Hello World -- Innovation Redefined

36 replies to this topic

#1 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

Hello World

by Ice Cream

Hello World is an extremely innovative program, it is able to produce a valid and worthy output full of quintessence in a single line, giving you the freedom to install a plethora of other programs due to no storage constraints. Hello World has the ability to change the future, inspiring new programmers from around the world.

Hello World's compatability is like no other, it will run on any device in ComputerCraft, and anything that supports the Lua scripting language, and sometimes other languages if they support the print function.

Screenshots

So, pretty awesome right? In order to begin using Hello World you need to install it first. Simply run the following and it will install it for you, then you just need to run the executable.

pastebin get g8jSZrSx helloworld

Edited by Ice Cream, 10 July 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#2 InDieTasten

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:59 AM

when the pastebin retrieval command is longer than the file content ;D

This is awesome dude!!! +1

Edited by InDieTasten, 10 July 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#3 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

View PostInDieTasten, on 10 July 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

when the pastebin retrieval command is longer than the file content ;D

This is awesome dude!!! +1

Thank you, i'm trying to revolutionise computers, one step at a time. :)

#4 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

I have to say that I enjoyed your program thoroughly. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and it does a very good job doing it. The program was incredibly easy to use because of its simple user interface, which really shined because there was nothing to control at all. The program did its job by itself. It just knew what to do. That way, it's hard for the user to mess up or get confused. At times the best way to solve a problem, is to avoid the problem in the first place and your program is a perfect example thereof.

Though, I can't help but notice the similarities with the in-built "hello" program. As such, I'd like to do a comparison between the two. The CraftOS program dominates yours by randomly colouring the output. Colour is a very important part of vision; without it we wouldn't be able to distinguish objects from other objects, as well as that, however, they also affect our emotions. While the colour red makes us aggressive, the colour blue induces a calming atmosphere. Because the in-built program randomises the text colour, it's an exciting adventure to use it. You never know what you're going to feel when you start the program. Your program, however, is great by doing the opposite. Sometimes I don't want to go on an adventure and just relax, which only your program allows me to do. By adding a comma to the program output, you have broadened your demographic greatly. Many people insist on using correct grammar. The use of a comma in the output really appeals to such grammar pedants and will also save yourself from a bunch of angry PMs. As well as that, the functional capacity of your program is as such much greater than the CraftOS equivalent's. Size does matter and your program doesn't fail to follow that statement. I love how you want your users to feel like they own a luxurious product, which may even improve someone's quality of life. And who doesn't want that happening to them?

Overall, I really like your program but I'm not sure whether I'd want to go over the inconvenience of installing a new program over just using the built-in one.

#5 Lemmmy

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

While I appreciate Lignum's attempt to portray constructive feedback towards a spawn of the efforts made by your neural centre, I must invoke my deep, emotional concern unto you. Personally, I have had a traumatic past involving many incidents which I do not wish to talk about, however, the colours orange, magenta, light blue, yellow, lime, pink, grey, light grey, cyan, purple, blue, brown, green and red all cause very painful flashbacks regarding the existence and happenings during my devastating life that has already occurred and cannot be reiterated or repaired. When I read Lignum's very thoughtful and beautifully crafted computerised reply to this message board's thread, I began to experience painful palpitations inside, outside and around of my cardiac muscle. His post triggered me. Thus, I would like to formally request that you do not implement radomly coloured output in your application.

Now, regarding your program. I believe that it can be taken a lot further as an innovation to the software market. You could perhaps add documentation to allow other programmers to use it as an API. I know that as a programmer myself, I would absolutely love to be able to call your Hello World program as a library from my already innovative applications, making the innovation levels double. We can collaborate on the production of this, and one day we will rule the market while radiating the essence of our synergy.

I hope that you take my suggestions into consideration, and I respect the time that you have taken to produce this product and the time to read my message. Good day, sir.

Edited by LemonLake, 10 July 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#6 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

View PostLignum, on 10 July 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

I have to say that I enjoyed your program thoroughly. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and it does a very good job doing it. The program was incredibly easy to use because of its simple user interface, which really shined because there was nothing to control at all. The program did its job by itself. It just knew what to do. That way, it's hard for the user to mess up or get confused. At times the best way to solve a problem, is to avoid the problem in the first place and your program is a perfect example thereof.

