Wanted: The Best Community Made Programs To Include In Computercraft. Seeking Submissions!

35 replies to this topic

#1 dan200

• Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hello!

ComputerCraft 1.56 (currently in public beta, see the Beta Testing forum) will be adding a new feature: Treasure Disks. Treasure Disks are special Floppy Disks that can only be found in dungeon chests, which will contain programs created by the community, and we're looking for submissions!

The rules:
  • Programs must be fun, interesting or useful, and require as little setup as possible to use. The idea is that when a user finds one of these disks, they should be able to try it out easilly, and have a good time without getting confused. The easier to use, the better!
  • If a program requires a turtle, or an Advanced Computer, it should fail with a clean error message if someone uses it on the wrong type of system.
  • Programs must not use the HTTP API.
How to submit a program:
  • Create a resource pack that contains your program as a treasure disk. Incorrectly setup resource packs won't be looked at; so copy the treasure resource pack example in the pinned resource pack thread, and download the CC 1.56 beta and test that your program actually spawns in dungeons. To find treasure disks more easilly, edit the treasure disk drop rate in ComputerCraft.cfg, and/or use GopherATL's excellent "Infinite Loot Chest" posted below!
  • When you've done that, host the file somewhere, and post the link in this thread, along with a link to the thread for your program. The thread must include a good description of the program, and screenshots or a video of its usage.
By posting in this thread, you consent that your program may be included in future versions of ComputerCraft. All posts in this thread that aren't program submissions will be deleted.

#2 jesusthekiller

• Banned
  • 562 posts
  • LocationWrocław, Poland

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Treasure disk: here

Program: Maze 3D + Maze 2D

About: Maze 3D is (3D) maze game. You can specify maze size (from 5x5 to 99x99) - all mazes are randomly generated :).
It uses gopher's 3D-wolf engine (with gopher's permission) and maze generation from my Nano Maze.

Maze 2D is just like Maze 3D but in 2D, It also has non-advanced computer support.

Screens:
Spoiler

This will be included in 1.56!

Edited by dan200, 01 August 2013 - 04:21 PM.
Put images in a spoiler

#3 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

twothree programs in this pack. I tested a /rom/programs resource pack version, and all programs worked, also tested both during dev running from a floopy disk, so obviously that works. Did not find it in an actual dungeon yet; will poke around a bit and try to find one, tho I'm hoping you've got the chances of them appearing set high for this beta :) Found one of the three in a loot chest. They aren't common in this pr. See edit notes at end...

programs:

talk - a simple chat program. Allows chatting with other computers in range. No servers, administration, or even network awareness; just sends to anyone in range listening to the frequency, and shows what it hears back. Does support changing channels and frequencies, to allow people to chat a bit more privately. See the thread for more details.

battleship - battleship game. pretty straight-forward, instructions are in-game.

Oh, right, forgot this one...
fire - fire effect demo. For this build, added black & white support. What does monochrome fire look like? you'll have to try it and see...

:edit: oh, one more... no turtle code in here yet.

Shaft - Not sure if this is "fun" enough, but it is certainly useful. It's polished up and extended a bit from something I use myself a lot as a mining aid. It works like the "go" program, but instead of just going where you tell it, it digs a shaft to where you tell it. By default digs 1x2 shafts, but can do 1x3 or plus-shaped shafts as well, with optional torch placement at regular intervals.

the resource pack

Edit notes
Spoiler

Except for shaft, these will be included in 1.56!

[edit] Since the original post got deleted, re-linking the Infinite Loot Chest mod in this post.[/s]

InfiniteLootChest mod

Include mod in usual way, select InfiniteLootChest under misc tab, place anywhere. Every time you open it you will get a new set of random dungeon loot, making it 10000% easier to find your resource pack disks when testing!

The infinite loot chest mod is no longer needed for testing as of 1.6, since there is now a creative tab containing all treasure disks, which makes things even easier. Which is good, because I never updated the infinite loot chest mod past whatever mc version it was at the time.

Edited by GopherAtl, 19 March 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

Here's a pack for nsh (a remote shell program), including the get and put programs. The forum topic can be found here, and the source files for nsh, get and put are available on pastebin.

The nature of nsh is that there isn't much to see, but here's a shot of an advanced computer connected to a turtle via nsh:

Spoiler

Included in 1.56!

#5 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

Here's the resource pack

Here's the thread for the program, but since it's a master thread I can either make a new thread for it if needed.

Otherwise here is the extracted portion:
Spoiler

EDIT: Dropbox file fixed, now loads into the game. Thank you GopherAtl and GravityScore. No need for new link.

Included in 1.56!

Edited by dan200, 01 August 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#6 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

Submission: LuaIDE

Thread: Here

Short Description: (Taken straight from the thread)
LuaIDE an in game Integrated Development Environment, fully featured with things like live errors, code highlighting, go to line function, automatic saving, error aid, running with and without arguments, and a functional clipboard.

Usually LuaIDE will use the HTTP API to download new updates and different themes, but I've removed that from the version inside the resources pack.

