42 replies to this topic

#1 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

What is FileX?

Are you sick of all the files explorers that have a mediocre GUI? Are you tired of file explorers with limited functionallity? Your search has come to an end! Meet FileX, the file exlorer with in-built GUI for easy visualisation of the files.

Screenshots please!

I like the program, but how do I install it.

Run this in the terminal:

pastebin run AVqAFH8h

Goals

In conclusion to this wall of post, you are free to use the program, even in a OS, as long as you give me credit. You have the right to send me pictures of your uses of the program.

If you download the program, feel free to +1, so other people can discover the content. Leave ant comments on about anything you want.

Edited by Creator, 27 February 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#2 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:07 PM

You're a criminal ;D

#3 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:08 PM

InDieTasten, on 22 February 2015 - 11:07 PM, said:

I like your logical reasoning. ;)

But comments that are useful are not forbidden! :)

#4 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

Looks nice from the screenshots, although I wasn't ever in need of file explorers in computercraft. But for beginners with few command line experience this would definitely improve their understanding on whats going on on the terminal and filesystem. Although you can't run away from it when you want to write your own applications using the filesystem.

I would give it an upvote, but I've just seen too many explorers out in the wild^^

#5 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

If you don't leave comments I'll assume you aren't interested in my work and I'll stop posting programs and keep them to myself.

Edited by Creator, 23 February 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#6 Luca_S

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Only programs, that are bad gain much comments, because there are so many bug reports/etc. if your Program is good, noone found a bug/thinks something needs to be added!

#7 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

I would guess most people on the forums already have or don't need a file browser ;) Everyones work is appreciated on the forums. A file browser just isn't as special to me than for example a tower defense game or something along these lines. The really advanced people won't use it, and beginners struggle with your "pastebun" line getting "File not found" error and then messing around with stuff that works with no effort. But don't get mad, please

There are just some sorts of programs, that we have seen a little too much. Firstly so called Operating Systems with 3KB file size and there have been quite a few file browsers here also. It's nothing wrong with your post or your program, it's just nothing special to the most of the community I would assume ;)

#8 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

InDieTasten, on 23 February 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

I would guess most people on the forums already have or don't need a file browser ;) Everyones work is appreciated on the forums. A file browser just isn't as special to me than for example a tower defense game or something along these lines. The really advanced people won't use it, and beginners struggle with your "pastebun" line getting "File not found" error and then messing around with stuff that works with no effort. But don't get mad, please

There are just some sorts of programs, that we have seen a little too much. Firstly so called Operating Systems with 3KB file size and there have been quite a few file browsers here also. It's nothing wrong with your post or your program, it's just nothing special to the most of the community I would assume ;)

Thank you for the pastebun. Just corrected it. ;)

Keine Sorgen, ich bin nicht veraergert.

#9 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Glad to read that :) Text can be interpreted in many ways, including bad ways.
Also note, the forum rules do not allow posts in a language other than English. So be careful with that, although it's tempting to write to fellow countrymen in native language

#10 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

I've just took a peak at your code and am surprised, positively :)
Your code is really clean and effective. One notices you aren't a noob for sure. I like your style. It's a real improvement to what it looked like in your IPnet. Theres just one question left:
What is it that you are backing up textutils.(un)serialize in like every script you post ?

#11 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

InDieTasten, on 23 February 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

Glad to read that :) Text can be interpreted in many ways, including bad ways.
Also note, the forum rules do not allow posts in a language other than English. So be careful with that, although it's tempting to write to fellow countrymen in native language

Yesterday a saw a whole conversation in Spanish. It was a Spanish guy who had a very bad english and asked anothe spanish speaking guy to translate his OS. About the post I just feelsatisfied when people disscuss the program and share ideas.

InDieTasten, on 23 February 2015 - 06:07 PM, said:

I've just took a peak at your code and am surprised, positively :)
Your code is really clean and effective. One notices you aren't a noob for sure. I like your style. It's a real improvement to what it looked like in your IPnet. Theres just one question left:
What is it that you are backing up textutils.(un)serialize in like every script you post ?

I do that because it will save textutils.serialize to textutilsserialize. The when i call textutilsserialize it won't have to look through the textutils file to find serialize, which will result in an increase of the performance.

#12 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

yeah... well... the performance gain won't be this great without calling it like 50 times per second, which you certainly not do. And textutils is a globally defined table, it looks it up in the table, not the file. I mean, it's ok to do that, but it shouldn't matter.

#13 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

InDieTasten, on 23 February 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

yeah... well... the performance gain won't be this great without calling it like 50 times per second, which you certainly not do. And textutils is a globally defined table, it looks it up in the table, not the file. I mean, it's ok to do that, but it shouldn't matter.

For every program you do this there will be a small performance gain. When it sums up, it may become significant.

#14 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:25 PM

Creator, on 23 February 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

For every program you do this there will be a small performance gain. When it sums up, it may become significant.

Unless you're planning to call that function a few million times per second you shouldn't be worrying about that ;). And, as InDieTasten said, it's not opening a file every time it needs to get that function, it just indexes a table. But it is true, that in Lua saving a global function, or function which is in a table, in a local variable is faster.

#15 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

BIG UPDATE!!!

Ugly dialogBox for file & folder options replaced with elegant looking DropDown menu!!!

Here you have screenshots:

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Edited by Creator, 24 February 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#16 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Fixed: There was a bug that made the program crash.

#17 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

Big update!

New features:

- added the ability to open a file with a certain program!
- added copy function for files!
- doesn't work for foldres, returns "599: File exists"

Edited by Creator, 27 February 2015 - 07:47 PM.

#18 davidgumazon

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:39 AM

Nice Explorer ;) not much eating free space

#19 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

davidgumazon, on 15 March 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Thanx.

What do you mean by "not much eating free space"?

#20 davidgumazon

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Creator, on 15 March 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

davidgumazon, on 15 March 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Thanx.

What do you mean by "not much eating free space"?
yep im using default free space not infinite cuz i like normal :lol:
ill Decompile everyone's Idea and insert to my Super Computer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users