Jump to content




which programming language's syntax do you like the best?


146 replies to this topic

#21 superaxander

  • Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

I like a lot of languages:
Top List:
  • VisualBasic And LUA
  • JS And HTML(I know they are not real languages but I like them)
  • JAVA
  • PHP


#22 robhol

  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

JS is a programming language (and a scripting language), HTML isn't.

I like C#, it has a nice balance between static typing and not having to write down ReallyReallyLongObjectOrientedTypeIdentifiers (just put "var", problem solved) while still allowing you to do it if you want to.
(Most of) the .NET framework is pretty neat and logical, and it seems a lot less cluttered than Java's standard library - the Kingdom of Nouns problem is still there, but there are considerably fewer NeatThingDecoratorStrategyFactoryBuilderFactoryStrategyAdornerFactoryFactoryFactory classes and you rarely need to instantiate 3-4 different objects for the simplest operations.*
*coughjavacough*
DocumentBuilderFactory dbFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
DocumentBuilder dBuilder = dbFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
Document doc = dBuilder.parse(derp);

And, of course, Lua. It's a bitch to debug compared to most other languages. Its lack of simple syntactical sugar like i++, n+=3 and so on is actually pretty annoying. Despite all of that, it's a joy to program in sometimes. :D

#23 tesla1889

  • Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

 superaxander, on 04 March 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

I like a lot of languages:
Top List:
  • VisualBasic And LUA
  • JS And HTML(I know they are not real languages but I like them)
  • JAVA
  • PHP

you like... *shudders* ...VisualBasic???


 robhol, on 04 March 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

--snip--
NeatThingDecoratorStrategyFactoryBuilderFactoryStrategyAdornerFactoryFactoryFactory classes
--snip--

that pretty much sums up everything wrong with Java and C++

#24 Sammich Lord

    IRC Addict

  • Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

 robhol, on 04 March 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

JS is a programming language (and a scripting language), HTML isn't.

I like C#, it has a nice balance between static typing and not having to write down ReallyReallyLongObjectOrientedTypeIdentifiers (just put "var", problem solved) while still allowing you to do it if you want to.
(Most of) the .NET framework is pretty neat and logical, and it seems a lot less cluttered than Java's standard library - the Kingdom of Nouns problem is still there, but there are considerably fewer NeatThingDecoratorStrategyFactoryBuilderFactoryStrategyAdornerFactoryFactoryFactory classes and you rarely need to instantiate 3-4 different objects for the simplest operations.*
*coughjavacough*
DocumentBuilderFactory dbFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
DocumentBuilder dBuilder = dbFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
Document doc = dBuilder.parse(derp);

And, of course, Lua. It's a bitch to debug compared to most other languages. Its lack of simple syntactical sugar like i++, n+=3 and so on is actually pretty annoying. Despite all of that, it's a joy to program in sometimes. :D
I would pretty much have to agree with you completely. C# has a nice balance and Lua is good for simplicity.

#25 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

 tesla1889, on 04 March 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

--snip snip--

 robhol, on 04 March 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

--snip--
NeatThingDecoratorStrategyFactoryBuilderFactoryStrategyAdornerFactoryFactoryFactory classes
--snip--

that pretty much sums up everything wrong with Java and C++


No, Objective-C supremacy!
I mean, who doesn't want that to become:
[[[[[[[[[[[NSNeat Thing]Decorator] Strategy] Factory] Builder] Factory] Strategy] Adorner] Factory] Factory] Factory]


#26 SuicidalSTDz

    Permutator of Strings

  • Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

It is quite obvious that LOLCode has the sexiest/best syntax (*cough cough* Not it doesn't)

#27 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

It is quite obvious that LOLCode has the sexiest/best syntax (*cough cough* Not it doesn't)

:wacko: My OCD wants to kill me for seeing that... Again, if its made by Apple, it looks shiny.

I mean WTF?
They must have been drunk while making that...
HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE


#28 Dlcruz129

    What's a Lua?

  • Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

 oeed, on 04 March 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

It is quite obvious that LOLCode has the sexiest/best syntax (*cough cough* Not it doesn't)

:wacko:/> My OCD wants to kill me for seeing that... Again, if its made by Apple, it looks shiny.

