OS-Related Threads

7 replies to this topic

#1 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:37 AM

After having a topic of mine asking about a future OS-related project being merged with an almost completely unrelated thread, I am going to start a suggestion.

It seems that the CC staff hates operating systems, and I get that maybe, but you should allow OS threads that don't relate to a completed operating system exist outside of Programs > Operating Systems.

A good example is asking about what the community would want to see in an OS. That should exist in General, not Programs > Operating Systems, especially not in an OS thread for something unrelated. Because that thread is discussion, not a completed OS.

Please consider that, until then I need to relocate discussions about OSes elsewhere off the forums, which is a real bummer. (Since they aren't allowed here in any good place on the forums).

#2 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

As I have now explained to you numerous times, prior to the creation of the Operating Systems section of the forums, both General and the main Programs section were inundated with topics discussing OSs. The posts in General were nearly invariably vaporware, and the topics were numerous enough that they were beginning to crowd out other content. Because of these issues, the Operating Systems section and its rules were created to contain the OS posts and to allow other content to thrive.

I can't speak for the rest of the staff members, but I certainly don't hate operating systems (having created one myself!). I don't want to see them choke out other content again, however.

#3 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:29 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 13 January 2016 - 04:08 AM, said:

As I have now explained to you numerous times, prior to the creation of the Operating Systems section of the forums, both General and the main Programs section were inundated with topics discussing OSs. The posts in General were nearly invariably vaporware, and the topics were numerous enough that they were beginning to crowd out other content. Because of these issues, the Operating Systems section and its rules were created to contain the OS posts and to allow other content to thrive.

I can't speak for the rest of the staff members, but I certainly don't hate operating systems (having created one myself!). I don't want to see them choke out other content again, however.

Potentially create a subforum for Operating systems (oh goodness a subforum of a subforum) for discussing stuff related to operating systems, but for stuff that doesn't exist yet? IDK. I just don't see any other way to post such a topic as I tried to, and I don't know any other way to gather community feedback on a new OS project other than through these forums.

(And I made this post before the PM. So yes, thank you for clarifying in your PM.)

#4 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

If you have an idea for a feature in an OS, then post it in the idea exchange, or write an OS with the feature (or modify someone else's, with their permission of course)

#5 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

Whilst I didn't at first a few years back, I do have to agree with Lyqyd.

While yes, it's a bit of a pain for the few who wouldn't abuse it, the vast majority of posts would all be along the lines of "hey im making an super awesome os with a bazillion features and want suggestions and people to help out." One month later the 'OS' still won't have anything past a textutils.slowPrint loading screen and before long the poster will get bored and either move on to 'version 2', creating yet another topic with "even more features and a GUI", or leave the forums.

Blunt, I'm sorry, but it's oh so true.

What I'd instead recommend is first code the OS to a high enough standard that it can be posted in Programs, then starting asking for feedback on what should be improved, or create something like a Gitter room to ask for feedback. That's what I've been doing for the OS I'm making with Silica; it also means you can respond much quicker.

#6 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

Although not an OS, Hive (as it is at the moment) is a semi-good example of what happens. I can't remember the last time I have poked the github repo for more than "here's another idea". Still waiting for Uni to ease up so I can get back into it.

#7 cyanisaac

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

A gitter room is a good idea, why didn't I think of that.

#8 HPWebcamAble

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWeb Development

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:20 AM

View Postoeed, on 13 January 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

code the OS to a high enough standard that it can be posted in Programs

I assume you mean the OS section of Programs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users