←  Operating Systems

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

KreOS 3.01 Skylark - Old traditions newly...

NDFJay's Photo NDFJay 22 Dec 2012

View PostLWSrocks, on 21 December 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

Hi, ComputerCraft noob here. How do I install the OS?

Make sure you have http enabled in your computercraft config then type

pastebin get NAgM24pa install

into the terminal

Zambonie's Photo Zambonie 25 Dec 2012

This is just like the concept im making for my os!

kornichen's Photo kornichen 26 Dec 2012

Version 1.5 is here!

This are the new features:
  • Wallpapers that can be selected in the Control Panel
    - wallpaper1.nfp and wallpaper2.nfp are provided
    - Compatible with NPaintPro pictures

• Changed the GUI slightly
  • Added MineCeption
  • Added Calculator
  • New Logo

remiX's Photo remiX 27 Dec 2012

Such a copy of NDF-OS :P

kornichen's Photo kornichen 27 Dec 2012

View PostremiX, on 27 December 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

Such a copy of NDF-OS :P

It is not a copy of NDF-OS!

I started the development of this long before NDF-OS was published.
And the code is complete another.

Doyle3694's Photo Doyle3694 27 Dec 2012

does it actually need to be named install? or is it just an example?

View PostDoyle3694, on 27 December 2012 - 05:15 AM, said:

does it actually need to be named install? or is it just an example?

It is just an example ;)

ObtusePenguin's Photo ObtusePenguin 27 Dec 2012

I really want to try this operating system/shell out, but whenever I download the installer and run it, all I see is a white screen with the words 'KREOS' in black letters. Nothing further happens.

What is supposed to happen normally, and do you have any idea how to fix the problem I'm in?

I should mention that I'm very very new to Lua programming and the operating of these computers so forgive me if this seems amateur.

Thanks!

Mandrake Fernflower's Photo Mandrake Fernflower 27 Dec 2012

The text editor is named TACO.. Random mutch? I will call my next server program POTATO or PINEAPPLE or HOTDOG. Lol HOTDOG

Cranium's Photo Cranium 27 Dec 2012

View PostMandrake Fernflower, on 27 December 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

The text editor is named TACO.. Random mutch? I will call my next server program POTATO or PINEAPPLE or HOTDOG. Lol HOTDOG
Someone wrote TACO, and he just included it in KREOS. TACO is an acronym for something I think, but you would have to ask the creator.

View PostObtusePenguin, on 27 December 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

I really want to try this operating system/shell out, but whenever I download the installer and run it, all I see is a white screen with the words 'KREOS' in black letters. Nothing further happens.

What is supposed to happen normally, and do you have any idea how to fix the problem I'm in?

I should mention that I'm very very new to Lua programming and the operating of these computers so forgive me if this seems amateur.

Thanks!

Http must be enabled. Then it should work.

ObtusePenguin's Photo ObtusePenguin 28 Dec 2012

I fixed the problem! I had HTTP enabled, but i overlooked needing a ADVANCED computer instead of a normal one. Cheers :)

kornichen's Photo kornichen 28 Dec 2012

View PostObtusePenguin, on 28 December 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I fixed the problem! I had HTTP enabled, but i overlooked needing a ADVANCED computer instead of a normal one. Cheers :)/>

Good that it works ;)

Thanks for using!

HotGirlEAN's Photo HotGirlEAN 28 Dec 2012

-snip-
(not sure what's going on here after reading all the replies)

CodeMachine's Photo CodeMachine 28 Dec 2012

Nice... Very Nice...

kornichen's Photo kornichen 31 Dec 2012

Version 1.6 is released!

New features:

- Add your own desktop icons that are painted in NPaintPro to the desktop.
- Maximum of 6 icons on the desktop.
- Maximum size of 8 x 6 pixel per icon.
- Add your own paint path (Example: /kreos/pictures/icon1.nfp)
- Add your own program path (Example: /kreos/programs/browser)
- Add your own text (Example: File Browser)
- Better Update System
- Implementated Advanced Help Program
- Implementated SmartPaste

CodeMachine's Photo CodeMachine 31 Dec 2012

On the latest update I got install:16: assertion failed! This was in the install program, when it was downloading file 2/34... If it helps I was using cc-emu.

EDIT:
I tested in Minecraft, same result :(

gngz's Photo gngz 31 Dec 2012

View PostCodeMachine, on 31 December 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

On the latest update I got install:16: assertion failed! This was in the install program, when it was downloading file 2/34... If it helps I was using cc-emu.

EDIT:
I tested in Minecraft, same result :(

The same for me.

kornichen's Photo kornichen 01 Jan 2013

Bug is fixed ;)

Happy new year :D

BustedEarLobes's Photo BustedEarLobes 01 Jan 2013

View Postkornichen, on 01 January 2013 - 12:40 AM, said:

Bug is fixed ;)

Happy new year :D

I honestly like it. However, I would like you to consider some points. Before you read this, understand I am not trying to slander your OS or patronize you in any way and I hope it's constructive.

In my personal opinion, I feel it's too bugged. I feel that you should spend time in the next update to fix the bugs I found within the first few minutes of using it. So far, I've encountered probably 10-20 bugs. On my computer, I can't delete an icon, and for some reason, the text editor fails to load. As I was writing that sentence, I went back to verify other bugs but got locked out from the "games" and "programs" dropdown, the clock stopped running, and only the "K" dropdown works. On top of that, rebooting says that there is an update, but when I update, it still says there is an update available. When left on for a few minutes the icons flicker, and clicking gets very lagged and it does not catch up to the point where clicking "Games" will take about 10 seconds to actually drop down.

Although you may think of me being a jerk, I just wanted you to realize when you have to stop adding features, sit down, look at your code, and go bug hunting.

Aside from the bugs, I really DO like the OS. I like the custom icons, the customization features, and the programs it comes with (When they work :)).

Now for a tip for the context menu. If you pay attention, and go to your desktop(If you use Windows) and right click in the middle of it, the context menu appears lower left of your mouse. However, if you right click near the right side or bottom of the screen, the position of the context menu changes in correlation with the mouse. That way, it doesn't break or wrap through the left side of the screen (Like yours).

I understand you spent probably hours working on this OS, and I feel you did a very good job. Those were just a few thoughts I think you should consider.

+1 to you!