The Future of ComputerCraft

2 replies to this topic

#1 vico

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Location-

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:32 AM

Sorry if this was already posted here. I didnt find anything on New Content menu...

Directly extracted from DanTwoHundred tweets:

Ok, as I haven't mentioned this yet on Twitter, it's time to announce something: today is my last day as a self-employed Indie Developer.

On Monday I'll be rejoining Frontier Developments as a Senior Programmer, working on unannounced secret stuff. I'm pretty excited about it.

It's been a great 3 years being Indie: I've worked on projects I'm really proud of, and learned tons of skills I never would have otherwise.

Here's how this news affects my current projects: Firstly, Redirection is getting an Android and iOS port. Release date TBA, but soon.

Second: I'll be continuing work on my next big project in my spare time. It doesn't have a name yet, but "CraftOS 2.0" is the working title.

I consider this project to be the natural successor to ComputerCraft. It'll be freeing to work on it w/out worrying abt it paying the bills.

(Shoutout to Frontier for giving their blessing to continue work on these projects! This kind of thing isn't a given in AAA gamedev)

As for ComputerCraft itself: it's no secret that I haven't had time to work on it in a while. So my plan is to open source the mod soon.

It's been 5 and a half years since I wrote the first line of CC code, and while it's been life changing, it's time to put down the pickaxe.

I'll be posting a more thorough blog post on my website soon with more details on all of this, but for now I'm happy to answer any Q's.

And finally: Thanks to everyone for sticking with me as I've transitioned from game dev to mod developer and back again. It's been a ride!

Source.

#2 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Also, to quote from the reddit thread:

• Sadly, I can't do anything with ComputerCraftEdu: it always belonged to TeacherGaming, and when Microsoft purchased MinecraftEdu from them last year, they got it in the deal. Maybe they'll follow my lead and open source that too!
  • I'll still be reviewing and accepting pull requests and making releases from the "official" repository. I haven't decided yet whether the license I choose will permit others to release competing forks.
  • I've been pretty happy with the core feature set in ComputerCraft for a while now, so i'm mostly thinking of this release in terms of version updates and bug fixes. There are plenty of things I'd design differently if I was building CC from scratch, but i'm channelling those ideas into COS2 ;)

By the sounds of it, Dan is planning to still make releases, even if he no longer works directly on the mod. He'll also be allowing pull requests, which hopefully means some of the smaller modifications CCTweaks makes will get in. I guess we'll have to wait until Dan makes a more formal announcement of his plans.

Edited by SquidDev, 23 March 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#3 vico

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Location-

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:16 AM

I hope dan will release CC code under a permissive license, i would love to see (or even try) to make a port with JavaScript replacing that creepy LUA for scripting xD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users