Jupiter OS

Now at version 1.11

Get the Installer Here:
http://pastebin.com/WQX8hhYk

Or

pastebin get WQX8hhYk jupiterInstall

Changelog:
Spoiler

There are too many individual features to list, so here's a (very) brief summary. Check the manual and screenshots below to get more details.

Jupiter is an Operating System designed to streamline the experience of using a computer.

The Home Screen
Make shortcuts to quickly access any program you can normally run. These shortcuts are able to be viewed as icons or in a list. You can customize these shortcuts to make the Home Screen suit your needs.

Customization!
Jupiter's color scheme is fully modifiable, so you can style the OS to match your tastes. Many options can be customized and easily accessed in one place.

File Browser
While Jupiter will work with any file browser, it also comes with its own as well. The File Browser makes browsing files much easier and more stylish, while still offering powerful functionality.

Power
Jupiter allows tasks to be done with less effort than before. With features such as directly going from pastebin to the Home Screen, Jupiter works to make tasks more efficient.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Manual:

Spoiler

Once installed, you can update Jupiter from OS Settings.

Because this is newly released and is a large enough project, there are bound to be bugs and issues that I haven't found, so feel free to inform me of anything you find. I plan to add new features and functionality as time goes on, so also feel free to make any recommendations!

#2 Sxw

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationWhenever, Wherever!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Looks like you put a lot of effort into to this. Nice job!

#3 lieudusty

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Very nice looking!

#4 darkroom

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I love this OS and I have been looking for a nice Graphical UI. Anyway here are some things you can add:
You can terminate out of the lock screen so you might want to add something like this
local bool = true
local oldPullEvent = os.pullEvent
function toggleTerminate()
   if bool then
	  os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw
   else
	  os.pullEvent = oldPullEvent
   end
   bool = not bool
end
Also there is minor flickering sooooo you might want to look into a buffer system. I can make you one if you want. PM me?

#5 SuicidalSTDz

Permutator of Strings

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

This is amazing. The amount of time this took has to be a substantial amount. Everything is so nicely laid out and I congratulate you for that. Keep up the extraodinary work!

#6 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationThat place over there. Y'know. The one where I am.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Great work! Now I have to think of more features to add to my upcoming one to make it better than yours...

This is great, easy to use, nice looking UI, it's really good! Keep it up!

#7 AnDwHaT5

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Wow im impressed that is if you made ALL of the files yourself do post if you did because if you did damn your amazing for the simple fact of dedication toward such a huge project.

#8 Negeator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationThe Shivering Isles

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys!

View Postdarkroom, on 21 March 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

You can terminate out of the lock screen so you might want to add something like this

It also appears that I can terminate out of the main Jupiter program, which was a fix I did awhile back during development that probably never got saved. Anyways, both the lock screen and Jupter's main program should no longer allow termination. You can update and it should be at version 1.01.

View Postdarkroom, on 21 March 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

Also there is minor flickering sooooo you might want to look into a buffer system. I can make you one if you want. PM me?

Yeah, I definitely think some optimizations should be done there. I'll try looking into it in a bit when I have time and if I need help I'll definitely PM you. Thanks for the offer!

View PostAnDwHaT5, on 21 March 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

Wow im impressed that is if you made ALL of the files yourself do post if you did because if you did damn your amazing for the simple fact of dedication toward such a huge project.

Yeah, so far all of this is made by myself. I was excited by the release of color and mouse support and made most of this shortly after. Most of this was actually done a long time ago around Christmas time, though I got busy and burned out on Minecraft for a few months. It wasn't until recently I finally decided to make some finishing touches (updating online, etc) and post this for others to use.

