The Sydney Project

29 replies to this topic

#1 Sniper_killshot

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Internet Hub, Oslo, Norway

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:06 AM

hi all

my friends and i are hoping to make a 1:1 scale replica of the world, starting with sydney, then Australia, then the world. to accomplish this we will need (preferably) a team of skilled computercraft coders. we will be using a lot of mods and we will be running 1.7.10

#2 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:55 AM

Moved to General.

#3 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:10 AM

As someone from Australia, I'm really excited. What exactly do you need help with?

#4 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:24 AM

It strikes me that someone has probably already started something along these lines. You would be far better off hunting down an existing team and joining them, than you would in re-inventing the wheel. Especially since the wheel is a sphere as big as the planet.

Were it me (and no, it won't be), I'd be writing code external to Minecraft that'd tap into Google Maps and generate world files directly from their 3D data. The trick'd be accounting for the difference between a flat world and a round one: for a shape of that size, it'd justify development of a mod to curve the edges of blocks (ever so slightly!) to have them fit together into a giant ball.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 24 November 2015 - 08:08 AM.

#5 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:37 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 13 November 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

Were it me (and no, it won't be), I'd be writing code external to Minecraft that'd tap into Google Maps and generate world files directly from their 3D data. The trick'd be accounting for the difference between a flat world and a round one: for a shape of that size, it'd justify development of a mod to curve the edges of blocks (ever so slightly!) to have them fit together into a giant ball.

Man, that'd be pretty awesome

#6 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

Is an MC world even big enough?

#7 MKlegoman357

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • LocationKaunas, Lithuania

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

View PostH4X0RZ, on 13 November 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

Minecraft world's surface area is about 7 times larger than earth's. So it should be big enough.

#8 クデル

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostMKlegoman357, on 13 November 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Minecraft world's surface area is about 7 times larger than earth's. So it should be big enough.

Isn't generation infinite anyways?

#9 Goof

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Well. So far the only thing i know of is, that a team of programmers/coders made Denmark in Minecraft based on the Danish Geodata Agency (LINK)
So in the near future we might see a fullsized world inside Minecraft, however if encountering round objects, it'd be hard.
Even the amount of data required for making a small country as Denmark is about 1 Terabyte of Harddrive space. Thats.. Quite a large amount of data for a country. The whole world would be... approximately ( approx world size 510 000 000 km2 / 42 915 km2 ) 11 883.95 Terabyte. (Correct my calculations if im wrong).
But 11 thousands of Terabytes for the world is pretty large if you were going to store it down in your appartment (Hopefully you're not)

But Yeah. Im not sure if Minecraft would crash, trying to load such enormous data, or if you'd need several thousands of servers connecting the places to create a "smooth" visual experience.

As a previous comment says it'd be better to join a team which are currently making such projects, instead of starting all over.

#10 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostEsKreme, on 13 November 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostMKlegoman357, on 13 November 2015 - 07:52 AM, said:

Isn't generation infinite anyways?

Nope. After some time you will either find the "highlands" (IIRC) or an invisible , depending on your MC version.

#11 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostMikk809h, on 13 November 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

But Yeah. Im not sure if Minecraft would crash, trying to load such enormous data, or if you'd need several thousands of servers connecting the places to create a "smooth" visual experience.

The only parts of a Minecraft world map which are loaded into RAM are the bits which're actually in use: areas populated by logged-in players, and areas maintained by chunk loaders. Also spawn, for whatever reason.

I'd say that getting the hardware to host such a world would be the least of your worries. I mean, sure, for the average person those sorts of resources are a big ask, but gathering accurate data to build the map from and managing the workers would be each be far more demanding.

#12 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 13 November 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

I agree with BombBloke, in that this is likely your best bet.

This year's GovHack (an Australian hackathon using government-released data) had a team that used a similar approach to create a topographical map of Canberra using geoscience data released by the CSIRO, and they discuss some of the successes and challenges of the project here: https://hackerspace....craft-your-city

#13 Waitdev_

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

what about the build height?

#14 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  • LocationYou will never find me, muhahahahahaha

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostWait_, on 17 November 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

256 block max. Except if there is a mod to change that.

Edited by Creator, 17 November 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#15 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

View PostCreator, on 17 November 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

I remember seeing a mod somewhere (I forget the name) that raised the build height to some crazy power of 2 (WAY above 2^8), but it was terribly outdated. I think it advertised 'vertical chunks', which I think was what the Anvil world format uses, so it must've been made before that.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Cubic Chunks. Last update was final version 1.0.0. Nope, not using that!

Edited by LDDestroier, 17 November 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#16 Waitdev_

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostLDDestroier, on 17 November 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostCreator, on 17 November 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

I remember seeing a mod somewhere (I forget the name) that raised the build height to some crazy power of 2 (WAY above 2^8), but it was terribly outdated. I think it advertised 'vertical chunks', which I think was what the Anvil world format uses, so it must've been made before that.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Cubic Chunks. Last update was final version 1.0.0. Nope, not using that!
what if we got someone to make a mod?

#17 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

I doubt anyone would make a mode for someone else. The best you can do is do a mode yourself.

#18 Sniper_killshot

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Internet Hub, Oslo, Norway

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:39 AM

View PostEsKreme, on 13 November 2015 - 04:10 AM, said:

As someone from Australia, I'm really excited. What exactly do you need help with?

well if you could host the server, or get us in contact with someone who could(preferably for free) it would help alot. also, if you could get us in touch with some good computercrafters, that would immensely help.

#19 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:08 PM

View PostCreator, on 21 November 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

I doubt anyone would make a mode for someone else. The best you can do is do a mode yourself.

If you tell me what exactly the mod should do, I would be happy to help you. (Or at least try it. I'm not *too* good with forge.)

#20 Creator

Mad Dash Victor

• Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:56 AM

Its not for me, but the mod should take the data from Google earth maps and transform it into minecraft blocks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users