Though, I can't help but notice the similarities with the in-built "hello" program. As such, I'd like to do a comparison between the two. The CraftOS program dominates yours by randomly colouring the output. Colour is a very important part of vision; without it we wouldn't be able to distinguish objects from other objects, as well as that, however, they also affect our emotions. While the colour red makes us aggressive, the colour blue induces a calming atmosphere. Because the in-built program randomises the text colour, it's an exciting adventure to use it. You never know what you're going to feel when you start the program. Your program, however, is great by doing the opposite. Sometimes I don't want to go on an adventure and just relax, which only your program allows me to do. By adding a comma to the program output, you have broadened your demographic greatly. Many people insist on using correct grammar. The use of a comma in the output really appeals to such grammar pedants and will also save yourself from a bunch of angry PMs. As well as that, the functional capacity of your program is as such much greater than the CraftOS equivalent's. Size does matter and your program doesn't fail to follow that statement. I love how you want your users to feel like they own a luxurious product, which may even improve someone's quality of life. And who doesn't want that happening to them?

Overall, I really like your program but I'm not sure whether I'd want to go over the inconvenience of installing a new program over just using the built-in one.

term.blit("Hello, World!", (function() local s = ""; for i = 1,13 do s=s..tostring(math.random(0,9)) end return s; end)(),"0000000000000")

(Untested)
Is this enough colour for you?

Edited by Freack100, 10 July 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#7 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostLemonLake, on 10 July 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

-snip-

First off, I must express my apologies for mentioning the concerned terms. I didn't take a minute to stop and think about the consequences the use of the terms may have and I really am sorry for it.

The idea of an API is great. OP being the only developer, it must be hard to maintain the software and keep adding new features. An API, paired with a plugin system could make this issue a thing of the past. Considering that the program was only released recently, it is understandable that the userbase is small. Though as it grows larger, I can imagine a plethora of great expansions to the program being made by the community, which will further expand upon the innovation that OP so longs for.

I expect the program to have a great future and I wish you, OP, the best of luck with it. And again, sorry LemonLake, for my irresponsibility.

View PostFreack100, on 10 July 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

term.blit("Hello, World!", (function() local s = ""; for i = 1,13 do s=s..tostring(math.random(0,9)) end return s; end)(),"0000000000000")

(Untested)
Is this enough colour for you?

Thank you for your effort. This just adds to my previous point about the community making great additions! I'm not sure whether you have read LemonLake's post, but in summary, their PTSD is triggered by the use of colours. This is of course a great disadvantage for them. We don't want them to miss out on the great experience that is this program.

Maybe we can get the best of both worlds? Adding a setting that allows this to be changed would solve the issue. However, doing that requires that the user interact with the program and the absence of said interaction is what makes this program shine, as I already pointed out in my previous post.

#8 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

View PostLignum, on 10 July 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

-snip-

It sounds really nice that you think so much about LemonLake's disadvantage, but I don't think that he/she is really "disabled" by colors when using computercraft as there are normal computers too!

Ice Cream could make a "normal" version of the program, which is compatible with every type of computer, so LemonLake can enjoy the full experience of Ice Cream's revolutionary program!

Edited by Freack100, 10 July 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#9 Lemmmy

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

EDIT: (as Freack100 has pointed out) Perhaps instead of requiring user interaction, we can simply involve the colour usage only if the computer the user is using is advanced. This is a much more efficient approach. EDIT: (as Freack100 probably did not know) As of the beta versions, the colours grey and light grey, which, as you know, I cannot be involved with, are able to be used in basic computers. We could use the revolutionary "if statement" in order to resolve this. As you know, the "if statement" is an excellent invention. It will improve the speed of the program, at no cost at all.

I recently got home from the place in which I commit labour in a conglomerate-owned industrial building in exchange for a physical version of the currency used in our great country, thus I have done an in-depth analysis of your product. Almost everything has been mentioned except the speed. Your "Hello World" program is noticeably faster than the equivalent included in CraftOS. Being a programmer, I speculate that this may be due to the lack of a colour feature. While that is the most plausible solution, it may also be that your file requires more gigabytes. Memory often needs more gigabytes, so this may be appropriate.

Or if we're willing to get a little adventurous, another possibility is that the differences between processor architectures can cause incompatibility. This is reasoned for by the large amount of competition in the computing market, where every company uses a different computing algorithm for their numbers. Such difference includes the lack of an if-statement in some processors. They pay the software engineers to write exclusively for their processors, MORE GIGABYTES. The CraftOS application only uses a certain processor, so we should ensure that yours also includes Intel processors, NVIDIA processors and WalMart processors.

However, thank you for making the wise decisions you did to create an efficient and overall stunning application.

EDIT: Freack100's code doesn't work. Maybe you need to update the proxy server. My internet provider tells me to do that a lot.

EDIT TWO: I tried to download the brand new update, however it says that it is illegal. Please don't call the police, just fix it. I really love this program.

Posted Image

Edited by LemonLake, 13 November 2015 - 05:09 PM.

