Problem with resetting world without loosing code..

2 replies to this topic

#1 Comicfan

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

Hello,

we got a small problem, we use the Hour of Code world of Minecraft.

A student programmed a turtle so that it aims at removing the diamonds under the ground. He takes a second turn and cannot undo the first step. How to reset the first turn, so that the student can start from scratch when the Undo function is no longer available?

Here, however, both he and the other students should keep their programs.

Can the world be resettet, but kept the programs of the students?

Can students save the programs that they have created, outside the world? If so, where these programs are stored?

Are there separate storage folders for the students?

Can I transfer these programs to the original world of HourOfCode?

Greetings from Germany.

Niklas

#2 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hello, I'll try to help you as best you can. I don't have much experience with CCEdu's graphical interface, but I do know a lot about regular CC (with the shell prompt). I believe the GUI program can be terminated and the shell used as normal.

Once you're in the shell, you can use the pastebin program to upload the program to pastebin.
>pastebin put [name]
If I was to upload test, I would do
>pastebin put test

It should give you some characters that refer to a file on pastebin. You can then transfer the program to any other computer (or turtle) by using the pastebin program in a different way, to download it.
>pastebin get [pasteID] [name]

If, for example, I wanted to download my statemachine API, I would type
>pastebin get 3qeliUQc statemachine

The files on the turtles are also stored in the (IRL) computer's file system, if you have access to the server files you can find them and easily move them between computers, or even in and out of the minecraft world

Edited by KingofGamesYami, 02 February 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that - CCEdu's regular interface doesn't save scripts on Beginner Turtles, so you can't use the pastebin script to get/put files into it.

Instead, it saves scripts to the player's "script library" - they'll see this library no matter which Beginner Turtle in the world they're using.

If you look in the world save folder, there's a sub-folder there named "computer". If you open the "library" folder inside that, you'll find additional folders, one for each player, containing all their CCEdu scripts. You can copy these where you like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users