Jump to content




Computer Headset?


9 replies to this topic

#1 OrangeC7

  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:10 AM

I know this has been suggested before, but the last reply to that topic was in 2015 (which is like, a BILLION years ago), so I figured that it might be a better idea to make a new thread instead of replying to an old one. The link to the other thread is here if you're interested:
So, my idea for this is that the headset will have:
- Features
Spoiler
- Usefulness in-game
Spoiler
- Attainability
Spoiler

So, I think that's it. Those were all my ideas for a computer headset, and I hope this gets considered as something to be added!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
**Optional, not needed for the full craft.
***To allow sound to come out of the headset, you'll need to put the optional jukebox in the crafting recipe. The implant doesn't need it, because it connects directly to the auditory part of the player's brain,
*kill me.

#2 SquidDev

    Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

  • Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:15 AM

The implementation is a little different, but Plethora's neural interface (https://squiddev-cc....ub.io/plethora/) allows you to do most of that.

There's no text <-> speach functionality, but you can impelement player stats, heads up displays and inventory manipulation through the various modules.

#3 EveryOS

  • Members
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBOO!!

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

If speech were built into the actually game, a given user could disguise spyware as a CC program.

#4 Purple

  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

 EveryOS, on 05 February 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

If speech were built into the actually game, a given user could disguise spyware as a CC program.
Is that really a concern though? I mean, even assuming that you don't use some external voice chat to talk to people on the server you are playing on (thus they can hear you anyway) it would be spyware that only works as long as you are running minecraft. And it would only tell the spy what ever it is you are speaking into your PC while the two of you are connected to the same minecraft server.

That's the spyware equivalent of being able to see what someone sitting in the same room as you is reading. Not exactly a security risk.

#5 EveryOS

  • Members
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBOO!!

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

 Purple, on 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

it would only tell the spy what ever it is you are speaking into your PC while the two of you are connected to the same minecraft server.

What about HTTP? Then it could be converted to mp3 and posted to U O==O

I don't want to have to disable HTTP every time I use this.

Edited by EveryOS, 09 February 2018 - 02:55 PM.


#6 Purple

  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

 EveryOS, on 09 February 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

 Purple, on 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

it would only tell the spy what ever it is you are speaking into your PC while the two of you are connected to the same minecraft server.

What about HTTP? Then it could be converted to mp3 and posted to U O==O

I don't want to have to disable HTTP every time I use this.
I see what you mean. Yes, being able to post HTTP requests to a random site recording your voice might be a theoretical safety concern. But still, it hinges on you knowingly installing a program that uses this API and yet not doing even a cursory check through the code. How likely is that?

#7 osmarks

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

 Purple, on 10 February 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

 EveryOS, on 09 February 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

 Purple, on 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

it would only tell the spy what ever it is you are speaking into your PC while the two of you are connected to the same minecraft server.

What about HTTP? Then it could be converted to mp3 and posted to U O==O

I don't want to have to disable HTTP every time I use this.
I see what you mean. Yes, being able to post HTTP requests to a random site recording your voice might be a theoretical safety concern. But still, it hinges on you knowingly installing a program that uses this API and yet not doing even a cursory check through the code. How likely is that?

You won't know whether it uses the API or not without looking carefully through it.

#8 Purple

  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

 osmarks, on 22 February 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

 Purple, on 10 February 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

 EveryOS, on 09 February 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

 Purple, on 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

it would only tell the spy what ever it is you are speaking into your PC while the two of you are connected to the same minecraft server.

What about HTTP? Then it could be converted to mp3 and posted to U O==O

I don't want to have to disable HTTP every time I use this.
I see what you mean. Yes, being able to post HTTP requests to a random site recording your voice might be a theoretical safety concern. But still, it hinges on you knowingly installing a program that uses this API and yet not doing even a cursory check through the code. How likely is that?

You won't know whether it uses the API or not without looking carefully through it.
And you don't carefully look through every single piece of code you download from this forum?
Like, maybe it's just me being a programmer and thus having an obsessive need to reverse engineer everything to the point where I go through all your code, write my own comments before using it. But I figured you guys would, given the nature of this forum and its focus be similarly inclined.

#9 EveryOS

  • Members
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBOO!!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

 Purple, on 25 February 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

 osmarks, on 22 February 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

 Purple, on 10 February 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

 EveryOS, on 09 February 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

 Purple, on 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

it would only tell the spy what ever it is you are speaking into your PC while the two of you are connected to the same minecraft server.

What about HTTP? Then it could be converted to mp3 and posted to U O==O

I don't want to have to disable HTTP every time I use this.
I see what you mean. Yes, being able to post HTTP requests to a random site recording your voice might be a theoretical safety concern. But still, it hinges on you knowingly installing a program that uses this API and yet not doing even a cursory check through the code. How likely is that?

You won't know whether it uses the API or not without looking carefully through it.
And you don't carefully look through every single piece of code you download from this forum?
Like, maybe it's just me being a programmer and thus having an obsessive need to reverse engineer everything to the point where I go through all your code, write my own comments before using it. But I figured you guys would, given the nature of this forum and its focus be similarly inclined.
No, I din't know I was supposed too...

#10 Purple

  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

 EveryOS, on 26 February 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

No, I din't know I was supposed too...
Well you're not "supposed to". I do it for fun. And I figured since this forum was basically about a mod that lets people play programmer you all would have the same sort of inclination and find reverse engineering code to be like at least the 3rd most fun thing a guy can do in life.

I figured wrong, I guess. These things happen. My bad.

Edited by Purple, 02 March 2018 - 12:23 PM.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users