←  Tutorials

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

How to Add/Remove Programs in CC

Lettuce's Photo Lettuce 08 Sep 2012

This is a tutorial for a handful of useful features for ComputerCraft. It will go through adding/removing programs from your computer, using an out-of-game text editor for your programming, along with my personal recommendation for all your Lua (Loo-uh) programming needs. I listen to all requests, and if you request something that I know how to do, I will post another tutorial. This tutorial was made using "Windows Vista" so SOME sections may not work, like un-hiding file extensions.

Let's get started.

Spoiler

I hope this helped you.
--Lettuce

Mtdj2's Photo Mtdj2 08 Sep 2012

Uhm, first, removing from computers is much more simple than that. Boot computer and type: "rm <filename>", and second, test.txt CAN be read by computercraft, renaming from computers is only "rename <filename> <desired filename>".

Hope I helped the people.

Lettuce's Photo Lettuce 08 Sep 2012

View PostMtdj2, on 08 September 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Uhm, first, removing from computers is much more simple than that. Boot computer and type: "rm <filename>", and second, test.txt CAN be read by computercraft, renaming from computers is only "rename <filename> <desired filename>".

Hope I helped the people.

That may work for one computer on a single world, but not all. With your approval though, I will edit that in, and credit you. As for test.txt, I don't think it can remove file extensions, and if it can, it's still easier to remove it while you put it in the folders, and it probably can't change it in the "global" folder, where all the computers can access it.

Mtdj2's Photo Mtdj2 25 Sep 2012

The computers can read any file extention. And an answer: Approved. And yes, you cant remove ROM from your computer in minecraft. Do it from the outside.

Mr. Fang's Photo Mr. Fang 25 Sep 2012

LOL you could just do some fs.delete or fs.copy...

abdul.ado's Photo abdul.ado 07 Feb 2013

Hi there. I know this thread is a little old now but I'm trying to use an external text editor to write programs and I'm having issues trying to figure out where to save the files.

Everywhere i have looked on google has said the same place minecraft/mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/programs and I have looked in the mods directory but there is never a computer craft directory there, there is a zip file of the same name but no directory.

Has the latest version moved the directory somewhere else and does the location where I have to save the files change if I am playing on a dedicated server? I should probably mention that i am using the mindcrack pack from feed the beast

Im trying to write a script to build an underground mine cart network to get around the map without me having to do anything to it so the tiny little in game editor isnt going to cut it sadly.

Dlcruz129's Photo Dlcruz129 07 Feb 2013

View Postabdul.ado, on 07 February 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

Hi there. I know this thread is a little old now but I'm trying to use an external text editor to write programs and I'm having issues trying to figure out where to save the files.

Everywhere i have looked on google has said the same place minecraft/mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/programs and I have looked in the mods directory but there is never a computer craft directory there, there is a zip file of the same name but no directory.

Has the latest version moved the directory somewhere else and does the location where I have to save the files change if I am playing on a dedicated server? I should probably mention that i am using the mindcrack pack from feed the beast

Im trying to write a script to build an underground mine cart network to get around the map without me having to do anything to it so the tiny little in game editor isnt going to cut it sadly.

You need to extract the zip, and make sure you name it "ComputerCraft", leaving the version number out.

abdul.ado's Photo abdul.ado 07 Feb 2013

Thanks for your help, it pointed me in the right direction.

Just a few notes for anyone else having this issue that might find this
-if you want to use your program on the server the file has to be saved on the server.
-if you are using a linux server its case sensitive and the archive needs to be extracted to "ComputerCraft" not "computercraft"