#1 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

NxOS

==========================

Developing has ended.

==========================

Edited by TheJebForge, 20 April 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#2 snakevenom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Looks really good, it has a much cleaner UI than many other CC operating systems.

#3 snakevenom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

So I played around with it to try and find some bugs, I ended up finding two.
  • When setting up the computer if I disabled enter password on boot the computer would load but then it would flash a blue screen with text on it for a split second and then reboot.
  • The file editor doesn't seem to work, nothing happens when I click it, is it actually implemented?
  • I the BIOS when setting up checking is misspelt (it is put as 'cheching'), not really a bug but it should be changed.
That was all I could find while testing the OS, seems pretty solid other than the things listed above.

Edited by snakevenom, 23 December 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#4 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:33 AM

snakevenom, on 22 December 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

So I played around with it to try and find some bugs, I ended up finding two.
  • When setting up the computer if I disabled enter password on boot the computer would load but then it would flash a blue screen with text on it for a split second and then reboot.
  • The text editor doesn't seem to work, nothing happens when I click it, is it actually implemented?
  • I the BIOS when setting up checking is misspelt (it is put as 'cheching'), not really a bug but it should be changed.
That was all I could find while testing the OS, seems pretty solid other than the things listed above.
1. Left Click = run, right click = sub menu (edit or paint, delete, cut, copy...). It works for me.
2. I haven't done the feature to set up the password. Then what are talking about? Can you post a video with that?
3. Yeah... I was printing very fast and forgot to fix that... (I must change it to Checking) I will fix that problem in next update!

Edited by TheJebForge, 23 December 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#5 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

Stream now!
There's the link:
https://www.youtube....h?v=zFFvlEQx6R8
Ended

Edited by TheJebForge, 23 December 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#6 snakevenom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

1. Left Click = run, right click = sub menu (edit or paint, delete, cut, copy...). It works for me.
2. I haven't done the feature to set up the password. Then what are talking about? Can you post a video with that?

3. Yeah... I was printing very fast and forgot to fix that... (I must change it to Checking) I will fix that problem in next update!

Okay don't worry about the password, that's a problem with my computer. I had a custom password on it and it broke the OS. Sorry.
Unfortunately (even on a new in-game computer) the file system doesn't seem to work, it works on other OS's like OneOS but not on this one. By this I mean that it flickers non stop (no matter what I'm doing / when I'm not doing anything) making it impossible to use.

I also found another minor problem, if you open a program while the # button is open the # button stays highlighted, not major but easy to fix and I might as well report it anyway.

Edited by snakevenom, 23 December 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#7 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

snakevenom, on 23 December 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

Okay don't worry about the password, that's a problem with my computer. I had a custom password on it and it broke the OS. Sorry.
Unfortunately (even on a new in-game computer) the file system doesn't seem to work, it works on other OS's like OneOS but not on this one. By this I mean that it flickers non stop (no matter what I'm doing / when I'm not doing anything) making it impossible to use.

I also found another minor problem, if you open a program while the # button is open the # button stays highlighted, not major but easy to fix and I might as well report it anyway.
Flickers on Desktop? Or File Browser?
Only you have got this problem! Check the version of ComputerCraft or Minecraft. It works for me! No flickers!

Edit: Flickers will be fixed in next update. Do you meant File Browser by file system???

Edited by TheJebForge, 24 December 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#8 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Clean OS, but when someone is giving you feedback, please don't shrug it off and blame the version they are using, looking through the comments, you refuse to actually acknowledge the bugs. If you're gonna make a CC OS, then at least attempt to fix problems for all users, even if you can't get the problem attempt to re-create it or change the logic and see if it has changed, because it needs to be usable for everyone and other people may have the same problem and haven't reported the bug.

Just be a little more understanding and maybe see if you can fix the error, because if someone has chosen to use your OS, and there is an error and you say "Only you have got this problem" then why would they bother using it again if the creator is a little uncooperative.

