What Other Languages Do You Program In?

55 replies to this topic

#41 Felype

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

Lua,HTML,C++,jquery,basic,visual basic and javascript.

#42 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

I know Lua (CC and normal; I love (no joke intended there :)) working with the LÖVE framework), Python, a bit of Ruby, a bit of C++, Java, JavaScript, and, if it counts, HTML5 and CSS.

EDIT: I also am looking into Game Maker, and I know some PHP. I hate PHP. I hate it so much; I detest all that ugly syntax and other annoyances.

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 03 January 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#43 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Java, and a bit of C#(bleah)

#44 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Apparently Castform ("Csstform") doesn't know CC Lua EDIT: "Other languages" oops.
I know a little C#, not my favourite either. I also have no interest in Obj-C.

Edited by awsmazinggenius, 09 January 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#45 rhyleymaster

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:58 AM

I do Lua and C# for the most part. Throughout high school I took classes and learned Javascript, C++, HTML, PHP, and BOO (that fancy Unity script)

For Lua, I know the syntax for the Normal, CC, and Gmod ones.
I would've put GML however I don't consider it a language, since its very simple and designed for mostly learning proposes.
C# I do for fun.
BOO I learned as a side project. A few friends and I were developing a FPS in the Unity Engine at the time, however it died so I dropped the language and lost interest.
Javascript I learned in school in a Robotics class (Fancy ;D)
and HTML (Which I consider a text wrapper) I picked up in a Com. Science class.

#46 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

CC Lua, Java, JS, PHP (+ MySQL stuff), bash, MS-DOS, various variations of C, and then HTML and CSS which are more markup than programming.

#47 ShadowedZenith

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationComputational Soup of the Cloud

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostCsstform, on 06 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Why bleah on C#? Java and C# are extremely similar languages from a syntax standpoint, so I'm pretty curious as to why you dislike C# and like Java >.>

For me, I know Java and C#.
I've dabbled in D, C and very little C++.
On the interwebz side of things, I primarily use PHP while dabbling in node.js and RoR.

Of all of the languages, I enjoy D and C# the most, though I probably use PHP more frequently than any of them.

#48 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostShadowedZenith, on 09 January 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

View PostCsstform, on 06 January 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Why bleah on C#? Java and C# are extremely similar languages from a syntax standpoint, so I'm pretty curious as to why you dislike C# and like Java.
Because I suck at it, and it isn't as versatile as java - to my knowlege anyway.

Awsmazinggenius - hahahahahaha!!! No, I don't know CC Lua, obviously!

#49 ShadowedZenith

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationComputational Soup of the Cloud

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I don't think I've ever seen anything done in Java that can't be done in C# personally >.> In fact, it lacks some features that C# possesses such as unsigned ints and, if I remember correctly, pointers. Of course these 2 features of C# won't benefit all programmers and C# isn't nearly as platform independent as Java (though Mono seems to be bridging that gap), but they're still some features Java lacks. In the end they're both pretty solid platforms, though.

#50 6677

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostShadowedZenith, on 09 January 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

I don't think I've ever seen anything done in Java that can't be done in C# personally >.> In fact, it lacks some features that C# possesses such as unsigned ints and, if I remember correctly, pointers. Of course these 2 features of C# won't benefit all programmers and C# isn't nearly as platform independent as Java (though Mono seems to be bridging that gap), but they're still some features Java lacks. In the end they're both pretty solid platforms, though.
Mono is absolutely excellent. Used it a fair bit on a raspberry pi and on bodhi. Does the job pretty damn well.

Uni requires java for first year. I previously used C#, definitely prefer C#. One little thing that actually really irks me on java, WHY THE HELL DO I HAVE TO CREATE A KEYBOARD SCANNER CLASS TO READ THE KEYBOARD, seriously what was wrong with a simply input() or read or console.readline() or whatever. I don't really like java, I absolutely loathe all the java IDE's.

#51 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

View Post6677, on 09 January 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

I absolutely loathe all the java IDE's.

Yeah, definitely agree there! But I alway thought that C# was only for windows?

#52 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostCsstform, on 10 January 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

But I alway thought that C# was only for windows?
C# is for all platforms, when there's libraries installed. Well any language can work on any platform, as long as there's native libraries.
The origin on C# was pretty much a copy paste of Sun-Micro's Java — which is why you can still copy/paste between them for the most part even to this day — with a few minor changes such as use of particular camel-case, and a few data structures. Since then it has expanded in some areas and some would say blossomed into an awesome language, however each language have their own advantages and disadvantages, depending on how you're wanting to use them, or in what way you're using them. The problem is that people either have no idea how to use the language and think its clunky or inefficient — mainly due to performing direct translations from other languages which may not the most efficient for that particular language — or just don't like particular quirks about design choices that the creators have made.

Edited by theoriginalbit, 10 January 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#53 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

Hmmm. I gotta look at it again. And also, I forgot, when I was in middle school, I learned some VB, C and C++ (Might have been C+ can't remember)

EDIT: Perhaps I like java better because minecraft is coded with it... I'm sure I'll rethink this all when I acctually want to code something.

Edited by Csstform, 10 January 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#54 6677

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostCsstform, on 10 January 2014 - 06:58 AM, said:

Yeah, definitely agree there! But I alway thought that C# was only for windows?
No language is specific to any one implementation in theory.

Oh, no offense, but "minecraft is coded with it" perhaps isn't the best reason to learn a particular language. Java is popular, notch just happened to know it, hence minecraft in java. But ultimately there is no particular feature that makes it inherently suitable to minecraft.

Edited by 6677, 10 January 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#55 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Lol, no, I learned java for android - not Minecraft. That was just an added bonus.

#56 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Post6677, on 10 January 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

"minecraft is coded with it" perhaps isn't the best reason to learn a particular language.
Nothing wrong with being able to make your own mods. And solve problems better. I learned Java thanks to Minecraft - it's not my favourite language for other things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users