BustedOS V 1.1.0 [Looking for bug finders!] [Color]

computer lua utility

42 replies to this topic

#21 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostCastleMan2000, on 03 January 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Suggestion: access to shell/terminal, or otherwise a folder for activating ROM programs. I want to use pastebin, but when I go to rom/programs/http I right click and it says "You can't change the rom!" I don't want to, I just want to use arguments! How about removing file-related options while right clicking something rom related?

As well, the time doesn't update until you do something to prompt the draw cycle. Since I don't see the bar up there flickering, I assume you can keep everything else while only re-printing the time.

The ROM thing is something I am aware of and already fixed I in my dev build. I think it's important enough to release it has a minor version along with other bug fixes. Will update within an hour or so

And I am definitely aware of the time updater. I'm trying to get it so that os.startTimer will trigger the timer event in my os.pullEvent but right now I am having troubles with it. Right now I am developing the start menu which is my main priority.

#22 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

New update 1.4.1 with bug fixes. Actually almost knocked out all of them!

Edit
Release 1.4.2 to fix annoying scroll redraw system.

#23 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Updated to 1.0 (No longer beta!)

New Features:

1:) New Start Menu

2:) File Search

3:) OS Customization

Many other bug fixes!

In this update, I chose to work on some needed features, such as a file search, and OS customization. I released this update because I felt it broke the border line between a file explorer and an OS.

Expect default OS programs next!

#24 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Updated to 1.0.1 (Bug fix)

Bug Fixes:

1:)Fixed the search selection feature so that it runs the correct program you click on

Small Features:

1:) Allows you to open directories in the search menu

I'd like to set up a mini challenge to see how many bugs someone can find. Credits to the active bug finder will be in the description (Requires user to upload the OS crash log to pastebin or explain what's not working properly)

#25 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

the rainbow color scheme hurts ;_;

#26 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostPixelToast, on 10 January 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

the rainbow color scheme hurts ;_;

Haha. Do you have a suggestion for the new tab colors? I just picked random ones,

#27 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

These claims in the titles of OS posts are getting a little annoying. What makes this the "top OS"? And why is it the "top OS" by far?

#28 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 10 January 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

These claims in the titles of OS posts are getting a little annoying. What makes this the "top OS"? And why is it the "top OS" by far?

Hehe that was meant as a competitive joke... I'll remove it.

#29 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostBustedEarLobes, on 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

View PostLyqyd, on 10 January 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

Hehe that was meant as a competitive joke... I'll remove it.

Thanks. I'd just much rather see the title space being used to talk about features or aspects of the OS, rather than unprovable superlatives (first! best! most!). A little self-advertisement is perfectly fine, as long as you have something to substantiate your claims. :)

#30 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationThat place over there. Y'know. The one where I am.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Bugs and stuff I would like changed:
  • You can 'Arg Run' folders, resulting in No Such Program.
  • If you click 'New' accidentally, you cannot cancel. I suggest changing 'Yes' and 'No' to 'File', 'Folder' and 'Cancel'.
  • If you name the installer something else it will not delete. I suggest using shell.getRunningProgram() in the installer and saving it to a global variable, then deleting using fs.delete(variable) and then nullifying the variable again.
  • You can run 'startup' (the OS itself) from within BustedOS, resulting in recursion.
  • You can see hidden files and folders (ones that have a . in front).
  • You can terminate the OS (Although you need to do it twice).
Feature requests:
  • Changing the colours of the folders in the Start Menu settings.
  • Including a calculator program.
  • Showing some programs on the Start Menu.
  • Changing whether it runs on startup or not in Start Menu settings.
I hope you will fix/like these things!

EDIT: Added more stuffs.
EDIT 2: One more thing.

#31 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostShnupbups100, on 10 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Bugs and stuff I would like changed:
  • You can 'Arg Run' folders, resulting in No Such Program.
  • If you click 'New' accidentally, you cannot cancel. I suggest changing 'Yes' and 'No' to 'File', 'Folder' and 'Cancel'.
  • If you name the installer something else it will not delete. I suggest using shell.getRunningProgram() in the installer and saving it to a global variable, then deleting using fs.delete(variable) and then nullifying the variable again.
  • You can run 'startup' (the OS itself) from within BustedOS, resulting in recursion.
  • You can see hidden files and folders (ones that have a . in front).
  • You can terminate the OS (Although you need to do it twice).
Feature requests:
  • Changing the colours of the folders in the Start Menu settings.
  • Including a calculator program.
  • Showing some programs on the Start Menu.
  • Changing whether it runs on startup or not in Start Menu settings.
I hope you will fix/like these things!

EDIT: Added more stuffs.
EDIT 2: One more thing.

Thank you very much! I needed another mindset to find bugs that I couldn't. I'll make a goal to fix all except the last three as I don't feel they are bugs (Except possibly the 3 one up). For your bug testing, you will be credited on the post.

As for the features, I literally thought of all of them already, but I took a small break from coding it for a fresh mind. Expect a calculator and running OS programs from start menu along with a run command. Changing the colors of the folders should be easy, but it will take time which I'm spending on getting other stuff worked on, so it will not be coming within the next update.

Once again thank you for exploring it and giving me the feedback!

#32 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Updated to 1.0.2 (bug fixes)

Bugs Fixed

1:) You can run arguments on directories

2:) Clicking new comes up with a much better interface

3:) The installer deletes itself regardless of it's name

Thanks to Shnupbups100 for finding the bugs! He is now currently the top bug finder. Anyone who wishes to beat him must create a post of more than 3 bugs found.