#10 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostLemonLake, on 10 July 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

EDIT: (as Freack100 has pointed out) Perhaps instead of requiring user interaction, we can simply involve the colour usage only if the computer the user is using is advanced. This is a much more efficient approach. EDIT: (as Freack100 probably did not know) As of the beta versions, the colours grey and light grey, which, as you know, I cannot be involved with, are able to be used in basic computers. We could use the revolutionary "if statement" in order to resolve this. As you know, the "if statement" is an excellent invention. It will improve the speed of the program, at no cost at all.

I recently got home from the place in which I commit labour in a conglomerate-owned industrial building in exchange for a physical version of the currency used in our great country, thus I have done an in-depth analysis of your product. Almost everything has been mentioned except the speed. Your "Hello World" program is noticeably faster than the equivalent included in CraftOS. Being a programmer, I speculate that this may be due to the lack of a colour feature. While that is the most plausible solution, it may also be that your file requires more gigabytes. Memory often needs more gigabytes, so this may be appropriate.

Or if we're willing to get a little adventurous, another possibility is that the differences between processor architectures can cause incompatibility. This is reasoned for by the large amount of competition in the computing market, where every company uses a different computing algorithm for their numbers. Such difference includes the lack of an if-statement in some processors. They pay the software engineers to write exclusively for their processors, MORE GIGABYTES. The CraftOS application only uses a certain processor, so we should ensure that yours also includes Intel processors, NVIDIA processors and WalMart processors.

However, thank you for making the wise decisions you did to create an efficient and overall stunning application.

EDIT: Freack100's code doesn't work. Maybe you need to update the proxy server. My internet provider tells me to do that a lot.

EDIT TWO: I tried to download the brand new update, however it says that it is illegal. Please don't call the police, just fix it. I really love this program.

Posted Image

Don't worry, I told the police its okay. I'll patch that soon as I get home, as for colour support: I would prefer if the users of my innovative program would just realise that colour is an unnecessary gimmick that adds pain and hardships to a man who has experienced a great accident, and ruins some compatibility.

#11 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

It seems to be working perfectly fine for me....
Here's a screenshot, made black and white in favour of LemonLake:
Posted Image

Could it be that the problem is caused by Windows 7? Windows 8 has added pixels, whereas Windows 7 uses texels, which is illegal because "texels" sounds too similar to Texas.

#12 AlexDevs

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Location~

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

You gave me happiness with this program! Thank you!

#13 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostLignum, on 11 July 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

It seems to be working perfectly fine for me....
Here's a screenshot, made black and white in favour of LemonLake:
Posted Image

Could it be that the problem is caused by Windows 7? Windows 8 has added pixels, whereas Windows 7 uses texels, which is illegal because "texels" sounds too similar to Texas.

Hmm, perhaps the system is then being confused between Texas, and Texans. This will be an awfully long debugging session.

#14 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostLignum, on 11 July 2015 - 08:00 PM, said:

which is illegal because "texels" sounds too similar to Texas.
Hey, you got something against Texas?

#15 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostAtenefyr, on 18 July 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

Hey, you got something against Texas?

No, I was simply stating that it is illegal to name your product "texel" because it's too similar to "Texas", which is a name trademarked by the USSR (might also be the USA, but I'm not too sure).

#16 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostLignum, on 18 July 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

No, I was simply stating that it is illegal to name your product "texel" because it's too similar to "Texas", which is a name trademarked by the USSR (might also be the USA, but I'm not too sure).
uh okay then

#17 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:40 PM

View PostAtenefyr, on 18 July 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

View PostLignum, on 18 July 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

uh okay then

Wait a sec. Atenefyr responded to a comment about Texas.... And with some sense of personal pride in the state too...

WE'RE ONE STEP CLOSER TO FINDING YOUR SECRET LOCATION ATENEFYR >;V

Edited by cyanisaac, 19 July 2015 - 10:40 PM.

#18 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

View Postcyanisaac, on 19 July 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

Wait a sec. Atenefyr responded to a comment about Texas.... And with some sense of personal pride in the state too...

noo my secret loc- wait a second, what is that Twitter says?
Posted Image
too bad you'll never know which city I live in

Edited by Atenefyr, 20 July 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#19 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostAtenefyr, on 20 July 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

View Postcyanisaac, on 19 July 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

noo my secret loc- wait a second, what is that Twitter says?
Posted Image
too bad you'll never know which city I live in

Somehow we'll be able to track you down. XD

#20 biggest yikes

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

View PostH4X0RZ, on 20 July 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Somehow we'll be able to track you down. XD
don't ask the admins for my IP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users