910 replies to this topic

#1 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

OneOS's Future

OneOS will soon cease to exist. The new framework I'm developing, Silica, will replace Bedrock and once that's done an OS based on it will be made. See info here. I am not longer working on this!

Version 2 Public Beta

A year to the day after the release of version 1 and two years to the day since I joined the forums, I present to you OneOS version 2!

At this stage it's quite a early beta really, but it's (probably) working better than the previous version was. There are lots of bugs, missing things and the like, but no matter how minor they appear please reply with details.

I will put more details about what's new here soon, but the main this is that the majority of the OS (especially the core) has been rewritten.

Installation

If you want to use the beta, enter:
pastebin run E1xftzLa beta

Otherwise enter:
pastebin run E1xftzLa

What's New

One of the biggest goals with version two was to increase performance. Now, it's not really at a point I'd consider 'ideal', but it's better than 1.3. I've spent hours upon hours trying every conceivable thing and it's certainly better, but I simply think CC can't handle any more (but I might be wrong).

I also wanted it to obviously be easy to use. I think it's improved over version 1.3 a bit, although it was already very easy, so making any huge leap here was basically impossible.

I wanted it bug free. Now, at this point that's not at all realistic. Lots of things are missing and buggy, but eventually it will.

Pocket computer support was another commonly requested feature. Now, it's still not perfect, but the new switcher (which I think you'll love) is much more pocket friendly.

Known Bugs, Issues and Missing Features
Spoiler

Version 1 Post
Spoiler

Edited by oeed, 11 July 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#2 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

Been waiting for this c:
I'm not able to test it currently, but I will do so ASAP

#3 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Impressive! Also been waiting for this :D

Edited by GravityScore, 28 February 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#4 wafflecopter

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

This is great! Not only does it work well, but it has a great interface as well!

#5 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Got some bugs to report.

- When I first tried installing this, it was 97% done or so, then it errored with something like "expected string got number compared number awa3812-948!!!?!?!??'". When I went to the line that errored, it was the function that checks if the computer has enough memory, and it was on the line where it was comparing fs.getMemory or whatever. Sorry that I can't give you that line now.
- Whenever I try to open the file system (Programs, Files, Documents), it pulls up with a grey screen (not the crash screen) saying, "Peripheral.lua:4: attempt to call nil" The program has finished. Click anywhere to close this program."
- At one point, the clock in the upper right stopped working, and would only update when I clicked one of the programs on the desktop.

I hope you can get these bugs fixed soon ;)

EDIT: By the way, loving the Operating System (Aside from the bugs)

Edited by Jiloacom, 28 February 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#6 gfcwfzkm

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Found a Bug in the Shell-App: When i 'cd' to a directory (like Programs or rom), the commands dont work anymore (No such program - Error)

But its a real nice OS

#7 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

View Postgfcwfzkm, on 28 February 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

Found a Bug in the Shell-App: When i 'cd' to a directory (like Programs or rom), the commands dont work anymore (No such program - Error)

But its a real nice OS

To add to that the cursor doesn't go back to it's original positon and stays blinking by the clock. Also, after shell commands fill all the screen and shell scrolls down sometimes it doesn't show the bottom line.

#8 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

Very, very nice. I especially like the CC app store :3

#9 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

View Postgfcwfzkm, on 28 February 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

Ok, thanks. I'll look in to.

The Shell app has caused me some grief in the past due to the nature of how the programs work.

Also, I'm going to start writing a documentation for the OneOS API for use in programs. It'll be on GitHub soon.

#10 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Loving You :D
This is really amazing!

#11 Zudo

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Magical! :)

#12 InputUsername

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Wonderful!

One thing I have to note is that the Settings app is severely bugged. When changing my computer's name, there was no way to exit the text box and while trying to do so, the system became really slow and unresponsive. Exiting the Settings app seemed to help. Also, I find it annoying to see that a computer I own is called "Oliver's Computer", but maybe that's just me ;)

Anyway, that's the only bug I could find. I love the interface and functionality of OneOS.

Edit: I found some more bugs. I hope this doesn't sound too negative :P
  • Dialogs start to flicker when you click or drag.
  • The Settings app needs some serious fixing. It crashed my (in-game) computer beyond recovery.
  • Sometimes, when running apps from the App Store, the OneOS tool bar is drawn twice (on the first and second row).
    • This was the case with "PokeCC teaser trailer", which may be the cause as it is a really bugged program anyway.
    • I believe this is a case of "Ghosting", which was supposed to be solved according to GitHub.
  • The App Store's exit button doesn't work.
  • When clicking "Update OneOS" from the One menu, there is no way to tell OneOS is checking for updates, then suddenly a dialog pops up. Maybe add a dialog so that the user can see that? Wow, that sounded really vague. what I mean is that when you try to update, there is no way to see what is happening (is OneOS checking for updates or is it just crashing?).
Don't get me wrong, I really think OneOS is impressive, but I think these things should really be fixed.

Edit 2: I seem to be on a roll. While these bugs aren't entirely related to OneOS, I still found them rather annoying:
  • In Sketch, when I try to add a layer to an NFT file, it tells me that "NFT do not support layers!". Is this intentional/grammatically correct? I don't know, it doesn't seem natural to me.
  • When I tried to exit, the Cancel and Quit buttons (on the "unsaved changes" dialog) did not do anything. Clicking the 'x' in the tool bar again exited the program immediately.
  • Also, the clock froze.

Edited by InputUsername, 01 March 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#13 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostInputUsername, on 01 March 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Wonderful!

