28 replies to this topic

#21 Taiine

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

output redstone on cycle true
wait for full saplings false
and 5x5.
and use your logger programs to start them up from with in my base.

As for what went boom, it's one of my redstone engines. I heard the boom and thought one of my other machines had blown but they were all fine. After checking everything I went to the top of my cave where my farms located to find one of my four redstone engines had blown, with two others flickering from orange to red and the other red and about to blow as well. All due to the turtles not stopping their redstone signal when the turtles are empty and thus over working my engines.

if I tell it not to send out a redstone signel, then it never does when it stopsd and will sit there full of logs and not trigger the engines.

Heres a test set up I put together to try and sort out the issue. This is how it ius in my world, just minus the more proper spacing, sapling collection and pips going to my main storage.

http://i.imgur.com/7GN8M.png

and a close up.
http://i.imgur.com/qJN0S.png

Once the turtles have finished gathering wood and return, they land and with output redstone on cycle on, they will trigger the engines that thus pull out just the logs. But the output redstone does not stop once empty. If I have output set to no, then it sits there and does nothging.

So wasn't the output to stop when everything but the first two slots were full?

http://i.imgur.com/gwcLi.png
waiting a while.. bottomleft is set to not output redstone.. it returned and did nothinbg, still full of logs. the rest are now empty of logs but the output is still going.

http://i.imgur.com/h3EtH.png
and we are in the red!

Sat around for a while longer and..
http://i.imgur.com/LHYqq.png
Boom.

#22 slay_mithos

• New Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Strange, a redstone engine is supposed to never blow up as long as it is attached to a wooden pipe...
I have some that suck on empty chests all day, and never exploded.
There might be something it didn't like with your pipes, but that sound more like a bug of BC than a turtle problem to me.

#23 Taiine

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

Still.. the turtle is to stop outputting redstone once all but the first two are empty.. but it clearly is not.

#24 slay_mithos

• New Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

Well, in your case, maybe, but some might want to use that redstone for other purposes too (reloading, running an other computer, lighting a lamp, anything goes).

#25 Taiine

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

So you're saying you changed it from the orignal code to not turn it off when empty?
Can't you add that back in as an option?
I did have mine in my base aqttached to lamps that would power on to tell me when each turtle was 'unloading'. but that of corse also wont turn off.

Bah trying to semi automate this with out the need of waiting for saplings just became harder >.<

#26 slay_mithos

• New Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Err, I didn't change any of the original code apart from the cutting mechanism,and it's not in the pastebin.

What I am saying is that there are other ways than that to unload the turtle that are closer from what you need.

One example would be to disable the redstone signal and use buildcraft redstone gates or even autarchic ones to empty your turtles.

That said, I personaly prefer not to let the program run by itself, and I automated it an other way that keeps the first 3 slots (sapplings, dirt and wood), as well as the 16th that I use for fuel.

you could also try out the mod that adds a way to recharge the fuel level via IC2 energy, as the have to wait a long time anyway.

Ok, now I will try this out with fir wood, might be fun^^

#27 RayceFarelle

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostAnonomit, on 27 September 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostXanafrim, on 27 September 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

I JUST started trying out Computer Craft and I found this program. I have installed it and it was working fine but then I fixed the ground a bit where it dropped a level. After I did this I hit "r" and he went on another round. However, ever since then he only takes 2 logs per tree and leaves the rest for me to clean up. I did not alter any of the code so I am no sure what might have happened.

Possibly it is connected to lag as that is an issue for me. I run a single core processor right now, no hyperthreading, 2 GB ram. That's the max this laptop can hold. However, I also am the admin of a paid server that runs tekkit and that is the only place I play. The server does have 1 GB of ram. I am running the current Tekkit pack.

Thanks for any help on this.

That's strange. Is it possible that you accidentally moved the turtle to a different starting location? The turtle should harvest up a tree until the block above him is not wood. If he stops harvesting early, maybe there is lag, which could be making him check the block too soon. It's a theory. Could you try it out on single player and let me know if there's still a problem?

Hi there,

I also face a similar problem. Before I install any programs on a server, I always run a preliminary testing on singleplayer, personal server and then post it up the public server. However, during the singleplayer testing, I encountered the same problem. Essentially, the wireless mining turtle would only collect 2 logs, 1 in its flight path and the other being the roots where the sapling is located. It will then plant a sapling where the root of the tree used to be and then continue down its flight path, ignoring the rest of the tree above it. No codes has been changed and all instructions on installing it has been followed to the word. Also, the turtle is initially placed on a wide flat land and was not moved from its initial starting point. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated as we look forward to have this program on the public server.

Best regards.

#28 Anonomit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hmmm, this must have to do with the turtle using the compare() function to tell if it has reached the top of a tree.Check if any items have made their way into slot 3. I think it uses that one to compare. I'm almost finished from-scratch, clean and updated one that should be a lot less error-prone. Remember to check back soon, I'll post it once I'm done the settings.

#29 Anonomit

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I finished the new program! Hopefully this one will turn out far less messy and error-prone.
Here it is: http://bit.ly/Q6zqCt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users