Leadlined-Kernel: A Mostly Experimental Kernel

34 replies to this topic

#21 Wobbo

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

I am getting a different error when I boot.

Fatal error: init:280: Could not load API: init 88:[string "sys/svcs/async_crypto"]:111: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 106)

I get this error after I installed it on a newly placed computer.

#22 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I ask for feature requests and I get bug reports. That's okay... anyways:

View PostHellkid98, on 22 November 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Uhmm.. I'm just getting this error all the time D:
Posted Image
That's probably because the updater (you are using the latest version, right?) doesn't fully clear out files that have beendeleted or moved between updates. sys/apis/localAreaNetwork got moved to /bin/crf/localAreaNetwork.
Boot using a startup disk and delete the offending file.

View PostWobbo, on 22 November 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

I am getting a different error when I boot.

Fatal error: init:280: Could not load API: init 88:[string "sys/svcs/async_crypto"]:111: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 106)

I get this error after I installed it on a newly placed computer.
This is because I made an incomplete commit; this was a problem earlier on too. I'm going to try and update the installer/updater to use a special "release" branch (containing the latest working commit).

#23 Wobbo

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

It boots now, but I noticed a problem. It only asks for a root password after you have pressed a key.

And after you have entered the password for the normal account for the second time, he comes up with an error:
Fatal error: sys/svcs/userAuth:212: attempt to call nil

#24 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostWobbo, on 22 November 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

It boots now, but I noticed a problem. It only asks for a root password after you have pressed a key.

And after you have entered the password for the normal account for the second time, he comes up with an error:
Fatal error: sys/svcs/userAuth:212: attempt to call nil
Wait. I thought that I had fixed that...

Well, the pause before account setup was due to some debugging code that I forgot to remove.
The error was because I renamed a function without renaming calls to it. The code involved hasn't been touched in very long.

#25 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hate to say this but, I am getting another error :(
Posted Image

#26 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostHellkid98, on 23 November 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Hate to say this but, I am getting another error :(
Posted Image

You should probably update LeadLined-OS.

#27 LDShadowLord

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Poor Killa. Getting nothing but bug reports :P A suggestion of mine is to put an "un-install" function in the updater that wipes every file(or every leadlinedOS file, if you want to write them all out?) from the computer except for the updater. After than, you can do a fresh install on an empty computer. This might make new updates and such a lot easier to manage.

Edited by LDShadowLord, 24 November 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#28 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostLDShadowLord, on 24 November 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Poor Killa. Getting nothing but bug reports :P A suggestion of mine is to put an "un-install" function in the updater that wipes every file(or every leadlinedOS file, if you want to write them all out?) from the computer except for the updater. After than, you can do a fresh install on an empty computer. This might make new updates and such a lot easier to manage.
Admittedly, it is beta software. I don't mind, anyways. It gives me something to do.

Yeah, an uninstaller feature would be helpful for the end-users.
I'm actually working on a more robust recovery/updater feature right now, too.

Wiping out (almost) every LeadLined-OS file is really just three delete calls: one for "sys", one for "init", and one for "startup". That does leave a few folders behind though, such as home folders and the "bin/" folder. It also leaves behind the installer.

Edited by KillaVanilla, 25 November 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#29 Wobbo

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

I got the system working now, and when I try to open /docs/api_documentation.txt using edit, I get a No permissions stored for user error. I can open the file when I log in as root.

#30 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostWobbo, on 26 November 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

I got the system working now, and when I try to open /docs/api_documentation.txt using edit, I get a No permissions stored for user error. I can open the file when I log in as root.

I'm working on updating/overhauling permissions.

#31 LDShadowLord

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I think leaving behind the installer is fine, as long as the updater always grabs the newest version, and you can always make some kind of system so that when it un-installs it asks "Do you want to delete your own files/preferences?" and if yes then it wipes everything including the bin and home folder.

#32 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

View PostLDShadowLord, on 30 November 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

I think leaving behind the installer is fine, as long as the updater always grabs the newest version, and you can always make some kind of system so that when it un-installs it asks "Do you want to delete your own files/preferences?" and if yes then it wipes everything including the bin and home folder.
I'll get to that sooner or later.

In any case, does anyone have any ideas for applications they want to see here?

#33 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

A new year, a new bump. (Also a new double-post, but I hope nobody minds.)

Anyways, I've still been working on LeadLined-OS for the past month or so. The commits are there, if anyone actually bothers looking at the Github repo.
In any case, I can just about sum up the major changes below:
  • There's a new printer driver. Right now, all it does is provide a neat interface for accessing the printer's functionality via the /dev/ filesystem. Print spooling is planned.
  • The /dev/ filesystem was reworked behind the hood, mainly to support the above.
  • Multi-monitor support works. This was really easy to implement; all I had to do was give each process its own redirect stack and call the "top-level" term.redirect before running processes. Network terminals are planned, but keep getting put off for some reason.
  • fsOverride now attempts to convert CRLF line endings to LF line endings when writing to files. No guarantees that this works, though.
As I said above: Does anyone have any ideas for applications? I need something else to do with LeadLined-OS.

#34 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

This actually looks quite good. I really like the file system's symbolic links, permissions etc.

#35 oneru

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:31 PM

This looks really interesting. If you still want ideas, I have a wishlist of sorts.

A scroll back buffer would be amazing. Shift + page up/ page down and shift + arrow up /arrow down to scroll up and down.

Redirection on the command line. So run a command followed by > to output to a file, and the pipe symbol "|" to push output into another command.

Gnu screen like functionality, so Ctrl + a, c to create another shell session, and Ctrl + a, n to switch sessions.

Copy and paste functionality, similar to GNU's screen.

An editor with a few creature comforts, like the ability to delete lines, or cut and paste, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users