One thing I have to note is that the Settings app is severely bugged. When changing my computer's name, there was no way to exit the text box and while trying to do so, the system became really slow and unresponsive. Exiting the Settings app seemed to help. Also, I find it annoying to see that a computer I own is called "Oliver's Computer", but maybe that's just me ;)

Anyway, that's the only bug I could find. I love the interface and functionality of OneOS.

Ah, well, in terms of the computer name bug, it should've asked you to enter a name... if I'd deleted my settings file.

Essentially, there's setup program there, but it's not being run.

I'll try to fix those issues though.

Edited by oeed, 01 March 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#14 RamiLego4Game

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSyria,Damascus

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

You are Superior,Can you Add My Game (CCRedirection)?
Also The ccappstore.com page not working (DNS Error (dns_server_failure) )

Edited by RamiLego4Game, 01 March 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#15 gfcwfzkm

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Realy nice OS =)
My biggest Problem is, that the "Shell"-App isnt very good working/looking. Would be nice if it looks&works like the normal CraftOS Shell.
And i could not load custom APIs while the OS is running :o (Could not load the openCCSensor API)

My Favorite OS =D

#16 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

The CC Appstore page is rather buggy when editing text icon layers in Chrome 33.

#17 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostInputUsername, on 01 March 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

Wonderful!

Edit: I found some more bugs. I hope this doesn't sound too negative :P
  • Dialogs start to flicker when you click or drag.
  • The Settings app needs some serious fixing. It crashed my (in-game) computer beyond recovery.
  • Sometimes, when running apps from the App Store, the OneOS tool bar is drawn twice (on the first and second row).
    • This was the case with "PokeCC teaser trailer", which may be the cause as it is a really bugged program anyway.
    • I believe this is a case of "Ghosting", which was supposed to be solved according to GitHub.
  • The App Store's exit button doesn't work.
  • When clicking "Update OneOS" from the One menu, there is no way to tell OneOS is checking for updates, then suddenly a dialog pops up. Maybe add a dialog so that the user can see that? Wow, that sounded really vague. what I mean is that when you try to update, there is no way to see what is happening (is OneOS checking for updates or is it just crashing?).
Don't get me wrong, I really think OneOS is impressive, but I think these things should really be fixed.

Edit 2: I seem to be on a roll. While these bugs aren't entirely related to OneOS, I still found them rather annoying:
  • In Sketch, when I try to add a layer to an NFT file, it tells me that "NFT do not support layers!". Is this intentional/grammatically correct? I don't know, it doesn't seem natural to me.
  • When I tried to exit, the Cancel and Quit buttons (on the "unsaved changes" dialog) did not do anything. Clicking the 'x' in the tool bar again exited the program immediately.
  • Also, the clock froze.
No, it's not too negative, it's useful!

I've got quite a few school assignments due in the next few days so I haven't had a ton of time for bug fixes, when I've got some free time I'll try to fix all of these.

I've got a feeling that the reason the dialogues flicker is because when you click somewhere that isn't the dialogue they flash (to get the users attention).

I thought I'd fixed the ghosting issue but it appears to have come back, it may have been reverted or theres something else causing it. I'll take a look at it.

View PostRamiLego4Game, on 01 March 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

You are Superior,Can you Add My Game (CCRedirection)?
Also The ccappstore.com page not working (DNS Error (dns_server_failure) )
The main problem with adding more games is that if the OS gets to big it might run out of space while updating, there are ways I could try to fix this though. Add it to the App Store for now.

I'm not sure about why the App Store wasn't working, what country are you in? The website's been up 100% of the time so far.

View Postgfcwfzkm, on 01 March 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

Realy nice OS =)
My biggest Problem is, that the "Shell"-App isnt very good working/looking. Would be nice if it looks&works like the normal CraftOS Shell.
And i could not load custom APIs while the OS is running :o (Could not load the openCCSensor API)

My Favorite OS =D
Thank you!

Now, unfortunately, in order to get the majority of programs working by default os.loadAPI only looks in the program's bundle (folder with icon, startup program, etc) for APIs. If you want to use other APIs you'll need to look at this: https://github.com/o...on#wiki-loadapi

I might look in to adding an ability to default to global APIs if the bundle version doesn't exist, however.

View PostApemanzilla, on 01 March 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

The CC Appstore page is rather buggy when editing text icon layers in Chrome 33.
Yea, it was a lot worse, trust me. The main problem I've found is the text colour changing to white sometimes. I'll try to fix it.

Edited by oeed, 01 March 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#18 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

Few more bug reports for you!
- In the OS: in the AppStore, if you view an app with a long description, the text continues out of the box.
- In the App submitting page: Seems I can't use special characters (<, >, !, etc) in Chrome 33; haven't tested in the browsers yet.

Suggestions:
- Submit apps from the OS
- Sandboxed environment for apps to run some "set up" code after they are installed
- Allow direct links to the app files (I use Dropbox for most of my programs)

#19 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 02 March 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Few more bug reports for you!
- In the OS: in the AppStore, if you view an app with a long description, the text continues out of the box.
- In the App submitting page: Seems I can't use special characters (<, >, !, etc) in Chrome 33; haven't tested in the browsers yet.

Suggestions:
- Submit apps from the OS
- Sandboxed environment for apps to run some "set up" code after they are installed
- Allow direct links to the app files (I use Dropbox for most of my programs)

Yes, I'll try to fix that description bug.

You can half submit apps from the computer, you can upload them. I probably won't make it possible to submit from a computer.
All programs are sandboxed, what do you mean?
I'll look in to direct links.

#20 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

Glad to finally see this have been released, Loved to test it before and I'm sure you've fixed the "bugs" I found, or have you? :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users