[Alpha]New Linux-Like OS: ScaptOS

38 replies to this topic

#21 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:35 PM

View PostAtenefyr, on 02 June 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

View PostCreator, on 02 June 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

Use github, that way no fouls will happen.
And we can get a clue in on the latest unstable release :P
We do use github, but we'd rather not have broken code put up for download and possibly break. Our code currently while it added stuff and fixed stuff broke other things that are crucial. We need to fix those things and until then the current release is the only release. Once we have a somewhat useable unstable build we'll release it to ease some of the anxiousness. But until we get Scooptas motherboard back, we cant do anything. However...

UPDATE: Gui is being worked on! Im working on an API that calls our kernel functions to allow people to create their own desktop environments using my API, sort of like Xserver on Debian. It will also come with a D.E pre installed so that users that dont want to make their own/use one that the community makes will be able to experience the GUI in some way. The desktop environment pre installed will resemble Mint's desktop environment.

Other News:
Looking for people to either create or submit programs to be auto-added to the repository. Apt-get is also being worked on and we want community made creations to be put into the repo. We'll allow the ability to add your own (To be added to the universal repo for others to download, as well as being able to edit the repo file and copy it to other computers in the world, for them to be able to easily download.

#22 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

View PostCloudNinja, on 02 June 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

We do use github, but we'd rather not have broken code put up for download and possibly break.
Make another branch which has the latest live code, so the master branch has the latest stable release.

#23 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostAtenefyr, on 03 June 2015 - 11:34 PM, said:

We do use github, but we'd rather not have broken code put up for download and possibly break.
Make another branch which has the latest live code, so the master branch has the latest stable release.

I agree with Atenefyr, branches ftw.

#24 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

I understand how to use github and everything. But we currently dont have a stable or even slightly stable build other than the current one allowed for download. Sorry for this inconvenience.

#25 syfygirl

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in my mind, to which only makes sense to me.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

hey secuirity bug: cd /../ gets into the root system with the os files

secuirity bug: don't store passwords as plain text in users, use a sha-256 or sha512 encryption.

secuirity bug no file permisions/ownership

#26 syfygirl

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

security bug: cd /../../ goes to computercraft root. now i have access to startup, json, dev, rom.

#27 syfygirl

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

login: (no characters)
passwd: (no characters)

error login:12 attempt to index ?

logging in with no input errors out.

#28 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:12 PM

In response to the passwords: That sort of stuff is hidden without root. Root can view anything, its how linux works. In response to the Login issue, we made a fix but again, cannot push it due to files being on Scoopta harddrive and unavailable until his motherboard is in. It will be another week before we can fix anything,

#29 syfygirl

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

ok to the update but that is not Linux stores it's passwords it encrypts them.

#30 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

View Postsyfyguy13, on 09 June 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

ok to the update but that is not Linux stores it's passwords it encrypts them.
The thing is, if you have, lets say, a windows live CD in a linux machine, you can change passwords and such very easily and get around the login system. Well, thats essentially how it works with our OS. If you live boot another OS, it WILL be able to be bypassed. The point is to not use the root user and sudo the things you need, not always have permission.

#31 syfygirl

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

The point is that there are huge security holes in your OS.

Edited by syfyguy13, 10 June 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#32 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

View Postsyfyguy13, on 10 June 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

The point is that there are huge security holes in your OS.
My point is is that theyve been taken care of but the thing is, i cant push it because of previously stated issues. Until further notice from me, we will not be pushing updates until at least 1 week from now. Stop the conversation about the security holes. They're in every OS, good or bad.

#33 minebuild02

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

Make a branch with live code from latest builds (Live Development), and another branch with stable releases (Stable).

#34 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

View Postminebuild02, on 21 July 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

Make a branch with live code from latest builds (Live Development), and another branch with stable releases (Stable).
Isn't that what I just said?

#35 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:18 PM

Yes, it is. Either way, im sorry it has taken us so long for an update, but we have run into issues with the code and we feel like working on other stuff, so for a little bit ScaptOS is on temporary hiatus. It will be resumed once we have an update pushed and we will attempt regular updates.

#36 ironmountain

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:29 AM

Cloud, putting this project on hiatus is one step closer to every other unix-like OS on this forum thats gone no where. Try not to be a repeat of everyone elses failures.

#37 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:15 AM

View Postironmountain, on 28 July 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

Cloud, putting this project on hiatus is one step closer to every other unix-like OS on this forum thats gone no where. Try not to be a repeat of everyone elses failures.
Me and scoopta are currently working on an even bigger project, thats the main reason.

#38 LewisTehMinerz

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationMinecraft in Minecraft in Minecraft in ComputerCraft... in Minecraft

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

Does the strike-through the apt-get means it's not implemented?

#39 Cloud Ninja

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

View PostLewisTehMinerz, on 19 August 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

Does the strike-through the apt-get means it's not implemented?
Yes

Unfortunately guys, neither me nor scoopta are up for working on this specific OS anymore. Its too in depth for me to do it myself, but i will be making another OS in the meantime. Anyone who would like it may PM me and request the code from me for this. Thanks for the support guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users