#1 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Posted Image

What is it:

The original Lode Runner is a game from 1983 designed and programmed by Doug Smith and published by Brøderbund Software for the Apple][ and later other platforms. The game is pretty simple. Collect the money in each level, then get to the portal. You can climb ladders and monkey bars, and shoot out the ground on the diagonal next to you to reach hidden treasure. Making the game harder are the Mad Monks, that chase you and steal gold, which you can only fight by trapping in the ground you shoot out. Gold Runner is a full rewrite of that game for ComputerCraft.

You can see it in action here: https://www.youtube....h?v=_NQGnzJwbZ0

Installation:

Grab an installer here:
http://pastebin.com/YRFeS0G3
Latest executable (no levels):
http://pastebin.com/GF02dzhB

Once it's done downloading, execute GoldRunner to play :)

How to Play:

A and D- move left and right
W and S- climb ladders
Q and E- shoot ground left and right

Arrow Keys- to navigate menus
Enter- to open the in-game menu and select options
Space - to quickly restart a level

Collect all gold ($), while avoiding the mad monks (&). When all gold is collected, head for the portal (@)

Making your own level

Gold Runner now has it's own in-game editor, to allow you to quickly make new levels or change old ones, and test them quickly and easily- the feature is available from in game and the main menu. The editor works very easily:

Left click- paint with whatever tool is selected
Right click- open the tool palette to select a new tool
Mouse scroll- scrolls between tools
Enter- opens up a menu to save or test levels

The file format remains identical to the format used by paint and npaintpro so you can also use these to make levels if you prefer. Each colour represents a particular tile, and you can refer to the legend below to find out which is which:
Spoiler

I might post a few level packs if this picks up momentum, and I'm open to suggestions for new features. But for now, this remains a nice afternoon project- hope you enjoy it!

-NF

#2 Yevano

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Just played a few times. Actually really enjoyed this. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. :D

Could you make the keys sticky so that I don't kill my fingers pressing the keys a hundred times?

#3 Mackan90096

• Signature Abuser
  • 518 posts
  • LocationIn my basement.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

This seems epic. I'll check it out as soon as I get home

#4 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostYevano, on 04 June 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Just played a few times. Actually really enjoyed this. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. :D

Could you make the keys sticky so that I don't kill my fingers pressing the keys a hundred times?

Thanks :) You can hold down keys to move but the players speed is capped by quite a bit so as not to give him an unfair advantage- I found the only way to make sticky keys really worthwhile is with a much slower game, which is less fun. I'll keep tinkering as I do more bug fixes though.

#5 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yeah! nitrogenfingers is back <3

And awesome game right there ;D
You did this only in some hours/one afternoon?

#6 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

looks like a great game gonna try it now
edit:i always get stuck in a hole i dug and then it regenerates and kills me :wacko:

#7 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

I've made a few quick bug fixes I noticed when playing multiple levels:

- I reset levels before loading new ones so artefacts like dead monks and unwanted blocks don't appear in the next level
- Monks no longer 'double jump' when escaping from holes
- You should no longer need to restart the level manually when the monks catch you, though you still can of course

I've noticed a few little problems, especially monks falling into ground after it's been sealed but not dying. It doesn't break the game but it's silly so I'll try to fix that next.

I've separated installation from the executable, but have updated both, so if you already have the level packs (which you won't need to update), you can just download the new executable to replace the old one.

View PostUNOBTANIUM, on 04 June 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

And awesome game right there ;D
You did this only in some hours/one afternoon?

Thanks :) I put aside an afternoon to do something computercraft related, and this is what I came up with.

View PostETHANATOR360, on 04 June 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

edit:i always get stuck in a hole i dug and then it regenerates and kills me :wacko:

Most (but not all) of the levels I've included in the installer are at least partially based on the 1983 game, and I must admit playing through it again I had forgotten just how punishing a game it is! Falling in holes and dying is something you get better at, until you hit levels like Pyramid where digging holes and dropping down needs to be done under a very tight time limit.
I'll admit those unfamiliar with it will find it very hard so I'll probably post a video of me playing it in a bit. I'll also start work on a few level packs that aren't quite so gruelling as pyramid or sky_islands.

On that note- if you like this game, have a go at making some levels! Send them to me or stick them in a post here, and if they play well I'll add them to a community level pack.

#8 billysback

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

This looks pretty cool!
Simple but fun :)

I haven't had a go at it yet because I haven't had time but when I have I will tell you what I think of it!

#9 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Postbillysback, on 05 June 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

This looks pretty cool!
Simple but fun :)

I haven't had a go at it yet because I haven't had time but when I have I will tell you what I think of it!
ill get to work on those levels and while im at it ill look under the hood and get a good lesson on game programming

Edited by ETHANATOR360, 10 June 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#10 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

And another beatifull program from nitrogenfingers. You are awesome man. Everything you published is awesome thanks! I am going to try make a level pack for this.

EDIT: how big must the image be?

#11 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

View Postsuperaxander, on 05 June 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

And another beatifull program from nitrogenfingers. You are awesome man. Everything you published is awesome thanks! I am going to try make a level pack for this.

EDIT: how big must the image be?
To make things easy, just the canvas size for standard paint on an unmodified computer terminal display- that is 49 by 18 pixels

#12 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

Amazing game :D! Although, I think I've found a problem, you can still walk on hidden ladders before they appear.

#13 gman798

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

it says line 36 is not working for me

#14 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostSymmetryc, on 05 June 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

I think I've found a problem, you can still walk on hidden ladders before they appear.

Thanks for picking this up Symmetryc! I've patched the executable and am fairly certain the problem has been solved (along with an issue trying to move outside the bounds of the level, both popped up in Pyramid).

View Postgman798, on 05 June 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

it says line 36 is not working for me

I don't know how this is possible. Line 36 of the program is a variable declaration and the installer has nothing there at all. Please provide all information when posting reports like this- that is the full name of the error that occurred.

#15 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

A awesome game! I wish I was that good at game coding. I'm not that good with timing. :D

#16 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 04 June 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Thanks :) I put aside an afternoon to do something computercraft related, and this is what I came up with.
How did you write over 1000 lines of code in a single afternoon :P.

#17 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Meant to spend this evening making a bunch more levels, looks like that'll be a job for tomorrow. Instead spent time fixing a few bugs, tweaking the AI and overhauling the front end. The code is now pretty messy but there's now a title screen, level select screen and access to paint is incorporated via a shell call into the program. It's quite handy- you can make a level inside the program, then immediately test it, going back to edit it and make further tweaks if you need to.

I try to be as humble as possible on these forums but I do think the title screen is far and away the coolest on the forums :)

Anyway these combined features make creating levels much easier, but sharing is a bit cumbersome.

I've not updated the installer yet, will do that when I've made more levels and found a better way to incorporate them into packs.

#18 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

i love you, this game is awesome

#19 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

You removed the installer...

Why does it start with level 3?

#20 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postsuperaxander, on 06 June 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

You removed the installer...

Why does it start with level 3?

Removed the installer to work on a few more levels, then got tired, gave up. I've put the installer back up now with 9 levels rather than the original 5 (well, 10 if you include the title screen :P). The installer is worse rather than better than the previous one but I'm pretty wiped so won't look at that until... later.

The compression format however works well enough for level packs so I guess I'll just keep using that.

NF

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users