also exists a voice channel voice for those of you who must speak out loud.
Joining the Discord server:

CLICK HERE TO ENTER THE DISCORD SERVER

I hope everyone can benefit from and enjoy their stay in the Discord servers. Idea's, issues and feedback should be posted in the Discord itself! See you there!

Edited by HydroNitrogen, 21 March 2020 - 05:38 PM.

#2 Tiin57

Java Lunatic

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostGoogleTech, on 10 September 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

Advantages of discord:
- No account required
- Multi platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS)
- In-browser also supported. No need to download anything.
- Quick answers to your questions
- Friendly people

I'm not saying Discord is bad or anything, I've never used it. However, there is an official Computercraft IRC channel (#computercraft on irc.esper.net) which doesn't require an account and has clients for just about any operating system you can think of (plus half a dozen browser clients).

#3 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:14 PM

IRC doesn't have voice chat and Discord also supports browsers (the main ones at least).

People are a bit more talkative on the Discord, although little of it seemed to be ComputerCraft related.

Edited by Lupus590, 10 September 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#4 HydroNitrogen

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

I knew of the IRC before, and have joined it a couple of times, but I'm not an IRC kind of guy, and that's why I decided to make a Discord server, because that one fits my needs perfectly, while IRC doesn't have some things I want a chat client to have. IRC is not bad, it has it's advantages, but I like Discord ;)

[...] although little of it seemed to be ComputerCraft related.
Yeah that seems pretty true, it is not really ComputerCraft focused sometimes, but I don't think that's an issue.
That would also be the advantage of IRC, people are less talkative, but more main subject focused...

Anyway, everybody is welcome :)

Edited by GoogleTech, 11 September 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#5 SGunner2014

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMaidstone, UK

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

*DeaSTL and I

either way, cool idea

#6 HydroNitrogen

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

View PostSGunner2014, on 11 September 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

*DeaSTL and I

either way, cool idea

Thank you :)

#7 FrancisOwer

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

Thanks Mad. It worked. And thanks to you Jay for making an official Discord server. Really cool idea

#8 HydroNitrogen

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:32 AM

Status update, because numbers are fun ;)

There are 47 members in our Discord server.

37 of them have been online in the last 7 days
most of the time there about 14 people online
at peak time every day there are about 20 people or more online
at quietest time there are about 3 people online

And, excluded from the numbers above, there are always 2 bots online.

there are 0 players banned right now.
2 players have been banned and unbanned so far.

There are 6 text channels where everybody can chat.
There are 3 voice channels where everybody can talk.

There are 3 moderators/admins.

The host is located in London. (can be moved anytime if needed)

Lovely numbers, right? ;)

Edited by GoogleTech, 02 November 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#9 houseofkraft

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:39 AM

Hello Everybody!

I have decided to make a Discord Server where you can discuss about ComputerCraft, coding, advertising, asking for help, or just chill out.

Discord is a chatting client that's free, simple, and easy to use. It's better than Skype and Teamspeak combined! You can get more information here

The staff there will be great and you will have a very nice experience in this server.

Link: https://discord.gg/a4kj67N

Edited by houseofkraft, 20 February 2017 - 12:44 AM.

#10 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:44 AM

Threads merged.

#11 houseofkraft

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:09 AM

... uh, it was supposed to be a separate topic for an alternative discord server ...

#12 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:06 AM

We don't need a separate thread any time someone starts up a discord channel related to ComputerCraft.

#13 Dametqwerty

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:04 AM

View Posthouseofkraft, on 20 February 2017 - 01:09 AM, said:

... uh, it was supposed to be a separate topic for an alternative discord server ...

Also why even make another one when you can simply join this one!? The need has been filled.

#14 Joseph Stalin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSoviet Russia

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 20 February 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

discord channel related to ComputerCraft.

No, no. Discord server. Servers can have multiple channels.

#15 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:18 AM

Nope, channel. You're still using Discord's servers, because they haven't published any server software that I can see. Even if your channels ("servers") can have sub-channels, you're still not actually operating a server. You're using someone else's server. Their inaccurate use of "server" is somewhat irksome, as they should really know better.

#16 Dametqwerty

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

View PostJoseph Stalin, on 20 February 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

View PostLyqyd, on 20 February 2017 - 02:06 AM, said:

discord channel related to ComputerCraft.

No, no. Discord server. Servers can have multiple channels.

View PostLyqyd, on 21 February 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

Nope, channel. You're still using Discord's servers, because they haven't published any server software that I can see. Even if your channels ("servers") can have sub-channels, you're still not actually operating a server. You're using someone else's server. Their inaccurate use of "server" is somewhat irksome, as they should really know better.

Thank you Lyqyd.

#17 vico

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Location-

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 21 February 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

They could call the channels "servers" purposely, seems like they arent opening the client for 3rd party servers.

#18 Neekow

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

Didn't see something about it (maybe failed in my research) but think it would be a cool things. Without escaping the forum at all, i will be easier to discuss about anything ^^ (like asking help, giving advice, share challenges and ideas)

#19 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

http://www.computerc...-client-for-cc/
http://www.computerc...discord-server/

Posted Image

http://www.computerc...h&fromMainBar=1 - oh, so this link doesn't work. Just search for 'discord' using the forum search tool.

Edited by Exerro, 27 February 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#20 Neekow

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Well, saw the 2nd post, but not the first =/
Thx and sorry ^^'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users