Controlling the turtle, while seeing what the turtle sees

8 replies to this topic

#1 OutrideGaming

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Hello everyone!

I've been extremely interesting in the possibilities that ComputerCraft adds, and we are currently running a Feed the Beast server. There's a lot of things, but I've come to love the turtles & pocket computers.

I found someone's old luda code to wirelessly control the turtles, and I've got a relatively good idea on how it all works, and have a good grasp of Lua.

But my question is, can there be a program that shows the user what the turtle sees? Essentially, can I get my computer out, place the turtle, and move around like I was the turtle? Or see what the turtle sees on my screen?

Any ideas how this could even be done? I just need somewhere to start.

Thank you!

#2 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

Turtles are blind, they can 'feel' their way around the world, but anything further away than one block is unknown to the turtle.

#3 Twijn

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:55 PM

With some complicated coding, it may be somewhat possible to do that, but I imagine it would be extremely finicky just to how turtles were designed.

If you use the GPS API to set up the GPS computers and putting a wireless pocket computer in your inventory, you could potentially detect when a player moves blocks and move the turtle accordingly. However, this would again not be extremely good just because of the speed of the turtles, and it'd take a lot of tests that the turtle would have to perform to identify what it actually has to do to make the turtle move with the player (for example, the way in which it is facing)

The "remote control" they used most likely just allowed the turtle do move up, move down, turn right, turn left, move forward, etc etc.

#4 OutrideGaming

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, I had a feeling it wouldn't be much for a reality. As Lupus590 said, they're blind. Very interesting way to view it.

Thank you!

#5 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:49 PM

The OP wants to see from the turtle's perspective, not have the turtle follow them.

#6 Twijn

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:39 PM

Yes, but standing on top of that turtle whilst moving (or below) could provide a feeling of getting the turtles perspective, however it again would be kind of odd since the speed of the turtle. It almost sounds like an interesting idea (yet useless) that I may try out.

#7 OutrideGaming

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Glad I helped :P

#8 Exerro

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

They may be blind, but they also have a really good memory. There's nothing stopping you from caching the world, maybe even backing it up to some server, and then rendering the scanned world in realtime. Sure, you could place a block and it wouldn't know, but the world generally doesn't change that much. I'll be doing some turtle things pretty soon that will completely rely on keeping a scanned copy of the world for things like pathfinding, and it's totally possible.

The main issue with this, and the reason I haven't done it already, is the terrible resolution of CC screens, which would make anything more than a few blocks away be a blurry mess. Large monitors would be the best solution, I'd say.

#9 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:12 AM

View PostOutrideGaming, on 16 November 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Essentially, can I get my computer out, place the turtle, and move around like I was the turtle?

ComputerCraftEdu turtles allow you to do this - you don't even need to write a script for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users