#41 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostScruffyRules, on 11 March 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

I tried making it as the TextEdit icon. If you can make an icon that wil fit I'd love to use it, I just found the notes fit better.
Bear in mind that the icons are 3 x 2.
alright then i'll give it a go! :P BTW im 90% sure but do you have OSX?

Yes, I do. Wouldn't use Windows if I had to :P (Please don't start flame war *fingers crossed*)

#42 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostTheOriginalBIT, on 11 March 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

I tried making it as the TextEdit icon. If you can make an icon that wil fit I'd love to use it, I just found the notes fit better.
Bear in mind that the icons are 3 x 2.
Down side to the size limit :( should make it touch screen on the largest monitor! :P If your argument against is 'no right-click' then look at my misc scripts section of my programs thread, i have a monitor right-click script.

Also check out my programs post for some terminal command programs you can use in this (in the General Programs that replicate Mac OS X) ;)

PearOS will automatically detect a monitor and will use that. Thanks I'll take a look.

#43 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

PearOS will automatically detect a monitor and will use that. Thanks I'll take a look.
Nice! :)

#44 ScruffyRules

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

EDIT: Are we allowed chars in the picture?

#45 InputUsername

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

First of all: PearOS looks great, although I personally ​hate OSX (no flamewar intended). I played around with the 'operating system' for a while and I'm definitely fond of its graphical aspect.

On the other hand, I did experience flickering (note: I used CC-emu, so it's not PearOS's fault; though it would be great to see a fix) and I frequently encountered errors, for example when just dragging/resizing a window or clicking another section in the 'system preferences' application.

Also, when you drag a window outside the 'view' (screen), is it possible to retrieve it, if yes, how?

----
More or less off-topic: I don't know if you're still in need of people to make apps for PearOS, but if you are, I would love to help. I do think that you should somehow add documentation, so developers can make PearOS .app 'files'.
----

Nonetheless, a great ComputerCraft operating system, of which I hope it will get a lot better in the future!

#46 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostDlcruz129, on 11 March 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Write an installer on Pastebin. It's a hassle to download a zip.

I will in the release version, this was just a quick preview for people to get a feel of what it is like.

View PostScruffyRules, on 11 March 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

EDIT: Are we allowed chars in the picture?

Well, I'm going to say yes, I wanted to add that. However, I couldn't find a format that supports it and haven't had time to make one.
See here for more details: http://www.computerc...r-image-format/
Apparently there is a Nitrofingers format but I'm not sure how to use it.

View PostInputUsername, on 12 March 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

First of all: PearOS looks great, although I personally ​hate OSX (no flamewar intended). I played around with the 'operating system' for a while and I'm definitely fond of its graphical aspect.

On the other hand, I did experience flickering (note: I used CC-emu, so it's not PearOS's fault; though it would be great to see a fix) and I frequently encountered errors, for example when just dragging/resizing a window or clicking another section in the 'system preferences' application.

Also, when you drag a window outside the 'view' (screen), is it possible to retrieve it, if yes, how?

----
More or less off-topic: I don't know if you're still in need of people to make apps for PearOS, but if you are, I would love to help. I do think that you should somehow add documentation, so developers can make PearOS .app 'files'.
----

Nonetheless, a great ComputerCraft operating system, of which I hope it will get a lot better in the future!

Yea, with the flickering, I'm going to try to fix it. Currently the screen redraws every second but I should be able to prevent that from being needed.
Chasing down errors is always fun... especially with the way PearOS works. But I will definitely get rid of them.
With this retrieving windows, I don't quite understand the problem really. You can't completely drag a window off screen, unless its to the right it suppose, then there is only the close button. How is done in actual operating systems?

With the applications, yes, anyone who is interested is welcome to make one. I will start making a documentation very soon.

#47 Sora Firestorm

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Wow... this looks pretty nice. And this is coming from an anti-Apple person. :)
I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising.

Quick question - How modular is PearOS? (ie if I want to replace the OSX look, do I need to replace alot?)
Not to detract from the work, but RunAsSudo made an awesome proof of concept OS where most of the
pieces (including the desktop environment) were modular and replaceable. As much as I like his vision behind
it, I definitely feel the 'proof of concept' aspect of it. Maybe PearOS will take that model to the next level?

At any rate, this looks great, can't wait to try it out.

