1184 replies to this topic

#1121 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

View Postadamsonich, on 24 February 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

And i was right there is no NEI support for turtles. For example we have sensor, turtle and sensor turtle. I know how to craft sensor turtle. But if click on sensor turtle i dont see recept for "sensor turtle"
Ahh yeah okay that's not us, thats ComputerCraft, any peripheral that can be attached to a Turtle that isn't vanilla doesn't show in NEI. but there is no need anyway, its always the same, place a peripheral on the left or right side of the Turtle in the crafting table, its not difficult.

View Postallquan, on 24 February 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Would it be possible to re-add the support for GregTech setX/Y/Z, getX/Y/Z methods to the teleporter?
Would be very nice :)
GregTech == Nope.

#1122 Mikeemoo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Right, lets clear some things up.

Firstly, there isn't on-line documentation, nor will there ever be any official on-line documentation while I'm 'in charge' of the mod/website. All documentation is in-game and needs to stay there.

OpenPeripheral supports interfaces, not specific blocks. We don't *know* what the methods are on the majority of blocks, because we don't have a list of exactly what interfaces each block supports. Hell, we don't even know all the mods and blocks out there! Mods are constantly changing, new blocks are regularly getting added.
We've tried to have online documentation in the past and it was a nightmare to keep updated. It was a pointless task, especially when mods occasionally change what interfaces they support. No, there will never be an official wiki either. Wikis fall out of date.

Feel free to make your own documentation websites, I don't mind/care - Although I warn you it'll start to get very time consuming and messy when you have to cope with multiple versions of mods, multiple versions of OpenPeripheral, mods that only implement certain interfaces if they detect other mods are installed.. etc..

The docs are in-game. Instructions on reading the docs are in the original post in this thread. If you're not happy with them being in-game then write a program that'll pastebin the docs for you.
p.getAdvancedMethodsData() has *all* the information you'll ever need.
If you're not happy with the stock documentation program then feel free to write your own or use one of the many programs out there that people have made.

If anyone has any bugs with OpenPeripheral, post them on our bug tracker if you're reasonably sure it's not already posted and fixed.

And before anyone says it: No. Having outdated on-line docs is not better than having no on-line docs. In game docs are accurate and up to date.

Thanks

Edited by Mikeemoo, 25 February 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#1123 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for updating the op. :)

#1124 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

The "new" .getAdvancedMethodsData() and in-game documentation is perfect, because you accually can used it for your programs.
Furthermore, i allready saw programs which read the documentation and upload files to pastebin. Even thought i dont find that useful :S

#1125 adamsonich

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Thank You that You update first page!!!

also it may be great if You add this three blocks of text "clearing" info for newbies

"OpenPeripheral supports interfaces, not specific blocks. We don't *know* what the methods are on the majority of blocks, because we don't have a list of exactly what interfaces each block supports. Hell, we don't even know all the mods and blocks out there! Mods are constantly changing, new blocks are regularly getting added.
We've tried to have online documentation in the past and it was a nightmare to keep updated. It was a pointless task, especially when mods occasionally change what interfaces they support. No, there will never be an official wiki either. Wikis fall out of date.

Although I warn you it'll start to get very time consuming and messy when you have to cope with multiple versions of mods, multiple versions of OpenPeripheral, mods that only implement certain interfaces if they detect other mods are installed.. etc.."

Edited by adamsonich, 26 February 2014 - 11:42 AM.

#1126 MechE_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

I am currently having trouble with pushing items into adjacent chests. I can push items up or down, but i cannot push items into trapped chests which would be connected either to the North,South,East , or West. I am using the latest versions on openperipheral.info 0.3.1, 0.2, 0.1.1. It attempts to push, but will only push to the inventory it is currently in, basically works as swapStacks. Also i wish for the functionality of pushItem, and pullItem to push to first available slot.

upon further testing. I can push items into trapped chests if they are directly in front or behind of one another. For double chests that would be on the long edge. both chests must either be double chests, or a double chest and a single chest in front or behind located in the right position: xx xx
x xx

#1127 ph1x3r

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostLicker, on 03 February 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

If anyone is looking for the old page with the documentation, I found something like this:
http://www.dnacraft....l/documentation

Back up on a local drive before it disappears from the internet :P

This information is already out of date!

For example, the Thermal Expansion tesseracts. Now there is only one combined tesseract, not the three separate ones.

The trouble with having thousands of information sources on the internet is figuring out which ones are correct!

OK. It isn't quite that bad and the site does have good examples for people to work on, but it is a good indication of why mikeemoo took the position he has and insisted that information about the methods a peripheral accepts is avalable in-game.

#1128 BellwarM

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Mikkeemoo can you add Api on formus or somewhere so i can see external from Minecraft? thx

Or if it is there please can you put link here?

Mikeemoo can you put API on forums i like to scroll over them and i cant find where they are on internet :(

#1129 Mikeemoo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Removed

Edited by Mikeemoo, 01 March 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#1130 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostBellwarM, on 28 February 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

Mikkeemoo can you add Api on formus or somewhere so i can see external from Minecraft? thx
I don't think that's going to happen.

