←  Games

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Impending Doom

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 11 Aug 2017

Hey there!
Message from future me, if you enjoy this game (or even if you don't), you should check out my latest game! It's way better than this one, I'm sure you'd love it ;)
Click the link here to check it out!
Back to your original post already in progress..

ComputerCraft's first original turn based strategy game,
Impending Doom
"The Cold War isn't thawing; it is burning with a deadly heat. Communism isn't sleeping; it is, as always, plotting, scheming, working, fighting." - Richard Nixon

This game is based off of Cold War Simulator (which the original post for can be found in a spoiler below), but has been heavily modified to the point where it barely resembles the shell it once was.

This game is still in development, but it's to the point where I can start showing pictures of what it currently looks like.

https://imgur.com/a/sBDJQ (Note from future me: These pictures are from a very old build, I'll replace them later)

If you would like to download the game and try it for yourself, you can run the installer here (there will be a copy and paste below if you're lazy), which pulls from the github here, although it's not very playable at the moment.

pastebin run RkXibQCz

This game runs off of Cobalt / Surface (Surface is bundled with Cobalt), so be sure to check out those two API's and upvote their posts!

Feel free to leave your thoughts, I intend to make an update to this post as soon as I have more information to share.

Discord link here

The Original Post
Spoiler

Edited by Saldor010, 05 June 2019 - 09:14 PM.

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 25 Oct 2017

Updated the OP.

nagoL2015's Photo nagoL2015 26 Oct 2017

This looks like a very cool game can't wait to try it out.

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 01 Nov 2017

A few teaser screenshots for the next build:

https://imgur.com/a/YDQJn

Should be out in a few more days. :D

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 25 Nov 2017

Welp. A few more days turned into twenty four more days, but here we are, Alpha 2!

Still not very playable, but a lot of stuff has been added, and I'm well on my way to getting everything in working order. Hopefully once finals are done I'll be able to get a lot more time to work on this. :lol:
Edited by Saldor010, 25 November 2017 - 08:15 PM.

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 27 Nov 2017

Finally took the time to create a pastebin installer for the game, as well as fixing a bug with the surface API that I fixed on my machine, but obviously the stuff I do on my machine doesn't propagate to the rest of the internet, so I went ahead and pushed that patch as well.

Expect another alpha soon! Finals are almost over :o

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 29 Nov 2017

Alpha 3 is now out! The game is starting to look a lot more polished, and I should be in a position to bring back the AI and the nuke mechanics in alpha 4.

Some screenies if you're too lazy to download. (They were taken on this server, you should come and play with us some time!)

Pyuu's Photo Pyuu 30 Nov 2017

Pretty confused.
  • ? Button next to "Activate" does nothing, even though it's a presumed "Help" button to explain things.
  • I activate the DEFCON, right, and then I still can only activate DEFCON, giving me a message "We're already in a nuclear war!" So once I get DEFCON activated, there is nothing else I can do from what I can tell.
  • "Click on an enemy city to fire a nuke at them!" - No option as far as I can tell to do so. I click, and all I see are the stats panel on the left side of the city display.
  • No matter how many turns pass, it is always "Turn 1" (Money values still go up, however.)

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 30 Nov 2017

View PostPyuu, on 30 November 2017 - 01:07 AM, said:

Pretty confused.
  • ? Button next to "Activate" does nothing, even though it's a presumed "Help" button to explain things.
  • I activate the DEFCON, right, and then I still can only activate DEFCON, giving me a message "We're already in a nuclear war!" So once I get DEFCON activated, there is nothing else I can do from what I can tell.
  • "Click on an enemy city to fire a nuke at them!" - No option as far as I can tell to do so. I click, and all I see are the stats panel on the left side of the city display.
  • No matter how many turns pass, it is always "Turn 1" (Money values still go up, however.)

I'm aware of almost all of these issues, most of them are placeholders.

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 16 Jan 2018

Alpha 4 has arrived! The major feature of the game (nuking stuff) has now returned, among several other things. Full change log available here.

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 29 Jan 2018

A timelapse of me working on Alpha 5, if anyone's interested.

https://youtu.be/tFMSXmqNmO0