~Sora

#48 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostSora the Hedgehog, on 12 March 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Wow... this looks pretty nice. And this is coming from an anti-Apple person. :)
I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising.

Quick question - How modular is PearOS? (ie if I want to replace the OSX look, do I need to replace alot?)
Not to detract from the work, but RunAsSudo made an awesome proof of concept OS where most of the
pieces (including the desktop environment) were modular and replaceable. As much as I like his vision behind
it, I definitely feel the 'proof of concept' aspect of it. Maybe PearOS will take that model to the next level?

At any rate, this looks great, can't wait to try it out.

~Sora

In short, it would be easy to replace the OS X look. However, much of the core design (Dock, the menu bar, etc) is based on OSX. Do bear in mind that PearOS uses the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported Licence. So you are not allowed to make derivative works (with out my permission) See http://creativecommo...s/by-nc-nd/3.0/ for more information.
I haven't see that OS, looks interesting.

#49 Sora Firestorm

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Ah, okay. I'm not used to that look, that's all. (and it was more a hypothetical question, this look is nice :) )
So, I get that 'public' derivs aren't okay... what about private? (ie single player, personal server, stuff on a small scale like that)

#50 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostSora the Hedgehog, on 12 March 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Ah, okay. I'm not used to that look, that's all. (and it was more a hypothetical question, this look is nice :) )
So, I get that 'public' derivs aren't okay... what about private? (ie single player, personal server, stuff on a small scale like that)
I don't see anything wrong with tinkering around with it, seeing how it works etc.

#51 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Real operating systems allow you to move windows entirely off-screen. Of course, you cannot get them there with the mouse.

Amusingly, this is one of the areas where LyqydOS departs from actual OSs, in that (currently) windows cannot be moved off-screen in any part.

The flickering may be easiest solved by buffering the screen output and comparing it against new draws so that only changed lines need to be redrawn, and then only redrawing those lines when the program yields. That's how I killed the flickering in LyqydOS. :)

#52 Sora Firestorm

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Just downloaded - Got a crash on system startup:

paintutils:92: attempt to get length of nil

I tried looking through all of the executables, but I didn't find anything.

EDIT : And please, could you not use spaces in names? The shell doesn't like having spaces in the name.

#53 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Did you copy everything correctly? No one else has had this problem, redownload it.

With this spaces issue, I don't see what the problem is. PearOS never (excluding startup, which isn't really shell anyway) uses the shell, it is designed to use files with spaces.

#54 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostSora the Hedgehog, on 12 March 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

And please, could you not use spaces in names? The shell doesn't like having spaces in the name.
Its ok, if he finishes terminal it will like the spaces. since UNIX loves spaces and is fine with it (and when its no you use the escape '\ ')

#55 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

View Postoeed, on 12 March 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Did you copy everything correctly? No one else has had this problem, redownload it.

With this spaces issue, I don't see what the problem is. PearOS never (excluding startup, which isn't really shell anyway) uses the shell, it is designed to use files with spaces.
Actually, I have the same problem. I didn't say anything because I thought it was just my stupid computer, hah.

#56 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostKingdaro, on 12 March 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

Actually, I have the same problem. I didn't say anything because I thought it was just my stupid computer, hah.

I did have the same problem ;(

#57 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

View Postkornichen, on 13 March 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

View PostKingdaro, on 12 March 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

I did have the same problem ;(

Ok, thanks, as this as happened to three people it probably is an error on my part, I'll try to fix it. Just to check do you see a blank white for about a second then it crashes?

#58 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I see a blank white, the pearOS logo, the desktop for a very small fraction of a second, then it crashes.

#59 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

I tried to open a new text edit file...didn't work so then I clicked on close and it crashed
TextEdit: 76 - failed to open

Other than that this OS is amazing!

#60 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostKingdaro, on 13 March 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

I see a blank white, the pearOS logo, the desktop for a very small fraction of a second, then it crashes.
Ok, the only images it loads are the dock icons. So there are probably applications that aren't actually there. I'll add a default icon or something.

View Postawsumben13, on 13 March 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

I tried to open a new text edit file...didn't work so then I clicked on close and it crashed
TextEdit: 76 - failed to open

Other than that this OS is amazing!
Ok thanks, I've added to the (rather large) list of bus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users