-play music in game
-really great for multi player (this would be hard to do though :D/>
3)speakers
-have external speakers that could be placed in room
-use red stone to connect or other idea
-wireless upgrade
-3D surround

note
i looked for this suggestion but couldn't find it if its already there post a link here and i will delete this.

#2 zeekkay

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

All of this would put a heavy burden on SMP servers. I don't think Minecraft supports surround sound. If that's true then the 3D surround would be impossible.

#3 Jasonfran

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

3D surround isn't impossible

#4 waffles05

• New Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationThe Overworld

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Minecraft does support surround sound

#5 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Well, the problem with audio is multiplayer. Minecraft is not allowed to download from the server. The client would have to have the sounds installed. Check out my post: Sound (different). I'm on my phone so I can't link, do a search.

#6 NeverCast

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

I don't see why the client cannot download from the server, that is what the plugin/mod packet is for,
That said, it's a lot of bandwidth. but very possible indeed.

#7 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostNeverCast, on 04 November 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

I don't see why the client cannot download from the server, that is what the plugin/mod packet is for,
That said, it's a lot of bandwidth. but very possible indeed.

The client has never been able to download from the server. Most likely for security reasons. (Downloading Trojan.exe from virusserver.com:25565 :D/>)

#8 Jasonfran

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

There are rumors that Mojang are working on a system that downloads files from the server similar to how Valves Source engine games works like Garrys mod, counter strike and tf2

#9 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Well the thing is that, it will be possible to just play normal minecraft sound and music(since it is already installed on the client). However, if it is custom audio from the server, that is a different story. First off, it will use a lot of bandwidth and causes more CPU usage and also be a security risk. Dan and Cloudy do not want to add anything if it causes a security risk.

#10 Jasonfran

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

You just limit what files can be downloaded. Just limit it to a .mp3 file or something.

#11 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostJasonfran, on 07 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

You just limit what files can be downloaded. Just limit it to a .mp3 file or something.
It still costs bandwidth and CPU usages. You can also just rename a file to "virus.mp3" and the game will try to run it and it will install a virus.

#12 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostHuman, on 07 November 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostJasonfran, on 07 November 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

You can also just rename a file to "virus.mp3" and the game will try to run it and it will install a virus.
are you #$%&ing kidding, you cant put a virus in an mp3 file
* PixelToast slaps Human

#13 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Well...it depends on how the player works. But it certainly isn't easy even when you have a player that has an identifiable vulnerability.

#14 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostChunLing, on 07 November 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Well...it depends on how the player works. But it certainly isn't easy even when you have a player that has an identifiable vulnerability.
so your suggesting its possible for a mp3 to raw plugin to allow code injection? thats not how it works!

#15 Jasonfran

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Source engine games download hundreds of MP3 files from servers. Not one has been a virus

#16 chiloxsan

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationVictoria, AUS

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Maybe if we could beep, specifying the frequency and the duration, like in QBASIC.

#17 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationThat place over there. Y'know. The one where I am.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

AUDIO AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Look in the 'suggestions NOT to make' thread (it's pinned).

#18 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

It's always possible for there to be a vulnerability that allows something that should be treated as data to instead run as code. It actually used to be quite common, but is far less so nowadays.

Nowadays, an mp3 player that would ever allow data to be executed is probably malware specifically designed to permit this. Malware video players are rather more common than audio players, but both exist.

"Better" malware support is probably not on the list of things CC is going to introduce anytime soon, though.

#19 Cruor

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostShnupbups100, on 08 November 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

AUDIO AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Look in the 'suggestions NOT to make' thread (it's pinned).
Stop stealing my job :P/> but be reasonable, how can this topic look at a pinned topic that is made 3 days after it?

#20 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationThat place over there. Y'know. The one where I am.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostCruor, on 08 November 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Stop stealing my job :P/> but be reasonable, how can this topic look at a pinned topic that is made 3 days after it?
I'm not stealing it! I'm borrowing it! I'll give it back next week, I promise!

On topic: I don't normally look at dates, so I overlooked that. They can still change the topic title so it says '[Denied] Audio' or something like that though. Or someone else could have pointed it out when that post was made (yes, that is your job. We wouldn't steal it if you did it).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users