structure to disk,disk to structure

2 replies to this topic

#1 etn

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

This is a project I started as soon as command computers were introduced, then scrapped because it was too slow and floppy disk sizes are limited.

I was recently thinking about things when I came apon a realization that It might be possible to speed up the process of scanning blocks significantly (I discovered during testing that due to a vm limitation it is limited to about 230 times faster) by scanning blocks in parallel

so here I present my terrible utility for managing relative coordinates, my program to find a marked area directly behind the command computer, and finally, my programs for scanning a cube of blocks onto a floppy and putting it back in the world

Made for minecraft 1.7.10, may not work in newer versions.

EDIT: Just discovered Bomb Blokes world porter, which does exactly what this does (but better and faster), use that instead of this

rotutil - needed for all three other programs and must be named rotutil: pastebin get z4DppqXh rotutil
markerScan - needed for toDisk, must be named markerScan: pastebin get XZRB4Yxr markerScan
toDisk - save the area marked by redstone torches (or other block set at top of markerScan program) to floppy disk: pastebin get 2jHg5Jtk toDisk
fromDisk - copy area saved on attached floppy disk into the minecraft world behind the command computer: pastebin get VrJ23iUn fromDisk

It is impossible in 1.7.10 to save the nbt data as far as I can tell, so this will create empty inventories
Doors and torches tend to pop off when running fromDisk
My implementation only works correctly when the computer that runs fromDisk has the same orientation as the computer that ran toDisk, but makes no check to ensure this.
This program is likely to run out of disk space for even modest areas, either limit the size of your area or change the floppy disk space in your minecraft config to fix this. I can't do anything about this.

Todo:
port to later minecraft versions if necessary
check orientation in fromDisk, or make it work with different orientations correctly
save nbt in 1.8 and above
compress metadata slightly more (if 1.8 still uses metadata)

Edited by etn, 11 July 2016 - 05:19 AM.

#2 etn

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:46 AM

I just noticed the pastebins didn't auto hyperlink, I tried to make them links, but I can't seem to edit my topic properly
Edit: hey, I can edit now!

Edited by etn, 11 July 2016 - 05:20 AM.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:01 AM

Sorted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users