[1.78]CC 'bricking' directories

11 replies to this topic

#1 lifewcody

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Locationstill looking....

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

For some reason my 'test' directory keeps getting 'bricked'. I can't write there or make folders. I have to delete it and make a new folder with a different name. On my disk I had a folder called "5" for the dick # and it got 'bricked' and I deleted it and make it again and that exact same folder was 'bricked' again. I looked at permissions but it doesn't look like it is an issue.

Edited by codywtworld, 13 August 2016 - 05:59 AM.

#2 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:05 AM

related? http://www.computerc...bug-189-cc-178/

#3 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Related? http://www.computerc...non-bukkitmcpc/

#4 lifewcody

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

Lupus590, on 06 August 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

This isn't related to my issue

Bomb Bloke, on 06 August 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

That's kinda jerk thing tbh

#5 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Then let me put it more clearly: you need to provide more info.

Adding the version number is a good start, but some examples of the specific methods you used to "write" to your problem folders (and the specific output you got when you tried) would go a long way towards explaining your issue.

#6 ebernerd

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

I used to have an issue like this. The problem arose when I used the "mv" command, and used the same name, but different casing. So, for instance

mkdir HelloWorld
mv HelloWorld helloworld

That would cause an infinite loop of HelloWorld directories that I couldn't delete.

#7 lifewcody

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:55 AM

CompuTech, on 14 August 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

I used to have an issue like this. The problem arose when I used the "mv" command, and used the same name, but different casing. So, for instance

mkdir HelloWorld
mv HelloWorld helloworld

That would cause an infinite loop of HelloWorld directories that I couldn't delete.

Yea that happened to me too before, I couldn't even delete it off of Windows ;(

#8 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Perhaps it's related to the fact that Windows is case-insensitive.

Unlike Unix-like OSs, Windows' GUI is case-insensitive, i.e. it treats a and A as the same. In explorer, if you rename something but only change the case then it ignores you. Using the Windows command line (CMD) forces the change (Powershell and Git Bash both work too, I haven't tested the Bash on Ubuntu on Windows with this).

Interestingly, explorer is the issue here, the NTFS (Windows' file system) is case-sensitive along with some other parts of Windows. Explorer can be made to be case-sensitive but I've read that this can cause issues with some programs which are expecting the old behaviour.

Edited by Lupus590, 18 August 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#9 Luca_S

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

The Problem here is the case-insensitivity as Lupus already pointed out.
If you do
mv Hello Hello
mv notices what you do and spits out an error, however if you do
mv Hello hello
you essential move a directory in itself, which will make it recursive. You can also do the following:
mkdir Hello
cd Hello
edit File
--Put stuff in the file
cd ..
cd hello
ls
--At this point you will see that File is listed
rm File
--This now throws an error.
I am not sure if it works under Windows because NTFS is in case sensitive but under Unix Hello/File and hello/File are two different things.

#10 lifewcody

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:50 AM

Lupus590, on 18 August 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

Perhaps it's related to the fact that Windows is case-insensitive.

Unlike Unix-like OSs, Windows' GUI is case-insensitive, i.e. it treats a and A as the same. In explorer, if you rename something but only change the case then it ignores you. Using the Windows command line (CMD) forces the change (Powershell and Git Bash both work too, I haven't tested the Bash on Ubuntu on Windows with this).

Interestingly, explorer is the issue here, the NTFS (Windows' file system) is case-sensitive along with some other parts of Windows. Explorer can be made to be case-sensitive but I've read that this can cause issues with some programs which are expecting the old behaviour.

Luca_S, on 18 August 2016 - 06:48 PM, said:

The Problem here is the case-insensitivity as Lupus already pointed out.
If you do
mv Hello Hello
mv notices what you do and spits out an error, however if you do
mv Hello hello
you essential move a directory in itself, which will make it recursive. You can also do the following:
mkdir Hello
cd Hello
edit File
--Put stuff in the file
cd ..
cd hello
ls
--At this point you will see that File is listed
rm File
--This now throws an error.
I am not sure if it works under Windows because NTFS is in case sensitive but under Unix Hello/File and hello/File are two different things.

The issue isn't moving directoried like mv Hello hello

I have done that before by accident but the issue I am having is randomly a directory will get 'bricked' on ComputerCraft I am unable to write files, but I can make the file on my PC (if I go to the saves, computer, etc). If I delete the folder (because I thought it was a permission issue) and let CC re-create it, the issue still persists. I have to use a completely different computer becaue then it generates a different ID with a different folder

#11 Wilobate

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

You didn't somehow manage to put the folder in /rom/ did you?

#12 lifewcody

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Wilobate, on 16 April 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

You didn't somehow manage to put the folder in /rom/ did you?

Nope

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users