Download: (from Dropbox) Here (please work properly)

Also, quick few questions, are we allowed to submit multiple programs (I think we are)? Is there a deadline for submissions (once 1.56 comes out)? Once 1.56 comes out, will submissions still be accepted (probably not)? Will we be able to update the programs included in CC in case we find bugs needing to be fixed, etc. (will these have to be in future versions of CC)?

Thanks for any consideration! This is a great idea, getting the community to submit programs like this :)

Note from Dan: Removed stuff about OSX. This bug is fixed in pr2

Included in 1.56!

#7 masterdisasterHD

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

Submission: peripheral

pastebin: http://pastebin.com/N920JufH
Download: Click_Here

Usage:
Spoiler

#8 robertcarr22

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

Name: To Do List and Message Board
Resource Pack: Here

Description:
Spoiler

#9 unobtanium

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

Fireworks Crafting Helper

Program to create fireworks! Yay!
Forum post here
Resource pack here

#10 Cubesoup

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Treasure disk resource pack: Dropbox

What is it?: A simple program that builds a hollow nxnxn cube where n is specified by the user. Requires a turtle.
The program cannot be used to grief as it does not use any of the dig functions, and terminates upon the turtle
running out of materials or fuel. more detailed instructions can be found on the disk.

If this is something you actually consider, i'll write a better instructions file and write better (extant) input handling.
Also to terminate the program after running out of resources or fuel it just calls a non-existent function, which naturally
would also need to be fixed. (i'm not really a 'lua guy').

This is a fun thing :D

#11 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

I've included two games as fun submissions:

LaserBlast
GoldRunner

Treasure pack download here

Edit: Ensured treasure pack conforms to format requirementsu

GoldRunner included :D

Edited by dan200, 14 October 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#12 civilwargeeky

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Want a quarry program too? I've got one of those :)

Resource Pack: Here
Thread: Here

Description: This is just a simple quarry program. You start it up, and it will ask you for dimensions of you hole. If you don't have enough fuel, it will prompt you for more. It also supports a lot of arguments. You can find all of the arguments by using "quarry help" as well some short examples of how to use the program with arguments. The program also checks if it run on a turtle, and if not, will prompt the user to use the companion rednet program. There is a full list of stuff it does on the forum thread.
The pack also includes a rednet program that you can use to track mining progress. It prompts you for modem side and channel number (printed on the turtle). This program prints helpful information on how far along the turtle is in its mining run.
The final file that comes in the pack just describes what the program does and that you can say "quarry help" for new users.

#13 fredthead

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Here is a game in which you have to shoot down ufos that are trying to abduct people.

Here is the link. I've tested it with GopherATLs Infinite Loot mod
Resource pack

Thread here includes a video.
This version now comes with persistent high scores and this version no longer requires a monitor

Included in 1.57!

#14 Vilsol

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationStudy: United Kingdom Native: Latvia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have made Conway's game of life inside Minecraft

Here is the thread: Here

Here is the resource pack: Here

Included in 1.57!

#15 Left4Cake

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have made a simple 2-Player Pokemon Battle simulator. It contains Pokemon #1-12 at the moment and attempts to use accurate game math.

Given the time I will upload a version with all copyrighted names removed at a later date. (since its all strings and no graphic that won't be to hard) but I don't really know if that an issue since other Minecraft mods do have Pokemon Related stuff in it so I figured I submit it here anyway: http://www.lozengia....t/CCPokemon.zip

It is all done in text and works any any computer. Instructions on how to navigate appear on the screen and its turn based 2-player in a single Craft-Computer.

#16 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Edit: Nevermind.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 21 March 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#17 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

May I ask if it is allowed to have a program that optionally uses the HTTP API to self-update (with user consent, of course) but is not required to run the program? (For example, I have a program that will check for uptakes at my GitHub at every run, but if the HTTP API is disabled just shows the message "Could Not Check for Updates as the HTTP API is Disabled" for a couple seconds, then continues normally? For example, this:
term.clear()
term.setCursorPos(1, 1)
if not http then
  print("Could Not Check for Updates as the HTTP API is Disabled")
else
  --# update checking code
end

--# normal program, not requiring further use of the HTTP API

Edit:

View PostLyqyd, on 23 November 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

The rules state no usage of the HTTP API. So, no.
:(, looks like I would have to prepare a special "treasure" build then. But I thought the rules were it must not require the HTTP API, and this is an optionaI feature.

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 27 November 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#18 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

The rules state no usage of the HTTP API. So, no.

#19 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

I guess these posts will be cleared soon, but I still feel it's worth mentioning somewhere in the OP/thread that the treasure disks are read-only - even if updaters were allowed, they'd be unable to alter the original files.

#20 Kaikaku

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

buildHead

turtle program that can build more than 16 different 8x8 mob heads.

Resource pack: http://www.file-uplo...ldHead.zip.html

Forum thread: http://www.computerc...-16x-mob-heads/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users