Progdor - An even easier way to bundle a folder into one file

20 replies to this topic

#1 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

After looking at Depman by CloudNinja, I figured "Hey, I've never tried this before." Why not give it a go?
Programmed over the course of about an hour, I give you...

PROGDOR

Burninating the competition since 2006

pastebin get YXx5jjMV progdor
std ld progdor progdor

Use progdor on a folder, and it will turn it into a file (defaultly by the same name)
Use progdor on that same file, and it will turn back into a folder (also defaultly by that same name)

Compression using CCA is enabled by default, but can be disabled by changing the 'doCompress' to false.

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 05 August 2016 - 06:43 AM.

#2 Lewisk3

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostEldidiStroyrr, on 30 July 2016 - 12:45 AM, said:

There is no compression, because that is hard. Forget about encryption. It does support empty folders, though, so that's something.

there is a simple solution for compressing, replace all spaces with byte(0) its a little smaller than byte(32) :)
Lol, i have started learning Assembly and stuff and now i realize what Lignum said. As 0 is still interpreted as an ASCII (8bit char) by computercraft.

Edited by Lewisk3, 23 September 2016 - 01:00 AM.

#3 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostLewisk3, on 30 July 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

there is a simple solution for compressing, replace all spaces with byte(0) its a little smaller than byte(32) :)

No it's not, a byte takes up 1 byte no matter what value it bears.

#4 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

I don't see compression as completely necessary, but if I find an easy compression API, I'll be sure to try to implement it. As long as it's lossless. Like, doesn't remove whitespace or something.

#5 minizbot2012

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPalm Bay, Florida

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

Why not take a look at the functions from CCA? (LZW compression w/ clear code) you'd simply copy the first 127 lines, then call compress (string to compress) which returns a table of bytes. Call decompress(table of bytes) to decompress.

(Also shameless self advertising)

Edited by minizbot2012, 30 July 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#6 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:46 PM

I tried CCA, failed, gave up, then realized what I might've done wrong just now.
You may see CCA in the next update. I'll have to include some metadata in packages, however. I can work that out.

This also assumes that CCA has a good enough compression ratio to bother with.

#7 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

An update!

I have added CCA compression to PROGDOR! Due to the changes, if you packaged a folder with a previous version, you'll need to add a line reading "false" to the top of the file, so that PROGDOR knows it's not compressed.

By the way, compression is toggled with a local variable called 'doCompress'. If true, it compresses. Regardless, if a package is compressed and doCompress = false, it will still decompress because it is cool like that.

EDIT:
Apparently textutils.serialize() would turn certain special characters into an escape sequence, so I quickly added a function to fix that when writing files.

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 31 July 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#8 randomdude999

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationStar System Sol, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

Encryption isn't that hard too, there are like 3 AES APIs out there. A good one is by SquidDev (Topic).

#9 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

The problem isn't whether or not I could do it. It just doesn't seem that useful.

Another thing, is that Progdor doesn't like huge amounts of files. I don't know where to put that yield() function to prevent it from crashing, or worse, shutting down and outputting an empty file.

#10 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:04 AM

An update!

I found the problem as to why progdor crashes after compressing large amounts of files. After compressing, it would filter out any escape sequences that would crop up with a function called 'fixstr'. Turns out, that function was horribly inefficient. After looking up cryptic stuff with string.gsub(), I fixed that.

...and I added verbose output. With colors!

Still, if you put in a file that's way too big to compress, it'll crash. Thankfully, it won't delete anything.

Edited by EldidiStroyrr, 15 August 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#11 Luca_S

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:57 AM

You could make it even better if you would make it only 1 string per file also you might want to look into modifying the serialization to not include the newlines and spaces.

#12 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:57 AM

View PostLuca_S, on 19 August 2016 - 06:57 AM, said:

You could make it even better if you would make it only 1 string per file also you might want to look into modifying the serialization to not include the newlines and spaces.

That's not possible, I don't think. Compressing a file adds newlines, and removing them might mess with it. Newlines are characters, too!

#13 Luca_S

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

I know, but what i mean is this:

You store it like this currently:
{
["filename"] = {
"Line1",
"Line2"
}
}
Why don't you store it like this:
{
["filename"] = "Line1\nLine2"
}
You can just do
f = fs.open(file,"r")
files[file] = f.readAll()
f.close()

#14 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

FWIW, texutils.unserialise() can deal with strings such as "\"first line\\nsecond line\"" for you. Unfortunately I can't seem to get textutils.serialise() to create such strings - at least, not through Mimic.

(Remember, those functions can deal with objects other than tables!)

Though I'm not sure I see the need to avoid new line characters - I'm sure lots of different characters appear in the compression stream.

Edit:

Come to think of it, textutils.urlEncode() is probably what I was thinking of.

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 20 August 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#15 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

You know, I just realized I could just use [[ and ]] for multiline strings. Why didn't I use them before...? I wonder if it'd mess with programs with multiline strings inside them.

#16 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

You could examine the text looking for the maximum block quote level and then surround it with block quotes one level greater.

#17 Gorzoid

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

If you used a binary file instead of a serialized table you could shorten it down alot more. For example, f.write(filename.."\0"..toBytes(file)..file) where toBytes returns a 4 byte string representing the filesize.

#18 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 20 August 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

You could examine the text looking for the maximum block quote level and then surround it with block quotes one level greater.
That sounds complicated, and I'm a lazy bastard. I had a function that goes through the file to replace all instances of "\***" with string.char(***), and for big files, that takes far too long. I since replaced the code with a clever string.gsub(), but I'm supposing that code to analyze quote level will take too long for my purposes.

View PostGorzoid, on 20 August 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

If you used a binary file instead of a serialized table you could shorten it down alot more. For example, f.write(filename.."\0"..toBytes(file)..file) where toBytes returns a 4 byte string representing the filesize.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I'm not so sure that I could turn compressed files into binaries. And I don't think it preserves comments.

View PostLuca_S, on 20 August 2016 - 07:21 AM, said:

I know, but what i mean is this:

You store it like this currently:
{
["filename"] = {
"Line1",
"Line2"
}
}
Why don't you store it like this:
{
["filename"] = "Line1\nLine2"
}
You can just do
f = fs.open(file,"r")
files[file] = f.readAll()
f.close()

That IS a good idea. HMM...

#19 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

Uhh,

local max = 0
for match in string.gmatch(fileContents, "%](=*)%]" do
  max = math.max(max, #match)
end

local quotedContents = "["..string.rep("=", max + 1).."["..fileContents.."]"..string.rep("=", max + 1).."]"

Yeah, that's waaay too complicated.

#20 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 20 August 2016 - 07:28 PM, said:

Uhh,

local max = 0
for match in string.gmatch(fileContents, "%](=*)%]" do
  max = math.max(max, #match)
end

local quotedContents = "["..string.rep("=", max + 1).."["..fileContents.."]"..string.rep("=", max + 1).."]"

Yeah, that's waaay too complicated.

...lazy bastard I am. Also, um, I've never touched the string.gmatch function, and didn't know you could do "for match", so pooh pooh on me. Personally, I think the whole string.gsub/gmatch patterns are complicated, and I never could remember them.

Lesson for today is to look at every Lua function ever. Anyway, I tried to replace all instances of "\n" with "\\n" so it could fit on one line, but...it didn't work. Looking in one of the files, I saw an instance of "\\n", when I expected "\n"...and I haven't the slightest idea why.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users