Advanced Mining Turtle - Ore Quarry

turtle

582 replies to this topic

#41 Doyle3694

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

9MJ/t is the limit. 4MJ/t is what you get from 4 stirling engines. With some math 4 is less than 9/2

#42 AustinKK

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Hey Doyle3694,

I think you may have misunderstood my point. Yes you are right that 4 Stirling Engines doesn't power the Quarry at full speed, and I got it wrong. I intend to add a new video to YouTube to correct my error.

However, it's not correct that the Quarry powered at 9MJ/t is more than twice as fas as the Quarry powered at 4 MJ/t. Also, the limit is no longer 9MJ/t.

The more power you give the Quarry the faster it goes, but the increase is not linear. Here are some examples based on the map that I used in the video:

4 MJ/t = 1:03:26 (as per the video)
10 MJ/t = 43:38 (this is only 31% faster despite being 2.5 times as much energy)

The point I was making in my previous post is that this isn't even the limit anymore. For instance, if you place a Redstone Energy Cell next to the Quarry, and max it's output (125MJ/t), then the Quarry completes in 39:31.

The more power you give it the faster it goes, but the returns are diminished as the energy levels increase.

#43 Doyle3694

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

http://minecraftbuil...com/wiki/Quarry

And yes, I was wrong saying its double speed. Though, I really thought that it was just a straight curve up. I see your point on it not being 100% higher speed but only 30% higher speed.
Guess you should just add a annotation or something in the video to clearify the incorrect time.

Anyways, it's a really clever design.

#44 AustinKK

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks.

I'm going to create a new video this week and update the old one.

Running from a Redstone Energy Cell the Quarry mines out in 39:31. I've spent ages optimising the program and I've managed to get it down to about a minute quicker than that (which is about a third quicker than it was in the video).

It's not going to be faster in all cases (for instance if there is loads of air blocks, then the Quarry will always be faster because it just skips from one block to another whereas the turtle needs to work its way through them) but given the fuel requirements hopefully it still has a use.

#45 Crozekiel

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Say you left the turtle running, and then you left the area and forgot to plonk down a world anchor... Is there a way to get them to continue where they left off? or do i need to take them back to the start and tell them to go again?

#46 simwah

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Is there anyway we could get the turtle to continue mining on startup (server crash, etc) or atleast return home. I keep loosing my turtles and have to go find them.

#47 Kane Hart

Donator

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Postsimwah, on 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Is there anyway we could get the turtle to continue mining on startup (server crash, etc) or atleast return home. I keep loosing my turtles and have to go find them.

Also having this issue. Accept I never find them again haha.

#48 DrCeph

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

View Postsimwah, on 02 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Having it return home would be a good compromise, I suppose something like storing the start point in a file and moving there on boot would be a simple way to do this. This is especially important given that the levels created are only one block high and hence can't fit the player. Also, most people would use a miner like this early on when they are low on resources so those 3 lost diamond hurts.

#49 simwah

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Its especially hard when your running 64x64 mines.

#50 Doyle3694

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Atleast if you are using gps it shouldn't be to much code to add a save position feature, try adding that feature yourself. It shouldn't be to many lines of code really

#51 AustinKK

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I haven't added this yet. I've been working on performance improvements but I know this is an issue. It's something that I'm going to look into.

#52 Kadura

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I am quite new to ComputerCraft, and am having difficulty figuring out how to view the output the program seems to be sending out via the rednet system. Is there a companion program that will run on a computer/turtle near the mining turtles that will display that output?

#53 DiamondDave

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostKadura, on 03 January 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

