High IQ Reproductive Turtles. Matrix nightmare.

31 replies to this topic

#1 marcelo8576

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

One disk. A user programs one disk and sets it into a turtle. The disk contains the instructions for the turtle to go mine, refuel itself (with a starting value of 50,000 which is more than enough for a turtle), create furnaces, create machines to support energy demand and keep growing, crafting new turtles and inserting the root disk in them, making more miners and consequently more builders, maybe even adding a random selection of A.I.s . Complete simulation of a living entity. This is the next frontier for the turtle developers. It's gonna be the next big brother for ComputerCraft servers. People are gonna watch machines grow and take over, building structures. Sounds like a fun trip. I've already seen programs capable of lots and lots of features, but I think if the developers of these programs got together, it's a possibility that soon we will see iron houses and migrating groups of turtles. Maybe, if this happens, the mod developers might even add this to world generation, who knows? Is this a crazy enough idea? Think it's ever going to happen? Are you willing to help on the A.I.?

#2 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

No one will write code for you. This forum is for help on code that you have written.

#3 marcelo8576

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostDlcruz129, on 22 December 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

No one will write code for you. This forum is for help on code that you have written.
Settle down.
I didn't ask to write it for me, did I? I asked if such idea is actually possible. I also wanted to throw the idea of an advanced turtle out there. What happens next is up to the developer. Don't think I want to take any of the credit.

#4 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

View Postmarcelo8576, on 22 December 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Settle down.
I didn't ask to write it for me, did I? I asked if such idea is actually possible. I also wanted to throw the idea of an advanced turtle out there. What happens next is up to the developer. Don't think I want to take any of the credit.
He's correct though, this is the wrong place to post this type of topic. It should be in general. I've already reported it so it can be moved.

#5 Orwell

Self-Destructive

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Whah? He opened a very interesting subject and really didn't ask for anything at all. And there are many, many exceptions on that rule. I bet that this place is suited for discussion about the technical part of CC as well. I'm starting to notice how little u usually contribute to conversations.

On topic. This is quite a popular subject lately. There was even a competition on something like this: http://www.computerc...462-competition
And a similar question: http://www.computerc...-turtles-theory
I must tell you, it's a though challenge. There are so many factors involved in this, it's hard to get a grasp of it. And I think that in order to finish this project in a feasible amount of time, you'd have to start on a lot of theory first.

And on the subject of moving this, I think it's slightly better to have this in General, but I don't think it's a big deal (look at a lot of previous posts like the skynet one). But Dlcruz definitely missed the point, he wasn't asking for any code.

#6 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

It can be done, it has been done, it...well, it tends to not end up being as cool as it sounds.

Technically, feasible. Except for the part where the turtles evolve into "something more", they just become a crapload of turtles, with some kind of inventory/gps array at the center.

#7 marcelo8576

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

View PostChunLing, on 22 December 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

It can be done, it has been done, it...well, it tends to not end up being as cool as it sounds.

Technically, feasible. Except for the part where the turtles evolve into "something more", they just become a crapload of turtles, with some kind of inventory/gps array at the center.

I think it's at least a very difficult challenge. If it has already been done, mind sharing the topic?

#8 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

I think that people tend not to post their final codes for projects of this nature. There are probably two reasons for this. First, it isn't generally useful. That is to say, a fully autonomous turtle farm tends to just wreck an area for most other purposes, by nature it doesn't give enough control to the user over the outcome. Second, it's actually rather destructive. I think that most people who finish coding/testing something of this nature decide that it not only wouldn't have a lot of value to anybody, but would kinda be a bad thing to post.

It is clearly possible, but I flirted with the idea after I had run dry of ways to make my turtles actually more useful and then decided it wasn't a very good idea pretty quickly. So I'm biased into thinking that most people that think about it long enough to have it substantially coded also end up thinking it a bad idea.

I know someone made an automated turtle factory that did 64 turtles and then decided that was already too many and didn't go further. Some pretty cool screenshots, but I had to agree with the "too many" assessment.

#9 rhyleymaster

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Ive already made one. Its more of a Virtual Intel. though. Not AI.

#10 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Here is a video of something that is close

#11 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

A horrifying vision, but more an illustration of the final result than a demonstration of a "seed" program.

#12 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I thought about turtles attacking players before, sadly turtles are mined up too quickly for that xD

#13 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

You got to surprise the player, and catch them in a boat or cart.

#14 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationThat dark shadow under your bed...

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

the surprise tactic is actually fairly easy to pull off. you just mine underground and dig out what they are standing on, then if you can do it fast enough you can place a lava bucket in there. my bases all have gaps in the walls and floors between each room for circuitry, hidden sensors, tunnels, traps etc so I can have turtles roaming under my base but I doubt I would implement it. the hidden machines would get in the way

#15 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Well, you don't try to catch them inside your base. But yes, if you're going to attack a player then bombing, lava buckets, and attacking from underneath all make a good deal more sense than using the attack function. Unless you catch them in a boat...though I don't know how well that works in current versions. Needs testing :lol:

#16 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

making a tunneling program is quite easy really. you can make vast underground networks.... tempting

#17 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostChunLing, on 26 December 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

You got to surprise the player, and catch them in a boat or cart.

cause they can't use a pick in there? :P and well surprise is quite useless against nanosuited people

#18 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

No, it's because of how damage to a boat or cart gets transferred to a player (or used to). And of course being in a cart restricts seeing/breaking things below you.

Of course, if you're talking about killing nanosuited players, then probably nothing is much use.

#19 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

you can kill them. you need balkon's weapon mod and an insane trap. it still takes a while to kill them but it works. you put them in a 1x2 block of reinforced stone filled with lava, close the top block over their heads (which for some reason invariably causes them to break that block rather than the sides), you have at least 20 dispensors all firing cannon balls at this cell as they can do damage through a single layer of reinforced stone and eventually weakening him. I have not tested the final thing that will make it work. when in lava or water you dig slow and it is already hard to break reinforced stone so it will take him a long time to break his way out... you could try making a pillar of stone and a piston system pushing it down to replace the broken blocks

anyway I just noticed that I am rambling on about one of my old projects again which is not related to turtle assassins at all. in fact you might as well just envelop him in a zapping forcefield and wait for him to eventually die...

quick question. can a turtle be broken while moving? if not envelop him in a cell of turtles which keep moving down with mining turtles beneath them to mine out a path

#20 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

It's one of the key ways to stop a runaway turtle (the other's being terminate/shutdown key commands).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users