Ability To Output Redstone From Modems To Peripherals

9 replies to this topic

#1 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Kinda wishfully thinking here, but this would be quite convenient considering how many blocks become peripherals with OpenPeripheral. If you could somehow make the modem output a redstone signal to the peripheral, I think that'd be great.

#2 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:16 PM

So are you making this as a suggestion for OpenPeripheral or ComputerCraft?

There was also this suggestion that went around a while ago.

#3 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

It's definitely for CC because it'd be a change to modems. And that's a bit different of an idea.

#4 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:56 AM

Maybe you could even put a modem on a non-peripheral block and still output redstone signals - if there's no actual peripheral attached, you still need a peripheral name, so you could get one for the modem (modem_0).

#5 jay5476

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

i think he means have the modem act as a source of redstone and also be able to recieve signals without a computer? so that it could recieve a signal and turn on redstone without having a computer

#6 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

I would just say that you can have a computer act exactly as you are describing. Why make another peripheral to do this?

#7 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

I think what they are wanting Cranium is to be able to send a rs signal through the network and have the modem/cables output the signal without having to have a 2nd computer at the other side to send the rs signal. Hopefully that is a good way to explain it? More of an enhancement to the existing network periphs.

#8 ElvishJerricco

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hm... So idea about this. Perhaps if the redstone api could work by using peripherals as sides.

rs.setOutput("dispenser_0", true)

would make the modem on the peripheral dispenser_0 output a redstone signal. Simple enough and I think it's useful, even if not for vanilla CC reasons.

#9 ShadowedZenith

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationComputational Soup of the Cloud

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think what Cranium is suggesting is that you can easily implement this using a computer with a listening program that you send the "request" to to handle the redstone output. So, for example:

D C - - - C

D = Dispenser
C = Computer
- = Cable

You just have the computer beside the dispenser listening for some sort of signal from the main computer, say if it gets a string that containing ON. If it gets that string, have it then send a signal to the side the dispenser is on.

Though I could just be misunderstanding the suggestion :P

#10 AfterLifeLochie

Wiki Oracle

• Moderators
  • 480 posts
  • LocationAfterLifeLochie's "Dungeon", Australia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

[shameless-plug] I added this to my Peripherals mod, as I didn't see it being added for quite some time, and needed it on a 1.5.2 server. [/shameless-plug]

I'm not exactly sure, due to the way modems were implemented, if this is actually possible. They also can't clamp onto non solid blocks, so their placement and orientation would be limits, say, next to engines.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users