#33 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

You sir, are very much welcome and congratulations on making an OS that I wont exit all the time to CraftOS to do stuff the other OS can't.

You deserve a year's supply of sammiches. :D

Oh yes and seeing the hidden folders and the startup file causes you to be able to delete the OS, so they ARE rather big issues.
Recursion (running startup within startup etc.) can cause lag, another reason to hide 'startup'.
And being able to terminate an OS is never a good thing, plus is fixed with one line. If people want to exit to CraftOS, they should have either chosen not to run on startup or use a floppy with a startup file.

Update on nPaintPro: NitrogenFingers has said he approves all inclusions in OSes and stuff as long as you link to the OS in the forum topic:

nitrogenfingers, on 30 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Re. Missing 3D paint, I'm afraid I can't upload it any earlier than the 7th (on leave).
Also had a surprising number of people request this inclusion in OS's, servers etc. To all such requests you are welcome to, but I'd ask you share or post your creation here, or email me; I'd love to see how you used it :)

Also, I will work on BrokenEditor, a version of edit designed for this OS. I will start work soon and post it here as soon as it's ready.

3 more bugs:
  • Making a file with the same name as another with result in that program going into edit mode. (not sure if bug or...)
  • Sometimes right clicking on anywhere but files and folders becomes disabled. (Unsure how to reproduce)
  • You need to click or do something in order for the clock to update.
One last thing, could you give me permission to port this to regular computers? You can work with me, I'll put it on GitHub once I figure out how to work the damn thing. It will be a big project, but I think with your help, I can do it! I think I've figured out how I'll work the controls...

Phew! Lots of typing!

#34 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

View PostShnupbups100, on 11 January 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

You sir, are very much welcome and congratulations on making an OS that I wont exit all the time to CraftOS to do stuff the other OS can't.

You deserve a year's supply of sammiches. :D

Oh yes and seeing the hidden folders and the startup file causes you to be able to delete the OS, so they ARE rather big issues.
Recursion (running startup within startup etc.) can cause lag, another reason to hide 'startup'.
And being able to terminate an OS is never a good thing, plus is fixed with one line. If people want to exit to CraftOS, they should have either chosen not to run on startup or use a floppy with a startup file.

Update on nPaintPro: NitrogenFingers has said he approves all inclusions in OSes and stuff as long as you link to the OS in the forum topic:

nitrogenfingers, on 30 December 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Re. Missing 3D paint, I'm afraid I can't upload it any earlier than the 7th (on leave).
Also had a surprising number of people request this inclusion in OS's, servers etc. To all such requests you are welcome to, but I'd ask you share or post your creation here, or email me; I'd love to see how you used it :)

Also, I will work on BrokenEditor, a version of edit designed for this OS. I will start work soon and post it here as soon as it's ready.

3 more bugs:
  • Making a file with the same name as another with result in that program going into edit mode. (not sure if bug or...)
  • Sometimes right clicking on anywhere but files and folders becomes disabled. (Unsure how to reproduce)
  • You need to click or do something in order for the clock to update.
One last thing, could you give me permission to port this to regular computers? You can work with me, I'll put it on GitHub once I figure out how to work the damn thing. It will be a big project, but I think with your help, I can do it! I think I've figured out how I'll work the controls...

Sweet, I'll be more than happy to help you understand the code and include your program in the OS. I have lots of useful functions you can use for it as well.

As for nPaintPro, I was aware of that post, but I was working on other things. More than likely I will include it in the OS.

Important OS file protection will come soon, but I just had a few problems show up and I can't quite figure it out yet. The only reason I would add an anti-termination feature is if I add a login system. The reason for that, is that I built this OS after my experiences with other OS's and knew that termination protection lacks a user's feeling of control. By that I mean the user controls EXACTLY what he wants to do with his computer, and if he wants to terminate, why not? Finally, preventing running the OS from within itself should be a quick and easy fix.

The new bugs that you found are very minor and may/may not be fixed within the next update

#35 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Awesome. Here's what I've been thinking for controls for the regular computer edition:
SPACE = Start
ENTER = Left Click
SHIFT = Right Click
LEFT/RIGHT ARROW KEYS = Cycle Tabs and Start Tabs
UP/DOWN ARROW KEYS = Cycle Files and Folders, Start Options and Right Click Menu
That's all I've got so far. These are just concept controls, and if you want me to change anything that would be fine. Also, we would have to work on removing all colour and replacing it with black and white only. (Remember White can still be a bg colour and black can be text) And, if we use the if term.isColour() then statement a lot then we could even incorporate both versions into the one package!

Oh and also, can I be a co-dev for the colour version? I'd be more than happy to help! Plus, I have quite a bit of experience in lua. Some things not so much, but I am pretty powerful at others.

#36 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Just so you know, I've started work on BustedOS Black & White.

#37 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Very well. I well be happy to add a black and white version in the installer. I will also welcome you to be the Co-Dev, however, don't expect a lot of work at all. I hope you don't mind but I'd rather we work on our projects separately, give feedback to each-other, and help if someone has a bug. This is because I feel it is better that we spend our time on one thing, and don't have to worry about learning/relearning the other's project.

#38 BustedEarLobes

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Update 1.1.0

Features:

- NPaintPro

New Bugs :(

- Argument program running errors

#39 jordan5001

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

I was wondering, how would i setup my computers so that they could all see the same website by being connected someway. And i was wondering if you could add a multiple users with password feature.

#40 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Moved to OS section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users