The OS does have quite a few bugs, and you're best off fixing these and re-releasing it as a new version. Do a lot of testing before you release the system, as many members seem to release OS's that are buggy and not 'usable', so I would recommend finishing it, adding some functionality, and then making sure (by your own testing) there are no errors then maybe even release it as a beta version :D

EDIT: I see it is a pre-release which is fair enough! Make sure to release it fully as I would like to test it! Just don't leave it dormant!

This is a personal preference but I hate the fact you have the boot load? that just uses sleeps, if anything use some kind of screen to make it a little "cleaner", so it is all contained!

Anyway nice idea! :)

Edited by DannySMc, 23 December 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#9 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

I got it! It can be because he has slow computer! Ohh, I should rewrite the refresh function. It will fix the flickers. But the file system doesn't work for someone. Then if it doesn't work, how it can use the computercraft? I use only fs thing... Don't know how to fix it...

#10 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

To fix flickering, you should use a framebuffer that only draws changes. The cause of the flickering is that the time between when you clear the screen and when you draw to it is long enough for the user to see.

#11 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

Or (I don't know how to work with this) I can simply redraw only the file list area. That won't flick the screen, but only part with files! That will be better than now!

#12 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

I found very much of bugs... And the code will be rewritten! With that the look of the OS will change too! Wait for most awesome update! (v2)
I'm planning make the window API. Where all of the windows can be moved. But there will be problem with multitasking. The OS (first time) will able to handle only 1 window!
Maybe with time, I will make the better multitasking.

Edited by TheJebForge, 09 January 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#13 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

Everybody dance! In next update the OS will have multitasking!!! But the windows... There is no point to use it!

Edited by TheJebForge, 14 January 2015 - 05:39 AM.

#14 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:53 AM

DannySMc, on 23 December 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Clean OS, but when someone is giving you feedback, please don't shrug it off and blame the version they are using, looking through the comments, you refuse to actually acknowledge the bugs. If you're gonna make a CC OS, then at least attempt to fix problems for all users, even if you can't get the problem attempt to re-create it or change the logic and see if it has changed, because it needs to be usable for everyone and other people may have the same problem and haven't reported the bug.

Just be a little more understanding and maybe see if you can fix the error, because if someone has chosen to use your OS, and there is an error and you say "Only you have got this problem" then why would they bother using it again if the creator is a little uncooperative.

The OS does have quite a few bugs, and you're best off fixing these and re-releasing it as a new version. Do a lot of testing before you release the system, as many members seem to release OS's that are buggy and not 'usable', so I would recommend finishing it, adding some functionality, and then making sure (by your own testing) there are no errors then maybe even release it as a beta version :D/>

EDIT: I see it is a pre-release which is fair enough! Make sure to release it fully as I would like to test it! Just don't leave it dormant!

This is a personal preference but I hate the fact you have the boot load? that just uses sleeps, if anything use some kind of screen to make it a little "cleaner", so it is all contained!

Anyway nice idea! :)/>

The boot now uses 10 secs, and I'm talking about the v2. V2 isn't released for now... It's under development.

#15 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

TheJebForge, on 14 January 2015 - 05:53 AM, said:

The boot now uses 10 secs, and I'm talking about the v2. V2 isn't released for now... It's under development.

I still can't work out if booting in 10 seconds is a good thing or a bad thing. Looking at your version 1 code, you sleep for 0.8 seconds for every file. Then an additional 5 seconds in other parts of the startup file! My rule generally is, if you are doing something just so it looks pretty, then don't do it. Sleeping does nothing apart from make people wait.

It looks like a nice operating system though.

#16 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

Hello! I'm still working on NxOS 2.0! And there's some screens of new version!
Desktop:
Posted Image

Task Manager:
Posted Image

Error Screen:
Posted Image

BIOS startup:
Posted Image

Inside BIOS:
Posted Image

In BIOS, there's nothing to do...

I hope, you will love the new NxOS!

#17 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

Guys, you can increase the speed of development by following the page! This is real! Come on!

#18 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Uploading the v2!!!!!

#19 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:30 PM

I really like the layout, it looks beautiful, but it would be nice if you started implementing an API to interact with the core.

#20 TheJebForge

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

I can post list of commands which the OS uses. There is no core)))

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users