[1.3+][OS] WolfOS 1.3.3

214 replies to this topic

#1 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Posted Image

Welcome to WolfOS, my Operating System overhaul for ComputerCraft. It is designed to be easy to use and has a user-friendly "text based" User Interface.

Latest News:

- I have shut down the WolfOS website, please go to my new website instead!

- Follow the development of 2.0.0 on GitHub!

- Check out the #wolfos IRC channel!

A download link and installation instructions can be found at the bottom of the post!

WolfOS does not overwrite any mod files, and is installed to each individual computer, in game.

- The OS currently has four native programs/utilities: File Browser, Disk Manager, Music Player and Text Editor. More will come!
- File Browser is used to view, move, copy, delete, and edit files on the computer.
- Disk Manager can rename, clone, and format floppy disks.
- Music Player plays music disks, obviously!
- Text Editor is for creating and editing .txt files.
- You log in with User Accounts, which you can create and save onto disks; or alternatively you can log in with the computer's Local User Account.
- The current program is displayed at the top of the screen.
- A Primary Drive can be set, which will be the default disk drive, and where User Account disks are automatically read from.
- The print mode can be changed between slow (animated) and fast. (Now set per user rather than per computer)
- User Account ID and Passcode (including the Local Account's) can be changed in the Control Panel, and the Local User Account can be reset from here too.
- All system info can be found in the System Information page in the Control Panel.
- Finally, WolfOS is installed via floppy disk, so it does not overwrite any files at all.

Note: The default passcode for the Local User Account is blank: "", so don't forget to change it!

Please suggest new programs and features/changes to the OS!

Latest Videos

Changelog
29/05/2012 - v1.3.3
- Fixed the installation bug that tried to install a non-existent file. Sorry guys!

Spoiler

Credits

- tomass1996 for his String Utils API, part of which is included and used in WolfOS.
- MysticT for his bit32 lib and hash implementations, and for his Sync API, which are included and used in WolfOS.
- CoolisTheName007 for his require() implementation, which has been modified and used in WolfOS.
- Both Cloudy and Pharap for their help.
- max96at for his great suggestions, for being a Beta tester, and for making the WolfOS banner!
- The rest of the community for providing freely available resources to help improve my Lua knowledge; and for all your support and feedback!

Installation Instructions

Start by creating a new floppy disk in game and set it a label. Then in the /computer/disk folder in your worldsave, open the labels.txt file and find the ID# that corresponds to the disk label you just set. That is the new disk.
From there, drop the contents of the '1' folder inside the .zip into the numbered folder that matches the ID# that corresponds to your disk you just created.

Next, insert that floppy disk into a computer and restart it. A menu should appear giving you options of which programs you would like to install. Next you will see the OS files being copied onto the computer, and once the on-screen prompt appears, pressing any key will eject the disk and reboot the computer again. You should now see that WolfOS is running on your computer!

Mediafire Link:

WolfOS 1.3.3: http://www.mediafire...e2775q7xgkzb4ie

WolfOS 1.3.1 http://www.mediafire...dx1hv263fymm2sz
WolfOS 1.3.0: http://www.mediafire...1ra0q4hevwe4ee3

Edited by toxicwolf, 04 April 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#2 Mads

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

This looks very cool! I'm definately gonna try it when 1.3 comes out!

#3 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

View Postmad, on 08 April 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

Thanks! I've been working a lot on semi-related things such as the newsboard package shown in the teaser vieo which will also be released as part of 1.3.0. Fun fact, I'm in my 23rd hour of the re-write, and It's 9:25am. Don't you love all nighters? :P/>

#4 Mads

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

View Posttoxicwolf, on 08 April 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Thanks! I've been working a lot on semi-related things such as the newsboard package shown in the teaser vieo which will also be released as part of 1.3.0. Fun fact, I'm in my 23rd hour of the re-write, and It's 9:25am. Don't you love all nighters? :P/>
Lol, depends xD

#5 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

View Postmad, on 08 April 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

View Posttoxicwolf, on 08 April 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Lol, depends xD
Haha. So anyhow, just went to test and my startup file is throwing an "attempt to index a nil value" error as soon as it gets to one of my API function calls...Not entirely sure what it means; the api is loaded, all correct variables and variable types are given...?

#6 Mads

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Well, I can't help you if you don't goive me error line and code xD

#7 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Postmad, on 08 April 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

Agh, sorry, that was rather vague wasn't it? :P/> Its all sorted now, as bizarre as the error was... I think I'm just going to go and hide away in my code again and stop bothering everyone in this nice community

#8 Mads

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

View Posttoxicwolf, on 08 April 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Agh, sorry, that was rather vague wasn't it? :P/> Its all sorted now, as bizarre as the error was... I think I'm just going to go and hide away in my code again and stop bothering everyone in this nice community
Well, we are here to help so you can ask for (almost) anything you wan't :D/>

#9 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

View Postmad, on 08 April 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

View Posttoxicwolf, on 08 April 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

Agh, sorry, that was rather vague wasn't it? :D/> Its all sorted now, as bizarre as the error was... I think I'm just going to go and hide away in my code again and stop bothering everyone in this nice community
Well, we are here to help so you can ask for (almost) anything you wan't :)/>
Haha :P/> But really, thanks, I appreciate it :)/>

#10 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Okay guys, so just a quick update on the rewrite progress.

