BustedOS V 1.1.0 [Looking for bug finders!] [Color]

computer lua utility

42 replies to this topic

#1 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Designed with you in mind!

Special thanks to 1lann and GravityScore for the Firewolf Web Browser, NPaintPro by NitrogenFingers, and Shnupbups100 who is leading the bug tester competition with 3 bugs found!

Link to their work:

http://www.computerc...ajor-bug-fixes/ -- Firewolf
http://www.computerc...-145-npaintpro/ -- NPaintPro

Now, I know what you must be thinking, "Not another OS..". Before I lost you there, it's not just any OS. It's probably the only OS you will ever need! I designed this OS with usability in mind, and now, you can use it! .

Don't believe me? Check out these screen shots (Slightly outdated):
Spoiler

ALL of the code was made by me. I started from complete scratch

Features:
  • File system interface

• Right click shortcut menu

• Update check system (Press U)

• Shutdown (Press S)

• Alert header (Meant for external programs to edit the alert to display)

• VERY nice interface

• Amazing installer

• Quick to use, and fast for all users

• Run programs with arguments

• Automatic boot up update check

• Fast bootup screen

• Firewolf Web browser (Yay!)

• Cut

Bugs:
  • Start button does not work (Currently developing a GUI for it) -- Fixed in 1.0
  • You can delete the OS
  • Renaming a file to a new name that already exists - Fixed in version 0.4
  • Copying a directory inside of itself -- fixed in 0.4.1
  • Cannot run ROM programs with arguments -- fixed in 0.4.1
  • You can paste files into ROM -- fixed in 0.4.1
  • Tell me if you find others and post a pastebin link to the OSCrashDump file so that I can read the crash log
New Features:
  • Startup menu
  • Customizable settings (Not as fancy as I want)
  • Search files -- Scans through ROM so it's not speedy fast. Though it skips the folder rom/help
Possible features:
  • Antivirus
  • Run (command line, shellOS like)
  • Multi-select
  • [Guaranteed] Default OS programs
  • Text editors
  • NPaintPro (Waiting for permission)
  • Search Files
  • Give your feed back!
Important: I will host a small forum contest soon to see who wants to make extra programs default to the OS

Installer Download (Requires Advanced Computers):

pastebin get J7pUk6Yc osInstaller

please name the installer osInstaller so that it can be deleted properly after installation.

Alert instructions: For external program developers who wish to make programs that are built with bustedOs, you can edit the .bustedOs/osFiles/alertField to a message of your choice. This message will alert the user when he is in the OS.

#2 HotGirlEAN

• Banned
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Nice unique display of the OS, however, can you explain what "alerts" are in the OS?
I so feel like making a Youtube video for this OS. :) With that iPad mini commercial song? http://freemp3x.com/...yti=vM9U70HgLsQ

Also, you should REALLY put up protections against deleting your OS.
Posted Image
BustedOS is busted. :(

#3 TheeIntrepidGamer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Love the OS but, It would be awesome if you could add a "cut" feature to the OS since you have "copy" and "paste". Would be great if that was added in 0.4.

#4 HotGirlEAN

• Banned
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Totally agreed. :)

#5 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostHotGirlEAN, on 29 December 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

Nice unique display of the OS, however, can you explain what "alerts" are in the OS?
I so feel like making a Youtube video for this OS. :) With that iPad mini commercial song? http://freemp3x.com/...yti=vM9U70HgLsQ

Also, you should REALLY put up protections against deleting your OS.
Posted Image
BustedOS is busted. :(

Haha...thanks!

As for the youtube video, go ahead, I'll post it on the thread for you!

And the restriction thing will probably come within the next update. Which by the way you found the Blue Screen of Death quickly :)

Edit: Oh! Thanks for reminding me about explaining how the alerts work I'm updating the post

View PostFirestorm002, on 29 December 2012 - 08:52 PM, said:

Love the OS but, It would be awesome if you could add a "cut" feature to the OS since you have "copy" and "paste". Would be great if that was added in 0.4.

Will do.

#6 HotGirlEAN

• Banned
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

xD Lol, I'll make it when further updates come out and I might mod the code a sinch to time everything so the video could be made right. :)

#7 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostHotGirlEAN, on 29 December 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

xD Lol, I'll make it when further updates come out and I might mod the code a sinch to time everything so the video could be made right. :)

Fine by me!

