PlatformMe - creating platform games with ease. [re-make in progress][expect no update for long time!]]

game utility

20 replies to this topic

#21 ArchAngel075

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

So after much typing, fiddling and frustration...

no update! ...

Simply because I've decided to re-write everything from the ground up.

Why :
Currently the program is too damn buggy, the ay it stored data is horrible (i whent file read crazy) and there is that annoying stuck key bug...

BUT
I currently have a fixed up rework in progress, it already has a smoother tick system that has zero sticky-keying and the new system for storing variables on entities and Tiles will be more easier to work with.

Currently in beta 4 this is how id want to access X-position of a tile within its own script : getData(this,"Tile","positionX") , and that returns as a string so we still need to use "tonumber()" do use it in other places...

how getting variables in the new system will work : Tile[index].Xpos . thats it! Yes i discovered how to store values in tables and then get that value using a named variable (ie table = {Xpos = 25} ) thus we can now gain infomation much more smoothly! also to get non defualt variables we use tile[index].var.variable_name we even return what variables it has using this method and more!

say for instance we have 2 maps, m1 and m2. using this system we can get data from each seperatly with m#.Tile.etc Also the way we insert the data is no more based on a annoying file.readLine(), instead the raw-map files are actual programs that just use table.insert(_Tiles,Tile). So writing a program that automatically does this for us is pretty easy!

Version wise of the remake is making this all the way to the point of where version 4.1 would be (that is where we are now in v4 but with light handling code).
A rename of the program is in order, but im unsure of what name to use.. feel free to throw some out there....

I looked into a gui based programming utility similar to gui based warcraft3 map making and realised that string.find(str,"(") doesnt work. Back to the drawing board!

Annnnd lastly : i will work on a game of my own using the new system to fully show off the utilities...
BUT till then i will be very silent on this post until the remakes release. I ask kindly for any and all requests to be given! If its given early, I can plan it and have it in the remake early.

oh and credit to brett122798 who gave me the realisation of the above things to do with tables! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users