I am quite new to ComputerCraft, and am having difficulty figuring out how to view the output the program seems to be sending out via the rednet system. Is there a companion program that will run on a computer/turtle near the mining turtles that will display that output?
Here's some code I pieced together from various threads to do this. I don't claim any of this as original. Sorry, I don't recall the author's off hand. I have this code saved as rednetLogger. The command runs at start up on a turtle at y level 250. It grabs the time from the web (stolen bit, I really should find the author's name) and timestamps incoming messages. Maybe someone knows of a better way to pull real world time? The message and time are written to the file, rednetlog. I use less in a bash shell outside of minecraft to watch this file during long mining runs. Much easier on the eyes. Notepad++ on windows is good for watching log file changes. too. I quickly learned this program running at ground level loses contact with the mining turtle somewhere down around mining level 11. The 64 block limit for a wireless rednet computer sitting on the ground in my case. The logger needs to be up high or it will miss messages. Also, it's easy to flood the logger with too many messages. Probably, because of the web time pull. So, in my mining code I have a sleep(0.2) before and after the rednet.broadcast to keep missed messages down. Skews the time a bit but close enough.
Spoiler

#54 Kadura

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

DiamondDave,

Out of curiosity, have you tried the above program with the OreQuarry program this topic is about? I am not going to be able to put anything up high since I am working on an ore world that the surface is deadly. I need to stay underground to keep from bursting into flames.

Also, will this be making it to pastebin?

#55 DiamondDave

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks, for sharing the code AustinKK!

I made a few changes to satisfy my OCD. The turtles popping up out of the ground is cool and all and they gave me a great idea for a turtle defense system where turtles appear out of the ground on command. But, I like using the mine shaft. So, I changed the logic a bit to only dig up to the previous mining layer and then return to main mining shaft before heading up. Fewer blocks to dig through and one shaft. Also, I really want to make sure I get those hidden diamonds. I changed the bottomLayer logic to spin the turtle all the way around to detect hidden ores. Put glass in the inventory along with the other noise blocks if you run this on the OreQuarry world save or it will break some below layer 5. These changes didn't add much to the overall run-time of QreQuarry v 0.3. Around 52mins on a fresh OreQuarry world save and I got that diamond hidden in the bedrock. :)

This is not an official AustinKK release. Just some changes for the OCD miner. Here is the diff from the original .3 version and my copy. Feel free to use my changes or not...

Spoiler
Spoiler

#56 DiamondDave

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostKadura, on 03 January 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

DiamondDave,

Out of curiosity, have you tried the above program with the OreQuarry program this topic is about? I am not going to be able to put anything up high since I am working on an ore world that the surface is deadly. I need to stay underground to keep from bursting into flames.

Also, will this be making it to pastebin?
Interesting. Yes, I've used this on the OreQuarry world save to time my mining runs. Not sure how high the logger would have to be in your situation. Just keep in mind the distance of wireless rednet is a factor. The last parameter, p3, printed in the message is the distance the message traveled. Useful for troubleshooting missed messages. Like when messages stop showing up after 63.467 meters you know you went out of range at 64. You may have to play with it to make sure you get coverage all the way down to bedrock. Go as high as you can and see what you get. I haven't made a pastebin account yet. Maybe I will. I'll investigate it more tomorrow.

#57 Zagi

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Awesome program! I used this to make a giant hole for my house :).

PS: You have greaaat taste in music, DAFT PUNK!

#58 Deor

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

AustinKK, I've been using this program for a little while now and love it, actually prefer it over a quarry these days even if its a tad slower. Look forward to future versions! Would like to see the ability to resume, or add a startup maybe so that the turtle will return to the start position if the chunk gets unloaded for some reason.

DiamondDave, going to try out your version as i too would prefer a single mineshaft. This would also make recovering lost turtles easier as you can just go down the one shaft to the level the turtle was mining when it stopped.Hope Austin will consider including these changes :)

#59 AustinKK

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationLeeds, UK

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi guys,

The latest version is about a third faster. I'm hoping to release it this weekend. It's finished, I just need to record a video to go with it.

DiamondDave, the reason for the turtle coming out of the ground was so that it could be guaranteed not to lose any ores (the block above is safe to dig through), however I have changed this is the latest version to make it more efficient (so your OCD will be satisfied as it comes back up the mineshaft).

Kadura, to print out the messages, it pretty simple. Here's some code to do it (assuming that the computer has a wireless modem on its right hand side).

Spoiler

It's on pastebin at http://pastebin.com/5kz10pjP

I'm sure DiamondDave's one works equally well too

#60 Cozzimoto

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationDallas, Tx

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

sweet cant wait to see it in action compared to your other methods

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users