Right now WolfOS is about 90% rewritten, and I've just started on WolfNB (News Board).

#11 dobisan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yahooo o/
Message board is an awesome idea!
Thanks for this OS. :P/>

#12 djblocksaway

Epic Coderz

• New Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

View Posttoxicwolf, on 08 April 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

WolfOS 1.2

Welcome to WolfOS, my Operating System overhaul for ComputerCraft. It is designed to be easy to use and has a user-friendly "text based" User Interface.

A download link and installation instructions can be found at the bottom of the post!

WolfOS does not overwrite any mod files, and is installed to each individual computer, in game. While it is currently undergoing a complete re-write from the ground up (stay tuned on that!), the slightly primitive version 1.2 is available here and contains a range of features; most of which are covered below.

- The OS currently has three native programs: File Browser, Disk Manager and Music Player. More will come!
- File Browser is used to view, move, copy, delete, and edit files on the computer.
- DIsk Manager can rename, clone, and format floppy disks.
- Music Player plays music disks, obviously!
- You log in with User Accounts, which you can create and save onto disks; or alternatively you can log in with the computer's Local User Account.
- The current program, Computer ID# and the current logged in User Account are displayed at the top of the screen, along with the version of WolfOS you are running.
- A Primary Drive can be set, which will be the default disk drive, and where User Account disks are automatically read from.
- The print mode can be changed between slow (animated) and fast.
- User Account ID and Passcode (including the Local Account's) can be changed in the Control Panel, and the Local User Account can be reset from here too.
- Finally, WolfOS is installed via floppy disk, so it does not overwrite any files at all.

Note: The default passcode for the Local User Account is blank: "".

Please suggest new programs and features/changes to the OS!

Latest Videos

1.3.0 Teaser:

1.1/1.2 Changes:

Changelog

20/02/12 - v1.0
- Initial release

26/02/12 - v1.1
- Moved all files into /rom/wolfos/ sub-directory.
- Computer and floppy data files are now stores in the /data/ directory and /disk/data/ directory respectively.
- Major code rewrite and code optimizations. Added WolfOS API to define most functions rather than individually defined by each program script.
- Added the User Account Control Panel.
- Added disk mount path handling to differentiate between disks from multiple drives.
- Improved the Y/N conformation menus (automatic continue on either Y or N button press).
- Command input is now case insensitive.
- Added option to disable/enable slow printing.
- Added options in the Control Panel to change user name and password (for the Local Account too!).
- Added option in the Control Panel to reset the Local User Account.
- Added option in the main menu to run directly in the shell (how ComputerCraft normally works) for debugging etc.
- Removed the file "nouser" - its function is now handled directly through the WolfOS API.

11/03/12 - v1.2
- Removed all dependencies on the bios.lua and shell files from vanilla ComputerCraft.
- Made WolfOS installable via floppy disk only - no more global install.
- Added ability to run programs from disks the program menu, allowing install disks etc.
- Fixed File Browser with a workaround for the Shell API problem, displays current directory plus some miscellaneous tweaks.
- File Browser can now only edit/create .txt files - prevents creation/viewing of programs (program writing suit will come soon!).
- The List command in the File Browser now prints in the correct print mode.
- Fixed the format disk function in the Disk Manager by removing dependency on the Shell API. Seems stable so far.
- Merged all the OS data files (/data/local.dat, /data/pdrive.dat etc.) into one file /data/data.dat.

Coming in Next Release

Version 1.3.0 is a complete re-write of the whole operating system from the ground up. Why? I have wanted to for a while, but I finally got fed up with the messy code, the unnecessary functions and the oversized WolfOS API. As it stands now, the new WAPI is around one third of the old API, whilst still retaining all (if not more) functionality. It is a lot cleaner and a lot more efficient. There is also a second WOLF (Wolf OS Library of File functions perhaps? :D/>) api which contains a load of decent functions to help with writing to and reading from files.
Over a hundred changes had been made since the release of v1.2 and before the re-write; most of which have gone undocumented. Rest assured, WolfOS is coming back (to hang out with the bigger boys this time :D/>), and it's bigger and better than ever before.