#9 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

That's one awesome looking os

#10 FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L)

• Banned
  • 435 posts
  • LocationThe left part of this post

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

you should add windows(movable and resizazble) that uses term redirections to work(i dont like need to rewrite all a program for work with windows)

#11 Negeator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

View Posturielsalis, on 22 March 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

you should add windows(movable and resizazble) that uses term redirections to work(i dont like need to rewrite all a program for work with windows)

Well, one great thing is that programs do not have to be re-written to work with Jupiter. While windows can be really nice, with the low resolution we have it would be difficult to fit most programs in a smaller/resizable window. From a design perspective I think that windows aren't necessarily the best approach with ComputerCraft computers, so I decided to keep everything full screen. That's just my opinion, though. What would be awesome, however, would be multitasking, so you can still have multiple programs open at the same time and can easily switch between them. I'd have to look into how to actually go about implementing that, but that would a possibility.

#12 MindenCucc

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location/home/marcus/

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

COOL. The file explorer looks like Dos shell on my old Windows 3.1 computer :)

#13 ardera

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Wow thats one of the best OSes I've ever seen! Probably even the best OS I've ever seen! :)
It's really awesome, so try to keep up the great work :)

#14 SuicidalSTDz

Permutator of Strings

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

View Postardera, on 22 March 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

Wow thats one of the best OSes I've ever seen! Probably even the best OS I've ever seen! :)
It's really awesome, so try to keep up the great work :)
*cough* Graphical Shell *cough* It is a very nice one though. I am loving everything about it, the UI's, the customization features, all of it really ^_^

#15 Negeator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've made an update to Jupiter (now at version 1.1).

Updates include:
  • New "Widget" system that allows for simple programs that don't write to the terminal to be ran in the background. This is great for monitor clocks/screensavers, rednet servers, etc. These can easily be added through a new tab in OS Settings, which has been expanded to allow room for more types of options in the future. Once you restart, any updates to the widgets list will be applied.
  • Can now switch from 24 hour or 12 hour modes on the clock.
  • The time on the home screen is now clickable to view more information. Currently only displays the day, but I could put more detailed time information there.
  • Clicking on a modem in the peripherals menu (home screen) now toggles it open/closed.
  • Peripherals Menu button toggle behavior works better.
Jupiter now comes with one widget called "clockWidget", which is a monitor clock that uses your Jupiter theme as its color scheme. It dynamically centers the time based on monitor size and displays time in the 24-hour format if the monitor is too short in length to fit the 12-hour format.

Here's a couple pictures

Spoiler

#16 SilentKnight1253

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Nice work but would it be posible if you put a startup screen and maybe a muti user login screen?

#17 gamax92

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

This seems well developed and nice - Pros:
I will thank you for not putting a startup screen. Many people who put this in their "operating system" just do it for the fun.
Even worse when they add random sleeps and lines that do nothing. If you even make a startup screen, only do it because you actually need to.
The settings screen is nice to use, i like how when tabs fall off screen it doesn't wrap below.
Its also good that you made an api called jupiterDraw instead of writing the same code several times in each program.

This "operating system" is kinda weird and quarky. - Cons:
Pressing Ctrl-T at the main screen says Terminated and some lines on screen get scrolled, but then the clock keeps going.
It also doesn't protect its files. Anyone with this could just run the lua prompt, use shell.run("/rom/programs/shell") and delete startup.
The clock will read 12AM as 0AM
The screen tends to flicker quite a lot when updating, do you not only update screen changes?
When there is no disk drive, the DJ will flash a message about No music disk, but will disseaper instantly.
Also, I see the task bar at the bottom, but running a program doesn't make the task bar stay, instead the program takes over the screen.

This really just seems like a Graphical shell at the moment, but this is some nice progress and work.

#18 SuicidalSTDz

Permutator of Strings

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

View Postgamax92, on 24 March 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Anyone with this could just run the lua prompt, use shell.run("/rom/programs/shell") and delete startup.
That matters why? He did his role; making the OS. If someone wants to be a 'dick' and delete it, then that is on them. It is truely sickening hearing 'Oh, you can delete startup'. Lua is NOT meant to be safe. It never was. Get over it and let the dev of this OS handle it how he wants to handle it.

#19 MindenCucc

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location/home/marcus/

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

I really like the new update :D That Clock on my top monitor :)

#20 NonStopGamer

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wow, this is possibly the best OS I've seen.

Suggestion: in the post, put spaces in between the pictures so it is easier to tell apart.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users