I suggest reading the last few pages of this thread, there are a few methods thrown around as to how you can rig up an external view for yourself.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 01 March 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#1131 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostMikeemoo, on 01 March 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Removed
Mikeemoo responding tired and/or drunk === not a good idea :P

#1132 adamsonich

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

U can try to use outdate wiki:

But it's outdate and U still must check ingame.
From some version mod dont support mods blocks.

When mod makers makes new blocks in mods, they says to minecraft how game must interact with blocks. And OP make a shell to this information to CC functions.
So OP even do not know witch block it interact.

#1133 dstensnes

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

Feature request: Can we have a raytrace function? I wish to be able to look at something, and tell the bot to interact with that object. It would be nice to be able to look at something, and tell the bot to go there as well, which i suspect would be a similar issue, but might require a slightly different function, since you would look at a side of a block, and obtain the position next to the block actually looked at...

Pretty please? Love what you have done with it so far by the way :)

#1134 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

View Postadamsonich, on 03 March 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

U can try to use outdate wiki:

But it's outdate and U still must check ingame.
From some version mod dont support mods blocks.

When mod makers makes new blocks in mods, they says to minecraft how game must interact with blocks. And OP make a shell to this information to CC functions.
So OP even do not know witch block it interact.
Thank you for stating the obvious? Thank you for regurgitating what Mikee said? ... Was that what I was meant to say there?

View Postdstensnes, on 03 March 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

Feature request: Can we have a raytrace function? I wish to be able to look at something, and tell the bot to interact with that object. It would be nice to be able to look at something, and tell the bot to go there as well, which i suspect would be a similar issue, but might require a slightly different function, since you would look at a side of a block, and obtain the position next to the block actually looked at...

Pretty please? Love what you have done with it so far by the way :)
Sounds like a really cool idea for someone to implement using a little block we like to call the Sensor.

#1135 Gorfel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hello

Thank you Mikeemoo, for this wonderful Mod!
At the Moment I'm playing with the glasses.
To avoid the flickering, I would like to try to use the Objects, returned by the Methods like addBox.
To get the API of these Methods I wanted to use the docs-Program from Mikemoo's first Post in this Thread.

But then something strange happens. (see Picture)

I use server and client ChaosVille, provided via the ATLauncher.
Computercraft Version:1.5.8
OpenPeripheral Version: 0.2.1, Snapshot 112

Can Someone help me with this Problem?

Thanx
Martin

edit:
Hello again

I tested some more things.

I knew alredy, that the base-features of the glass works.
By reading trough the Forum I found some Methods of the addBox-Object. I Meanwhile tested out if they work, and they do. (For example boxobj.setX(value))
I can change the parameters of the obj while runtime.
But I dont know all the features the object would provide. And that's quite hard...

Perhaps this Info helps one of the lua-gurus... :-)

thanx
Martin

Posted Image

Edited by Gorfel, 04 March 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#1136 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

I have a question for the devs about the glasses. What is more efficient if i am updating the screen every two seconds:
Clear the whole screen and draw every single object e.g. box, text, ect. again or updating all the objects again.
Updating the objects would not clear the screen, but i would set all the properties of e.g. the box again (box.setX(5) box.setY(5) ect.)

#1137 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostUNOBTANIUM, on 04 March 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

I have a question for the devs about the glasses. What is more efficient if i am updating the screen every two seconds:
Clear the whole screen and draw every single object e.g. box, text, ect. again or updating all the objects again.
Updating the objects would not clear the screen, but i would set all the properties of e.g. the box again (box.setX(5) box.setY(5) ect.)
Update the objects. I'm not a dev but I know the mechanics where this is based on.

#1138 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Well, is deleting 10 objects and creating 10 objects better then creating them once and calling every single method of it again just to possibly change the coordination color or text ect? That would be (depending of the complexity) 4-10 calls per object every two seconds instead of once initializing the object with all the parameter needed.

#1139 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostGorfel, on 04 March 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

-snip-
Just use the following code
for k,v in pairs( textObj ) do
  print(k, " : ", v)
end
replacing textObj with any object that you wish to see the functions on. it won't tell you the arguments but it tells you the functions — which are all setters anyway so you don't need to know the args.

View PostUNOBTANIUM, on 04 March 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Well, is deleting 10 objects and creating 10 objects better then creating them once and calling every single method of it again just to possibly change the coordination color or text ect? That would be (depending of the complexity) 4-10 calls per object every two seconds instead of once initializing the object with all the parameter needed.
I doubt that it is highly unlikely that you're going to be changing all the values on them at once.
If you don't want screen flicker definitely do not clear. If you want to update the object use the setters, however if you do know that you'll be changing a few at once and want to be a little more efficient on a servers bandwidth usage then consider deleting the element and recreating it; you don't need to clear the screen to remove an object!

#1140 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 04 March 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

-snip-
I doubt that it is highly unlikely that you're going to be changing all the values on them at once.
If you don't want screen flicker definitely do not clear. If you want to update the object use the setters, however if you do know that you'll be changing a few at once and want to be a little more efficient on a servers bandwidth usage then consider deleting the element and recreating it; you don't need to clear the screen to remove an object!

Well, i dont have real detection of which values have been changed. Would be an other logistic work to do thought.
How do i delete the elements on screen without clearing it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users