Cyber Warfare

27 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you Join? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you join a Cyber Warfare server?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:15 AM

I have been on a plethora of various servers lately, and it seems that a lot of people would thoroughly enjoy a Cyber Warfare esque server. I recently aquired the resources to host a server, so why not? I wanted to make a post to assure that people on the forums are actually interested, and atleast a few people would join.

I'm going to leave this for open discussion, regarding the rules and such so i'll setup a few spoilers containing what the server should feature in regards to programs, mods, etc. In order for me to open the server, I want at least 10 people interested in joining, our progress is as follows:

7 / 10 People are Interested

Mods

Rules
General

Edited by Ice Cream, 27 July 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#2 Rougeminner

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

intresting... is this sounds fun.

I VOTE YUP!

Edited by Rougeminner, 26 July 2015 - 03:47 AM.

#3 Rougeminner

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

what sub packs for flans are installed?

btw i agree with the team idea... so long as it stays fairly balanced

Edited by Rougeminner, 26 July 2015 - 04:04 AM.

#4 SnappComputerCraft

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:17 AM

Sounds neat. Maybe make custom operating systems for the server?

#5 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostRougeminner, on 26 July 2015 - 04:03 AM, said:

what sub packs for flans are installed?

btw i agree with the team idea... so long as it stays fairly balanced

In planning on modern combat, not sure what else really, any suggestions?

View PostSnappComputerCraft, on 26 July 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

Sounds neat. Maybe make custom operating systems for the server?

I'm not sure about custom operating systems, but perhaps each team could have various programs in the rom such as specific messaging.

#6 Astrophylite

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationgps.locate()

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

View PostIce Cream, on 26 July 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

I have been on a plethora of various servers lately, and it seems that a lot of people would thoroughly enjoy a Cyber Warfare esque server. I recently aquired the resources to host a server, so why not? I wanted to make a post to assure that people on the forums are actually interested, and atleast a few people would join.

I'm going to leave this for open discussion, regarding the rules and such so i'll setup a few spoilers containing what the server should feature in regards to programs, mods, etc.

Mods

Rules

Edit: What would you guys think about a team system, when you join for the first time you can pick to be on either red team or blue team?

I would definitely join this server, especially with Teams because it would be fun to work with other people, newbies or not, when programming.
However, I have a few questions:

1. Will there be Team Chat? So like, red team can't see what blue team are talking about and vice versa, then maybe a /sayglobal command to talk to everyone ?

2. Can we like, hack, the oppositions computer, maybe key log or send all programs to a remote computer ?

3. How will we get items? Will we start with a set load of items or can we give ourselves items?

That's all my questions. I can't wait for the release date for this server because I am learning a hell of a lot more Lua coding on this other server I am playing on.

Mod Suggestions

EDIT: Another reason for why I would like Teams, is so that I know there are some people who I can go near and not get killed ^_^

Edited by _zircon_, 26 July 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#7 Rougeminner

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

i think it might be easier to use CC IRC to communicate by team. not the most secure but hey what ever. edit it and encrypt it or something looking forward to the server.

@Ice Cream. thanks for offering to setup a server for CC this will be fun. i have wanted to do stuff like this on others servers. but CC is that mod that everyone knows about. but not how to use :(

#8 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

I love this idea, but assuming that Cyber Warfare means hacking other people's computers, there is one big flaw: What is there to hack? In order for this to work, players have to be encouraged to use rednet. One idea I had was to install as little non-ComputerCraft mods as possible, forcing players to use CC for automation. That way, it's more likely that players will use rednet to remote control their base, allowing hackers to find security problems in order to mess with their affairs. Additionally, to resolve the previous issue of team communication, team chat could also be done via rednet, which is vulnerable to spying. But then again, there is always going to be that guy who uses external software anyway.

Overall, I'd love to play on this server, but it certainly will require a lot of thought to be put into in order to be fun. So good luck with making it!

#9 Rougeminner

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:48 PM

i think that with the two mods that were said to be installed lignum that using CC won't be a problem. the most that We can do about it is to use CC ourselves and hope the other do it as well right?

merry hacking :)

you asked for suggestions for flans. i am good with what you got but helo's would be nice
i can't remember if there in that sub-pack though

Edited by Rougeminner, 26 July 2015 - 06:14 PM.

#10 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Sounds like a nice idea!

If it is going to support Bukkit/Spigot I could help with custom plugins (If you want the team stuff to be handled this way for example.)

#11 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, I will probably install a chat plugin. Global being the default, and you join/leave your respective team colour. You're allowed to freely use any computer of the opposite team, that includes the installation/deletion/modification of absolutely anything.

