Non-wireless pocket computer disk drive and networking cable system

6 replies to this topic

#1 wolfboyft

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

This, my friends, is the first step of my evil plan

It's quite simple. All the pocket computers (to avoid too many different types) have disk drives in them.

To insert a disk, open the pocket computer and simply place the floppy disk in the GUI window separate from the monitor (in case you wish to change the size of monitors in the config :) ).

To connect two pocket computers together wired...ely... wiredely? Wiredly? Wirefully? :D WIREFULLY!

To connect two pocket computers together wirefully, (ahh, such a beautiful, non-existent word)

Open up the GUI, and in a small window beneath the last one (floppy drive), and place networking cables (up to 12) in the slot. Each cable adds 1m to the range you have to transfer data across pocket computers.

To connect to a pocket computer, click [ find pocket computers in range ], to see a list of computers. Click them, request connections and see your requests get ignored, accepted or denied.

To cancel connections, click the disconnect button in the window, or power down the wire with a certain program.

So, whaddya think?

#2 Phoenix323

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

Cool

#3 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

Disk drives I can't disagree with. I'd suggest that shift-click opens the computer's GUI, which is different from the monitor, to avoid clutter.

Network cables seem like a lot of work for not much benefit - which is one of the main reasons things don't get added to mods. What would you use them for?

#4 SpencerBeige

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:48 AM

no....no....no....we dont need disks to be in pocket pcs. we need to be able to put a disk in the crafting bench, and get a usb that u can insert to the pocket pc via crafting, and then getting the usb out with shift + right click while holding the pocket pc

#5 Cycomantis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:27 AM

View Postslow-coder, on 06 February 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

no....no....no....we dont need disks to be in pocket pcs. we need to be able to put a disk in the crafting bench, and get a usb that u can insert to the pocket pc via crafting, and then getting the usb out with shift + right click while holding the pocket pc

I think you would more want a Compact Flash memory card over a USB Stick. I don't see very many people with USB sticks plugged into their mobile devices.

#6 dan200

• Administrators
  • 542 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

You can already put pocket computers in disk drives to get the files off of them, and craft them with wireless modems to speak to networks.

#7 HPWebcamAble

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWeb Development

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Dan makes a good point, Pocket Computers can be made wireless by crafting them with a wireless modem. They are designed to not be wired. You have to work with this limitation.

Second, the drive makes a lot of sense. Perhaps you should be able to add a disk drive to them like you can with the wireless modem?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users