Lightspeed Alpha v1.0

game

18 replies to this topic

#1 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hello everyone! Today I present to you: Lightspeed v1.0!

I've been working in this for quite some time now. It has:
- A world to explore
- Ships to fight with
- Enemies to fight against (three different tiers. Getting higher further away from spawn)
- Shops to upgrade ship
- (Mechanics for unlocking new ships)

I'd like to get some feedback! :D

Download:
pastebin run JjFsqCMD
(Big thanks to EldidiStroyrr for making an installer!)
http://www.mediafire..._Alpha_v1.0.zip

I made a video on it as well:
https://youtu.be/NLR0EUqrnAc

Edited by Xelostar, 11 June 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#2 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

I love it! I tried making FTL in CC but never finished. I will try the game as soon as I can, but I like what I saw in the video.

#3 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 19 May 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

I love it! I tried making FTL in CC but never finished. I will try the game as soon as I can, but I like what I saw in the video.

Thanks! It hase like 5-10 minutes of play time right now. I'll tweak the drops of the enemies, add a boss, more systems (drones, but I will do them in my own way. So not like in FTL). Have fun testing! :D

#4 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

After playing it a bit, I think you definitely need better instructions. It's fairly easy to guess based on my FTL experience what things are, but you should explain the representations of things (w labels the weapons, c labels the control, etc.)

One part of the one of the enemy ships flickers when I play against it on a large monitor.

I also managed to get stuck in the shop screen by accidentally breaking and replacing a monitor block, then touching the screen.

#5 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 19 May 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

After playing it a bit, I think you definitely need better instructions. It's fairly easy to guess based on my FTL experience what things are, but you should explain the representations of things (w labels the weapons, c labels the control, etc.)

One part of the one of the enemy ships flickers when I play against it on a large monitor.

I also managed to get stuck in the shop screen by accidentally breaking and replacing a monitor block, then touching the screen.

I know about the labeling. Do you want me to create an in-game tutorial?

On the monitor, what part flickers? The rooms, characters in the rooms, is there a line going through it or is it something else?

About the breaking of the monitor, I don't think I can do anything about that :P

PS: Embedding videos in the forum doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Any ideas why it won't work?

#6 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

In game, or on the forum post really.

The part where "miss" is displayed flickers. I have pictures but they are refusing to upload (using imgur).

You can detect terminal resizing events and redraw the screen to fit.

Embedding is super easy, just change the https to http.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLR0EUqrnAc[/spoiler]

Spoiler

Edited by KingofGamesYami, 20 May 2017 - 01:30 AM.

#7 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 19 May 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

In game, or on the forum post really.

The part where "miss" is displayed flickers. I have pictures but they are refusing to upload (using imgur).

You can detect terminal resizing events and redraw the screen to fit.

Embedding is super easy, just change the https to http.

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLR0EUqrnAc[/spoiler]

Spoiler

I'll probably make a tutorial on this page.
I may have an idea why "miss" is flickering, but I don't have time to look into it right now.
Redrawing the screen seems quite a lot of work. You're just not supposed to expand the monitor size/make it smaller.
Embedding now works. The problem was that I copied the URL, while I should have used the share link.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, though!

#8 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationJulfander Squad Studio

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

Will look at the source code to learn something for my game engine. Thanks a lot for the game! :)

#9 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

View PostJummit, on 02 June 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

Will look at the source code to learn something for my game engine. Thanks a lot for the game! :)

Have fun!
I hope you'll learn something. I haven't put any comments in however. I am however pretty proud of my use of functions. Good luck figureing out what everything is! :D

#10 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationJulfander Squad Studio

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

Ok… :D

#11 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

View PostJummit, on 03 June 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

Ok… :D
Nice! Now I know it's not all in vain! At least someones programming skill with lua will improve. :D

#12 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hey, this looks great...! Can you make a simple installer, though? I want to put it on STD-GUI!

#13 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostEldidiStroyrr, on 08 June 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Hey, this looks great...! Can you make a simple installer, though? I want to put it on STD-GUI!

Thanks for the compliment! I'd like to make an installer, but there are more images than I can put online on pastebin with one free account. I'm not planning on making different accounts just for this game or paying for the full version. A friend of mine is making his own site on which I'll be able to but my files with API on pastebin to acces it. I'm just waiting for him to finish.

PS: What's STD-GUI? Can I get a link? I'm very curious! :)

Edited by Xelostar, 09 June 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#14 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostXelostar, on 09 June 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Thanks for the compliment! I'd like to make an installer, but there are more images than I can put online on pastebin with one free account. I'm not planning on making different accounts just for this game or paying for the full version. A friend of mine is making his own site on which I'll be able to but my files with API on pastebin to acces it. I'm just waiting for him to finish.

PS: What's STD-GUI? Can I get a link? I'm very curious! :)

STD-GUI is my GUI half of STD, which is definitely short for Super Text Downloader. It's like an appstore, but it more just is a fancy way of downloading from URLs. I have an app list for it, but it's designed so that other lists can be used.

If you can't upload every single picture individually, then I could make an installer with my package maker, Progdor, to compress all of it into a single file.

Alternatively, you could make an installer that downloads from GitHub, if you put Lightspeed Alpha on there.

#15 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostEldidiStroyrr, on 09 June 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

View PostXelostar, on 09 June 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Thanks for the compliment! I'd like to make an installer, but there are more images than I can put online on pastebin with one free account. I'm not planning on making different accounts just for this game or paying for the full version. A friend of mine is making his own site on which I'll be able to but my files with API on pastebin to acces it. I'm just waiting for him to finish. PS: What's STD-GUI? Can I get a link? I'm very curious! :)/>
STD-GUI is my GUI half of STD, which is definitely short for Super Text Downloader. It's like an appstore, but it more just is a fancy way of downloading from URLs. I have an app list for it, but it's designed so that other lists can be used. If you can't upload every single picture individually, then I could make an installer with my package maker, Progdor, to compress all of it into a single file. Alternatively, you could make an installer that downloads from GitHub, if you put Lightspeed Alpha on there.

I have no idea how to work this out, I'm sorry. I give you permission to upload it on github as long as you credit me, because I don't know how your STD works and how I need to upload my files on github.

Happy programming!

#16 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:21 AM

I've made a pastebin installer using my archiver, Progdor. However, it seems that running Lightspeed Alpha outside of the root directory ("/") makes it crash.
The error is:
Lightspeed:1285: Expected image, x, y

That sounds like a paintutils error. Could you maybe have it search for all its necessary files in its current directory?

Here's an installer command:
pastebin run JjFsqCMD

#17 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

Thank you for creating an installer. I'll put it in the topic above with credits to you if you're okay with it.
As for the error, I've got no clue why it's not working. I'm using:
paintutils.loadImage("pShip.img")
To load the image. However this doesn't seem to work if the program isn't in the root folder, even though I didn't put a "/" in front. I may be able to use
shell.dir()
To make sure it's loading the files in the right path.

EDIT/UPDATE:

It doesn't seem to work. I still get the same error. Do you have any suggestions?

EDIT/UPDATE2:

I made a mistake. It's working now. I only needed to update the main file:
http://www.mediafire...d_MAIN_FILE.zip
:-)

Edited by Xelostar, 11 June 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#18 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

View PostXelostar, on 11 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

Thank you for creating an installer. I'll put it in the topic above with credits to you if you're okay with it.

I'm perfectly okay with you using the installer. I just updated it with the new version.

#19 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostEldidiStroyrr, on 11 June 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

View PostXelostar, on 11 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'm perfectly okay with you using the installer. I just updated it with the new version.

Thanks a lot! You're amazing! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Google