170 replies to this topic

#1 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Lightshot Screen Recorder

Version 1.5

Hey all, got a bit bored this afternoon, so I gave Lightshot a GUI, and it now runs the startup file instead of the shell (if it exists).

Lightshot is a screen recording program that allows you to capture a video of your screen, and store it in a single file. It includes a limitless frame rate, built-in updater, and the ability to record .nfa animations into runnable movie files.

Once you run the program, it runs the shell - allowing you to run programs, edit files, and do anything you want, while it records everything you do :)

Change Log
- Added a pause feature! :D Just press F3 to pause, then F3 again to unpause
- Removed the run startup feature, it was a bit annoying (if you want to run startup, just run it :P)
- New system to save recordings to files
- UI improvements to make actions of buttons more clear
- Return to Lightshot after a recording, instead of back to shell

To update, just hit the Update Lightshot button from within the program, or just redownload it from Pastebin.

Spoiler

Features
- Beautiful, interactive GUI
- Record a video of your screen over an unlimited amount of time
- Turn your NPaintPro .nfa animations into movies!
- Save your video into a single file
- Play your video by simply running the file
- Limitless frame rate
- Built-in updater
- Run and record programs
- Control-T and termination handling
- File compression
- It should work on Tekkit (I haven't tested it)

Screenshots
Main Menu:
Posted Image

Choosing a Location to Save the Recording:
Spoiler

While recording:
Spoiler

Known Bugs
The very first implementation of this had many bugs. I think I squashed them all, but I'm not entirely sure.
Please post any bugs you find in the comments below, or in the GitHub bugs list!

Download
Lightshot can be downloaded from Pastebin or Hastebin, using the Pastebin ID: g0nVKvgr or the Hastebin ID: nasasarafo.lua
Or type into your computer:
pastebin get g0nVKvgr lightshot

Credits
- 1lann for his compression system (a major feature)
- 1lann for his original concept of this. He first came up with the method used in this to capture the screen, but never released his code as it was too buggy :P
- nitrogenfingers for his fantastic NPaintPro program

#2 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

I love this idea! This might be really helpful to those on ComputerCraft University.

#3 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostCranium, on 12 January 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

I love this idea! This might be really helpful to those on ComputerCraft University.

Thanks! Exactly as I was thinking!

The only problem is that long recordings can have a really big file size... Any ideas on how I could reduce it?

#4 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hey, you're the creator. I would have no idea.
From the brief glance I had of the code, I assume you enter new information for each event on the terminal?
Would you be able to serialize those into a table, and then save that serialized table? It might save some whitespace.

#5 InputUsername

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Cool creation! Though it's not completely original, it is the best implementation I've seen. I used it to record 'worm' and it worked like a charm, almost lagless! Really cool!

#6 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostInputUsername, on 12 January 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

Cool creation! Though it's not completely original, it is the best implementation I've seen. I used it to record 'worm' and it worked like a charm, almost lagless! Really cool!

Thanks! I thought it was pretty good for about 2 of hours work. After completing it I did find one other screen recorder, but it used a frame rate and took a snapshot of the screen at specified intervals - not how this works at all :P

#7 anonimo182

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationIn the universe

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Haven't tried i, but it seems good! Might find it usefull

#8 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Just updateded to 1.0.1 to fix a few minor bugs detailed in the OP. (bugs that were silly of me to miss :P)

To update, just run
lightshot update

#9 pielover88888

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationIn a library that's in a village, huddling my advanced computer as zombies bang on the door.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

This will be incredibly useful for getting tutorials out there, lol! :D

#10 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

View Postpielover88888, on 12 January 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

This will be incredibly useful for getting tutorials out there, lol! :D

Hey yeah! I never thought about that!

I could write a tutorial set with this.... (or someone else could. I suck at teaching :P)

Meh. I'm going to try this!

#11 pielover88888

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationIn a library that's in a village, huddling my advanced computer as zombies bang on the door.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Cool, :D

EDIT: another idea, cctube/youtube (god knows it exists already, but this one would just run through an nPaint animation and record it, and somehow display it on a "page")..

#12 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

My god yes... This would be epic...

I could add a convert to movie function, where you just supply your .nfa animation, frame rate, and it would display it as a movie!

Thanks so much for the ideas. I actually want to work on this animation creator now instead of the tutorial. I'll leave that up to someone else.

#13 remiX

• Members
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostGravityScore, on 12 January 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

The only problem is that long recordings can have a really big file size... Any ideas on how I could reduce it?

View PostGravityScore, on 12 January 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

How about separating the code every 1000 lines or so. I started it and 5 seconds later the file had 3000 lines XD I did, of course, run a program while it was on :P

Pretty cool, btw

#14 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostremiX, on 12 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

How about separating the code every 1000 lines or so. I started it and 5 seconds later the file had 3000 lines XD I did, of course, run a program while it was on :P

Pretty cool, btw

What do you mean by separating it? Like, into different files? Or just add some new lines?
Into different files is a bit hard if you want to view an entire video.

One way I was thinking was to only record a new background and text color if they were different to the previously recorded background/text color. This should (hopefully) significantly reduce the file size. After looking through much of the code it generates, I think it should help.

#15 remiX

• Members
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostGravityScore, on 12 January 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

View PostremiX, on 12 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

How about separating the code every 1000 lines or so. I started it and 5 seconds later the file had 3000 lines XD I did, of course, run a program while it was on :P/>

Pretty cool, btw

What do you mean by separating it? Like, into different files? Or just add some new lines?
Into different files is a bit hard if you want to view an entire video.

One way I was thinking was to only record a new background and text color if they were different to the previously recorded background/text color. This should (hopefully) significantly reduce the file size. After looking through much of the code it generates, I think it should help.

Yeah it would be hard, but like it creates a folder and within that folder all the files can be saved there (yeah, i meant into different files).

Then when loading the video, combine all the files into one?

#16 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Just released version 1.1! :D

It can now record your NPaintPro animations (the .nfa files), and turn them into movies! It also has new measures in place to lower the recorded movie's file size, and you can also add the argument --skip at the end of any command to skip the countdown into the recording.

#17 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

This is a really cool idea! :)

#18 1lann

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Kssk, you should probably tell people that you press F1 to end the recording

#19 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

View Post1lann, on 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Kssk, you should probably tell people that you press F1 to end the recording
That would be quite handy... I was wondering how you did that... :P

#20 Shnupbups

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • LocationThat place over there. Y'know. The one where I am.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

This is truly freaking AMAZING! Now to make a YouTube where we can upload these and people can upload lets plays of adventure and mineception! Lol, but that would be absolutely amazing. This... this is awesome!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users