Convert computer craft into a plugin

2 replies to this topic

#1 Acfuffy

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

Hi there!

Now, I'm not too sure if this is at all possible but I have seen some cool plugins using lua (consoles) and I believe that it would be widely used and bring back the idea of computer craft. I recall at the age of 13 being excited to hop onto minecraft daily to see my computer shops on tekkit servers, desperate to program more. Unfortunately, the new wave of mine crafters is no longer seemingly interested in mods, and prefers servers which do everything for them. This could be done using the older versions of computer craft (simpler) as they run without colours and such and have a very similar window to that of the achievements. If this is able to happen, I am sure I (and many other server owners) would be more than happy to donate to the developer doing it.

Thanks!

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 08 November 2017 - 11:57 PM.
No short links, thanks.

#2 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

Whilst it is amazing what people can do with plugins (and Consoles is a testament to that), it's never going to come close to the power of an "actual" mod. Where ComputerCraft has the ability to add custom blocks, GUIs and more, Console is stuck using maps to render the terminal. It would be possible to put together a ComputerCraft-like plugin, but it's going to feel clunky.

Personally, I feel the modded community is large enough that one doesn't really need to worry about the sustainability of the mod just yet. I'm fully expecting the landscape to change again once modding comes to the Bedrock edition - distribution should be built into the game so hopefully we'll see a burst of new players interested in that sort of functionality assuming the API supports what CC needs.

#3 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

View PostSquidDev, on 08 November 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

assuming the API supports what CC needs.

That actually feels like a big ask, considering the age of the "modding API" promise. The idea that a worthwhile framework is ever going to surface just doesn't gel with me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users