17 replies to this topic

#1 Pyrif

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Locationin a chair in my room, probably

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:40 PM

Helios

An Action Platformer

Description: This game is in early alpha, and as such does not have many features. Planned features will not be released until Beta.
Controls:
Left and Right Arrows to trigger horizontal movement
Currently cannot stop horizontal movement (but stops at edges)
Space to jump
Tab to exit
Update Log:
(Current) (Alpha) v0.2: Added a stop key, now the player has the ability to stop moving horizontally by pressing the Down key.
(Alpha) v0.1: First version - Horizontal and vertical movement, vertical collision detection, default, built-in, all-ports-compatible level.
Current Version Download:
pastebin get kVdJBS3c helios
Then simply run the shell command helios.
Screenshots:
404 not found.

Edited by LightMystic, 17 June 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:34 AM

Some more descriptive variable names wouldn't go astray, as far as basic readability goes. And remember you've got the whole keys API filled with some lovely constants you can use!

Your jumping logic can also be applied to your horizontal movement system - use a dynamic velocity, have the movement keys add/subtract a bit to whatever it currently is, and, on every iteration, add it to your x position and make it automatically move closer to 0.

#3 Pyrif

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:41 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 12 June 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

Some more descriptive variable names wouldn't go astray, as far as basic readability goes. And remember you've got the whole keys API filled with some lovely constants you can use!

Your jumping logic can also be applied to your horizontal movement system - use a dynamic velocity, have the movement keys add/subtract a bit to whatever it currently is, and, on every iteration, add it to your x position and make it automatically move closer to 0.
Thanks for the suggestions. As for the variable names, I obfuscate them because I want to be able to edit this game on portable if necessary. However, I do recognize that it probably won't be necessary. XD

#4 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostLightMystic, on 12 June 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

I want to be able to edit this game on portable if necessary.

Sorry, can't quite make out your meaning there. :huh:

#5 Pyrif

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 12 June 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

View PostLightMystic, on 12 June 2015 - 03:41 AM, said:

I want to be able to edit this game on portable if necessary.

Sorry, can't quite make out your meaning there. :huh:
What I mean is if I'm testing it out on a portable advanced computer (making levels for portable and whatnot), I want to have the variable names as compact as possible so I can edit the program without having to scroll right to see most of the line of code.

#6 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:45 AM

Ah, you mean an advanced pocket computer.

There's no real need to use the edit script through a computer, though. Write your code in your text editor of choice, dump it onto pastebin, then download it to test.

Better yet, do your coding in single-player mode, where you can directly access and manipulate the script files on your CC computers via Windows Explorer or whatever.

#7 Pyrif

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

XD I keep thinking the pocket computers are portable computers. I have no idea WHY I make that mistake. Sometimes, I even jokingly call them iPhones. XD
The fun thing is that I actually like the Lua editor in CC. It's probably not the best option, but it's a pretty danged good one. :P

#8 Pyrif

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

Update! Now have the ability to stop by pressing down.
BombBloke, the reason I opted for this is because os.pullEvent() doesn't get information every step. It gets the key event as if you were typing it, which isn't optimal for games. This is why I opted for perpetual movement with a stop key.

#9 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

Ah, you're suffering from the missing "key_up" event. Fun fact: CC 1.74 will have it! :)

#10 Pyrif

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:58 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 18 June 2015 - 12:32 AM, said:

Ah, you're suffering from the missing "key_up" event. Fun fact: CC 1.74 will have it! :)
:blink:
I read so many things about the key_up event, and every one said it would never happen! Thanks for informing me. :DD That'll be SO useful in the future...

#11 CaosTECH

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationIn your closet

Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:44 AM

The level is empty? Is there a way to edit the game to where there is objects in the room?

- Edit
WOW, only 76 lines for this and it runs like how it does! That is some good coding, im looking forward to future releases of this game

Edited by ArchTyler, 20 September 2015 - 04:45 AM.

#12 Creeper9207

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:22 AM

Super Helios Maker™

#13 CaosTECH

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationIn your closet

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostCreeper9207, on 20 September 2015 - 05:22 AM, said:

Super Helios Maker™
?

#14 Waitdev_

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostArchTyler, on 20 September 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

Super Helios Maker™
?
its a reference to Super Mario Maker.
-*-
what if there was a feature for the key_up event? so you don't need to press down to stop?

Edited by Wait_, 20 September 2015 - 06:09 AM.

#15 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostWait_, on 20 September 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

View PostArchTyler, on 20 September 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

Super Helios Maker™
?
its a reference to Super Mario Maker.
-*-
what if there was a feature for the key_up event? so you don't need to press down to stop?

There is a key_up event! But if it is to be compatible with 1.73 and prior, it can't be used. But that shouldn't be a huge problem.

#16 Pyrif

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:52 AM

Okay, then, Helios is 1.74 confirmed! Getting to work on it! :D

#17 CaosTECH

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationIn your closet

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

Can't wait till you release a new update, this game has a great future ahead of it!

#18 XGN ArchTyler

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:48 AM

I love the game! I started to realize there's probably not going to be an update so I took it into my own hands and modified it a bit, unable to do much though because of how complex and strange the code is though, I did manage to add some platforms and stuff. Anyways, I hope you start up on working on this again, its a great idea and one of the first platformers I have seen made for CC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users