Where to gather people for a multiple-people project?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Tobias SN

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNot here

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

I know that this isn't directly related to ComputerCraft, but I can't seem to find any clear answer to this, so I just asked here. Where can I ask people if they want to join the development of a project? I won't reveal what it is yet, unless necessary

#2 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

That'd depend upon the nature of the project. I imagine whatever it is you've got in mind would either be covered by either this thread or one on minecraftforum.net.

There's also IRC, of course, but forum posts get a bit more visibility.

#3 The Higher Realm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:13 AM

Depends what the project is. If it is CC related then a CC server is a great place to meet talented programmers who are almost always willing to join in on a project. If it's not CC related then almost every programming language has a forums page with a big community. For Lua you can check out http://www.lua.org/community.html

Edited by Actiquack322, 18 May 2016 - 05:13 AM.

#4 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

In my experience collaborative projects are not going well, at least to start out. The best thing to do is to just start on the possibly never ending project and see where it goes. You will need to open-source it I'd you want proper input and people might actually help you out eventually. In the work field (where you actually get paid) this is a totally different story, since people need money.

Don't hold back because of my negative story, I'd rather encourage you to collaborate with other people, however keep in mind that you are the project, and cannot expect other people to do as much work as you. Maybe more of a rant then an actual advice, sorry about that.

#5 TNT_Nolan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:36 PM

Make a post on your profile if you want people familiar with computercraft.

#6 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

I'm going to guess that you will want me to finish this: http://www.computerc...through-github/

Hive is a good example of a large collaborative project, like Engineer said, it's slow going at the start. I'm hoping to get back into it once my last Uni assignment is in.

Again as Engineer said, work on the project yourself even if you know you will not be able to do it alone. Tell others about it and invite them to join, set up a GitHub repo if it's appropriate (You can use GitHub for more than just code). Make sure that it's clear how others can contribute.

Edited by Lupus590, 20 May 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#7 Konlab

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • LocationKerbin

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

You can gather people here, too.
For example you got my attention

#8 TheRockettek

• Members
  • 547 posts
  • LocationRem is best girl

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

Or in a dark alleyway

#9 Gorzoid

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:40 PM

I heard China has an over abundance of people, they maybe happy to give a donation.

#10 Tobias SN

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNot here

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

Alright, thanks for all the answers. I'm sorry that I replied so long after, but it pretended that there was no replies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users