←  General

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Does anyone still use floppy disks IRL?

Mendax's Photo Mendax 01 Sep 2012

I still use floppy disks, I have ShadOS Standalone on my best floppy, but that's all I use it for, a cool place to store stuff (even if it only holds 1mb). I use a USB floppy disk and had to edit base ubuntu files to get it to load. What do you guys use them for?
EDIT: Quick hint if you are interested, SSA 0.4A will have a zip file tool.

D3matt's Photo D3matt 02 Sep 2012

You might see it still used in a business environment where they still have some legacy ahrdware or software, but other than that, probably not. Don't evne know the last time I saw a computer with a floppy drive in it.

Mendax's Photo Mendax 02 Sep 2012

If you haven't seen a PC with a floppy drive, I take it you don't got to school... Most schools still have old PCs...

Kingdaro's Photo Kingdaro 02 Sep 2012

View Postmrminer84403, on 02 September 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

If you haven't seen a PC with a floppy drive, I take it you don't got to school... Most schools still have old PCs...
You sure?

Even crappy schools at my old hometown were good enough to know that floppies are hilariously outdated, haha.

Noodle's Photo Noodle 02 Sep 2012

Floppies have become obsolete.. In all honesty I don't see why anyone would use one if they could just burn a disk or use a flash drive.

Got my Windows 95 Floppy.

Mendax's Photo Mendax 02 Sep 2012

Lol, I use floppys for plain text really. Like CC disks. Heck, I even put a 1.5mb limit on my CC ones...

D3matt's Photo D3matt 02 Sep 2012

View Postmrminer84403, on 02 September 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

I haven't seen a *reasonably new* PC with a floppy drive. I have 4 old clunkers in my room with floppy drives right now.

ETHANATOR360's Photo ETHANATOR360 05 Sep 2012

i have a trs 80 color computer with about 40 floppys (my uncle was cleaning out his garage and gave me his tandy and BASIC programing books)

Cranium's Photo Cranium 06 Sep 2012

My parents still have their stupidly outdated Windows 95 machine. They still use it only for word processing, like for letters, but it takes about half an hour to boot up. My dad does use MS-DOS to start his flight simulator. Flight Sim 95! They have STACKS of floppies in their drawers.

NIN3's Photo NIN3 06 Sep 2012

I have a set of boot floppys, and a floppy drive I dont use....

And my school atually has DISK drives!!!! (Amazing, although they dont work, since they are all disabled. dumb teacher people.......)

D3matt's Photo D3matt 06 Sep 2012

View PostNIN3, on 06 September 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

I have a set of boot floppys, and a floppy drive I dont use....

And my school atually has DISK drives!!!! (Amazing, although they dont work, since they are all disabled. dumb teacher people.......)
Hah. Most of the disk drives at my school were disabled... Physically... By students...

View Postcraniumkid22, on 06 September 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

My parents still have their stupidly outdated Windows 95 machine. They still use it only for word processing, like for letters, but it takes about half an hour to boot up. My dad does use MS-DOS to start his flight simulator. Flight Sim 95! They have STACKS of floppies in their drawers.
I have some Pentium 4s I've been looking to get rid of... :D/>

Darky_Alan's Photo Darky_Alan 06 Sep 2012

If she doesn't know what a floppy is, she's too young for you!

Noodle's Photo Noodle 08 Sep 2012

I still use IBM machines in my basements. That's old 0.0

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 08 Sep 2012

I was using floppies as late as high school, 2006- that was with a Macintosh LC (Low-cost Colour), very old thing but quite good to use. Floppy drives were on school computers as legacy support, but we were moving towards flash memory by then. Quite a few homeworks I got out of by saying my floppy was corrupted (which it often was) but my new laptop put a stop to that.
I don't think anyone sensible still uses them. They're too volatile- flash memory is the name of the game now.

Mendax's Photo Mendax 09 Sep 2012

Yeah, legacy (and nostalgia :')) are the only reason I use floppys. I'm hoping to get a C64 soon and that will be the only way I can communicate with it though. C64s are cool (Anyone got a BASH/Lua emulator for C64?)!

PixelToast's Photo PixelToast 09 Sep 2012

i decided to add a floppy drive to my computer, it didnt have the right connectors so instead i use it as a secret cd storage, i made the eject button only work when you set a secret io port

Justy's Photo Justy 10 Sep 2012

This reminds me, The other day I got two old IBM PCs from about 1996 FO FREEEEEEE :^)

Techokami's Photo Techokami 11 Sep 2012

Man, I'm jealous of you guys and your old comptuers. My old 286 and 486 are long dead :D/> All I have left is a Macintosh LC30 in my closet.

With that said, while my computer lacks a floppy drive, I still have a box of floppy disks on my desk. Not just the 3.5" variety, but the 5.25" ones as well!

Techman749's Photo Techman749 25 Nov 2013

I have an NEC Multispeed from around the early to mid 90's I think. It runs MS-DOS 3.11. I also have an Osborne 1 Computer that was known to be one of the first portable computers. It's from 1983 from what it tells me with the copyright on the ROM when it startsup. I have all of the programs disks that come with it plus more blank 5.25" Around 50 or so blanks disks, (Like I would ever use all 50 of them!) But I just use like 5 of those blanks for backups. Both very nice machines considering how old they are, I'm 15 but I still like to look back on how we got from point "A" to point "B" in the evolution of computers.

nutcase84's Photo nutcase84 25 Nov 2013

I have a rare Apple II GS in the barn. Has both 3 and 5 inch floppy drives! Worth lots of money!