I mean WTF?
They must have been drunk while making that...
HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE

I'm actually considering making a LOLCode interpreter in CC.

#29 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

 Dlcruz129, on 04 March 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

 oeed, on 04 March 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

It is quite obvious that LOLCode has the sexiest/best syntax (*cough cough* Not it doesn't)

:wacko:/> My OCD wants to kill me for seeing that... Again, if its made by Apple, it looks shiny.

I mean WTF?
They must have been drunk while making that...
HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE

I'm actually considering making a LOLCode interpreter in CC.

Oh, mark my words, I will hunt you down and kill you. Even if you do live in a fictional town.

Just a side note, how do you go about making an interpreter, do you have an example/tutorial?

#30 Dlcruz129

    What's a Lua?

  • Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

 oeed, on 04 March 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

 Dlcruz129, on 04 March 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

 oeed, on 04 March 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

It is quite obvious that LOLCode has the sexiest/best syntax (*cough cough* Not it doesn't)

:wacko:/>/> My OCD wants to kill me for seeing that... Again, if its made by Apple, it looks shiny.

I mean WTF?
They must have been drunk while making that...
HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD!"
KTHXBYE

I'm actually considering making a LOLCode interpreter in CC.

Oh, mark my words, I will hunt you down and kill you. Even if you do live in a fictional town.

Just a side note, how do you go about making an interpreter, do you have an example/tutorial?

To be honest, I've never tried, but here's an outline in pseudo code.

Iterate through the lines of a file.
Use the string API to search each line for lolcode statements.
Separate the statement and arguments.
Call a Lua function based on the statement and arguments.

#31 SuicidalSTDz

    Permutator of Strings

  • Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

So how about that VisualBasic ;)

#32 Sammich Lord

    IRC Addict

  • Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

So how about that VisualBasic ;)
Visual Basic has the worst syntax.

#33 SuicidalSTDz

    Permutator of Strings

  • Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

 Sammich Lord, on 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

So how about that VisualBasic ;)
Visual Basic has the worst syntax.
It does. I think that the creator of VisualBasic was a troll personally :P

#34 Sammich Lord

    IRC Addict

  • Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

 Sammich Lord, on 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

So how about that VisualBasic ;)
Visual Basic has the worst syntax.
It does. I think that the creator of VisualBasic was a troll personally :P
I had a damn script kiddie tell me VB was better than C#. I sat there silently.

#35 SuicidalSTDz

    Permutator of Strings

  • Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

 Sammich Lord, on 04 March 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

 Sammich Lord, on 04 March 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

 SuicidalSTDz, on 04 March 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

So how about that VisualBasic ;)
Visual Basic has the worst syntax.
It does. I think that the creator of VisualBasic was a troll personally :P
I had a damn script kiddie tell me VB was better than C#. I sat there silently.
The nerve of people :D VB is way too limited for my liking.

#36 AnthonyD98™

  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

I did a bit of java programming and now I hate Java

:D

#37 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

 AnthonyD98™, on 04 March 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

I did a bit of java programming and now I hate Java

:D

Everyone hates Java. Especially Apple for some reason.

#38 tesla1889

  • Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

nonono. the worst syntax is not VB. i wish it were, but it is not.
bancstar is waaaaaaaay on up there

 oeed, on 04 March 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

--snip--
Everyone hates Java. Especially Apple for some reason.

i dont hate java

#39 SuicidalSTDz

    Permutator of Strings

  • Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

 tesla1889, on 04 March 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

nonono. the worst syntax is not VB. i wish it were, but it is not.
bancstar is waaaaaaaay on up there
This is true... Although LOLCode is bad, bancstar is much, much worse

#40 oeed

    Oversimplifier

  • Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

 tesla1889, on 04 March 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

nonono. the worst syntax is not VB. i wish it were, but it is not.
bancstar is waaaaaaaay on up there

 oeed, on 04 March 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

--snip--
Everyone hates Java. Especially Apple for some reason.

i dont hate java

In time, you will.
The real reason Notch left Minecraft is because he realised he just made a game in the worlds (2nd) worst programming language. True story, bro.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users