Installation Instructions

If you have reached this point of the post and still want to install the severely inferior v1.2 of WolfOS (I don't blame you if you don't! :P/>) then I congratulate and thank you (and question your sanity! :)/>).
In the WolfOS 1.2.zip file there is a folder named "1". Change this number to the number of the desired floppy disk ID#, and drop it into your world save and insert that floppy disk into a computer and restart it. Next you will see the OS files being copied onto the computer, and once the on-screen prompt appears, pressing any key will eject the disk and reboot the computer again. You should now see that WolfOS 1.2 is running on your computer!

NOTE: Unlike all previous versions of WolfOS, the Operating System is installed in-game, completely independent of all other computers.

Mediafire Links:
WolfOS 1.2: http://www.mediafire...ops21m1a7m9n02i

o.O nice work cant wait till this comes out if you want me to test i would be happy to and dont forget to update the post on: http://mccraftcpl.pr...s.com/index.cgi
:)/> just thought i would let u know.

keep up the good work :D/>

#13 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks guys for all the comments :)/> I've been taking a little bit of time off, but I'm getting nearer to completion.

View Postdjblocksaway, on 13 April 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

o.O nice work cant wait till this comes out if you want me to test i would be happy to and dont forget to update the post on: http://mccraftcpl.pr...s.com/index.cgi
:)/> just thought i would let u know.

keep up the good work :)/>
And yeah, I have kinda forgotten about the old thread :)/>
Also, I would like someone to do some testing when the next version is almost at the release stage. Do you have a way for me to contact you nearer the time?

#14 Zombiebrine

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Eta on 1.3? Imsuper exited for it :)/>

#15 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostZombiebrine, on 16 April 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Eta on 1.3? Imsuper exited for it :)/>
Thanks! :)/> I really don't want to tie myself to an ETA right now, considering I've just started back at school for my last term and everything is very hectic with the forthcoming exams. There's also a few very persistent and annoying bugs that I'm going to have to try and work around.

It could be potentially released by the weekend, but don't hold me to that! :)/>

#16 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Okay guys, just a quick update before I head off to bed :)/>

I haven't forgotten about WolfOS, as a matter of fact, most of the work I've been doing recently is laying the ground work for some of the bigger features and ideas I have in mind. I still can't say a release date yet, it very much depends on what I decide to finish up and on how much I include in the 1.3.0 update. It also depends on what you guys would like to see from this update - would you be happy with just the normal OS, without the new secret features?

Anyhow, with the proximity of the exams and my time left at school now being measured in weeks and days, there is almost no chance for me to do a substantial amount of development to WolfOS, so please hang on in there and bear with me!
I appreciate all the positive comments and I apologise for being rather absent!

Toxic Wolf

UPDATE: WolfOS 1.3.0 Released! See the OP for details and download.

Edited by toxicwolf, 06 May 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#17 Deinroh

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

How do you find floppy disk ID#? that's the only problem i have. also, im running the mod on Technic, so i wanted to make sure that i just throw the renamed folder into the save right? no more folder opening to do?

#18 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostDeinroh, on 13 May 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

How do you find floppy disk ID#? that's the only problem i have. also, im running the mod on Technic, so i wanted to make sure that i just throw the renamed folder into the save right? no more folder opening to do?
The best way would be to create a new floppy disk in game and set it a label. Then in the /computer/disk folder in your worldsave, open the labels.txt file and find the ID# that corresponds to the disk label you just set. That is the new disk.
From there, drop the contents of the '1' folder inside the .zip into the numbered folder that matches the ID# that corresponds to your disk you just created.

Hopefully that helps!

Also, don't ask me anything about Tekkit or the Technic Pack, I have never used them and I don't know if they make ComputerCraft run any differently, but they shouldn't. My guess is that everything should be fine with the instructions I wrote above :P/>

#19 EricTurner

• New Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

I love the os, but i have a question, how can you display things on a monitor using the os?

#20 toxicwolf

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostEricTurner, on 20 May 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

I love the os, but i have a question, how can you display things on a monitor using the os?
I'm glad you're enjoying it :D/> As of right now, there is no direct monitor support. That being said though, it is on my list of things to do, and the framework is already there to support this feature, so I won't have to do much to finish adding it in.

In my development branch of the code, I am busy adding new features to the WAPI, chaning how things are handled, and experimenting with new UI looks (mainly less intruding and cluttered). I am also working on the big new features that I keep mentioning, and I will now go ahead and finish off the monitor support, seeing as it has been requested :P/>

UPDATE: This morning (whilst I should have been revising just before an exam xD ) I went ahead and finished up the monitor support! It is simple to use, and also supports Espen's Syncronized Tutorial POC (http://www.computerc...edirection-poc/) if it is installed, but will work fine without it too.

If there is enough demand, then I will release a new patch today including the latest changes I have made to the OS; otherwise I will just continue ploughing on through my TO-DO list.

Edited by toxicwolf, 21 May 2012 - 03:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users