I agree Lignum, i'm considering an automated system that "drops" a care package every hour or so, and perhaos that could contain sensitive information which then they must decrypt and protect for a reward? The decrypted data could be sent through a dedicated channel and require some time, so the opposite team could stop the upload or steal the data.

#12 delaney519

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:52 AM

Needs ICBM MFFS and OpenComputers.

#13 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

View Postdelaney519, on 27 July 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

Needs ICBM MFFS and OpenComputers.

Added to the OP, might need to nerf some items, to prevent the server crying itself to sleep.

Edit: I might setup a Buycraft store, so you can donate a small amount ($1 USD?) in order to change teams, just incase you wanted to for whatever reason. I was also thinking that maybe you could also donate a small amount in order to force the deployment of a "care package" as mentioned in the OP.

Edited by Ice Cream, 27 July 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#14 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

As an alternative to having two teams, perhaps we could allow the creation of many individual teams? A 'last one alive' style game. An example of implementing this: Every team builds a base with a "reactor", this reactor has to be cooled every 5 seconds by a computer (using a peripheral function call?). If it is not cooled, the reactor explodes and that team automatically loses the game. The goal is to eliminate the other teams' bases by destroying or hacking their reactor computers (the reactor itself is unbreakable).

While this would require a simple mod to be made, it would also extend the duration of the matches by quite a bit. This may be beneficial for players living in different time zones.

In addition to the care packages you mentioned, what could increase hackability even more is shop software that is integrated into the ROM. This could encourage people to create online shops, from which the other team(s) can buy items. By listening to shop traffic, it'd be possible to see what the other team(s) are buying or selling, allowing a strategy to be built based on their purchases. Many players joining late into the game would benefit from this, but in turn would make the powerful players even more powerful, which makes me a little bit skeptic.

I do like the idea of encryption/decryption. However, I'm just not sure whether it could work the way you said. How would you stop an upload? What use would stolen data be, if all computers upload equally fast?

#15 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

View PostLignum, on 27 July 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

As an alternative to having two teams, perhaps we could allow the creation of many individual teams? A 'last one alive' style game. An example of implementing this: Every team builds a base with a "reactor", this reactor has to be cooled every 5 seconds by a computer (using a peripheral function call?). If it is not cooled, the reactor explodes and that team automatically loses the game. The goal is to eliminate the other teams' bases by destroying or hacking their reactor computers (the reactor itself is unbreakable).

While this would require a simple mod to be made, it would also extend the duration of the matches by quite a bit. This may be beneficial for players living in different time zones.

In addition to the care packages you mentioned, what could increase hackability even more is shop software that is integrated into the ROM. This could encourage people to create online shops, from which the other team(s) can buy items. By listening to shop traffic, it'd be possible to see what the other team(s) are buying or selling, allowing a strategy to be built based on their purchases. Many players joining late into the game would benefit from this, but in turn would make the powerful players even more powerful, which makes me a little bit skeptic.

I do like the idea of encryption/decryption. However, I'm just not sure whether it could work the way you said. How would you stop an upload? What use would stolen data be, if all computers upload equally fast?

Your peripheral reactor sounds cool, but how would a program for it look? Somethimg like this?

local reactor = peripheral.wrap ("back")
os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw

while true do
  reactor.cool ()
  sleep (4)
end

Not that impressive, and not hackable (from range) at all.

#16 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:40 AM

I'd love to join this kind of server, been looking for one actually! ^^

View Postflaghacker, on 28 July 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

local reactor = peripheral.wrap ("back")
os.pullEvent = os.pullEventRaw

while true do
  reactor.cool ()
  sleep (4)
end

Not that impressive, and not hackable (from range) at all.
If this would be the case, eg that a reactor has to be cooled every 5 min, then I'd suggest you'd add it to the rules that it would have to be done remotely, so that the other team actually can hack the reactor, so that it would depend on the other teams security knowledge( encryption and whatnot ), like this example, do note that it's not protected though, it's an example on how this could work.
Example

Edited by TheOddByte, 28 July 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#17 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

I quite like Lignum's idea but I'm not sure about individual teams, maybe perhaps each red or blue has a reactor in their base, but maybe the reactor has a "controller" and commands must be sent to the controller wirelessly, this would allow a team to intercept and prevent another team from cooling their reactor.

#18 Rougeminner

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

which mod is this reactor from?

#19 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

View PostRougeminner, on 29 July 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

It's a made up block. We'd have to make it if we did use this system.

#20 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

View PostLignum, on 29 July 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

View PostRougeminner, on 29 July 2015 - 05:57 PM, said:

It's a made up block. We'd have to make it if we did use this system.
I think it would be easier to make it a bukkit plug-in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users