#8 HotGirlEAN

• Banned
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Also, could you make Rom/programs/ appear in the desktop, I don't like roaming around the rom folder trying to find what I want, also, a File Searching feature would be nice! :)

#9 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostHotGirlEAN, on 30 December 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

Also, could you make Rom/programs/ appear in the desktop, I don't like roaming around the rom folder trying to find what I want, also, a File Searching feature would be nice! :)

Ahh yeah! I forgot to add file search to the list. I was gonna have the file search within the start menu

As for showing Rom/programs, that may happen down the road. Right now I need to get the main features running.

On top of that, I found more bugs while exploring the OS, I'll update the bug list within an hour as I have to leave for a bit.

#10 NDFJay

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostBustedEarLobes, on 29 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Better than NDF-OS (Just a competitive statement just kidding NDF)

haha I admire your optimism :P

Nice "OS" although at this moment it just resembles a file manager not an "OS" once you get the Start GUI sorted and more features put it then I would class it more like an OS.

None the less, I like it, good work
+1 for you

~NDFJay

#11 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostNDFJay, on 30 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostBustedEarLobes, on 29 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Better than NDF-OS (Just a competitive statement just kidding NDF)

haha I admire your optimism :P

Nice "OS" although at this moment it just resembles a file manager not an "OS" once you get the Start GUI sorted and more features put it then I would class it more like an OS.

None the less, I like it, good work
+1 for you

~NDFJay

Haha thank you.

And I will admit that it is lacking some core OS features, but once I get the start menu up and add more default programs it will change.

#12 NDFJay

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostBustedEarLobes, on 30 December 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

--snip--

Looking forward to it ^_^ now let the friendly competition begin haha

#13 AndreWalia

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSt.Louis, MO

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Cool. Though the s in OS is capitalized in the pictures it isnt

#14 HotGirlEAN

• Banned
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

:) Competition will lead to better quality programs, you both (NDFJay) and the creator of this OS (whose name I'm too lazy to just scroll up on my browser to copy down here >.< ) should try your best :)

#15 rickydaan

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

Sigh... Not yet another OS? This seems just a simple file browser with a alert system. Too many people calling their program a OS

If this is a OS, then IRL there would be billions of OS's... PLEASE people, learn the difference between a program and a OS.

#16 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

View Postrickydaan, on 01 January 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

Sigh... Not yet another OS? This seems just a simple file browser with a alert system. Too many people calling their program a OS

If this is a OS, then IRL there would be billions of OS's... PLEASE people, learn the difference between a program and a OS.

A couple of points about this. First off, you have failed to read the previous 5 posts explaining it. Second, please show me some other file browsers that look very similar to mine. My point is, it's original, it as a desktop with colored tab organization, and it will act more like an OS within a couple of updates. Your comment was not very constructive, it came across as rude to me, and I did not appreciate your tone being passed like I'm stupid. Finally, I've spent a total of more than 12 hours working on this (mostly because I started from scratch). If you feel it's just another OS, then please, show me another one just like it.

On top of that, if you READ the definition of an OS, it's defined as:

The software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks and executing applications

Windows 7's desktop is Windows Explorer (the file browser) except with icons

#17 NDFJay

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

quick alert, you may want to remove the (better than NDF-OS) from the post since NDF-OS is now dead and no longer exists :) I'm working on a new project and condemmed NDF-OS to the depths of hell

#18 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostNDFCirno, on 01 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

quick alert, you may want to remove the (better than NDF-OS) from the post since NDF-OS is now dead and no longer exists :) I'm working on a new project and condemmed NDF-OS to the depths of hell

Haha, I had no idea. Very well then. May the best programmer win ;)

#19 NDFJay

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostBustedEarLobes, on 01 January 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

View PostNDFCirno, on 01 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Haha, I had no idea. Very well then. May the best programmer win ;)

good luck competing with NDF-UI :P it will beat "OS" made so far :P even NDF-OS haha, yes thats right, im competing against myself :P *shakes hand* let the best UI win

#20 CastleMan2000

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationThe trashcan where all Undertale trash is

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Suggestion: access to shell/terminal, or otherwise a folder for activating ROM programs. I want to use pastebin, but when I go to rom/programs/http I right click and it says "You can't change the rom!" I don't want to, I just want to use arguments! How about removing file-related options while right clicking something rom related?

As well, the time doesn't update until you do something to prompt the draw cycle. Since I don't see the bar up there flickering, I assume you can keep everything else while only re-printing the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users