←  Operating Systems

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

[Open Source] PearOS (Preview 2) - OS X In...

oeed's Photo oeed 11 Mar 2013

I am no longer working on PearOS, I have also been told that the installer isn't working on 1.6 Check out my new OS and download PearOS from the App Store if you want to check it out.

PearOS is now open source!
I've decided to make this project open source. I've been rather busy lately and have lost interest. Essentially you may use the code as you wish. Create your own Windows style OS, create your own apps, whatever you want. You are also welcome to share your code. However, if you do share it you MUST credit Pear OS and either PM me your project or post here (simply because I want to see what you make with it).

PearOS is now on GitHub! Check it out here.

Over the past few weeks I have been rather busy, I've managed to fix a good majority of the bugs but I haven't really added many new features, as many people have been asking for the new version I've decided to post a bug fix preview.

In short, PearOS is a graphical 'OS' for ComputerCraft. It completely (will, at this stage there are a few things that need to be added) removes the need to use the console. Why? Most of the people who play FTB with me have no idea how to use the computers and end up just playing 'adventure' on them. So, this is my answer to that problem.

For more information look here and here.

Screenshots
Spoiler

Download

Enter the following in to the shell:

pastebin get LRFsvuN3 PearOS.pkg
(It will take some time [20+ seconds], just be patient.)

Then run 'PearOS.pkg'.

If you're interested, PearOS uses my packaging utility, Package Maker, to squash all of its ~70 files in to one automatically installing file. Rather than spending hours making some pointless web installer or having to use Dropbox, I simply entered a single shell command. Anyway, enough plugging, on with the post.

New Features/Tweaks (If you can call them that )
(Compared to Preview 1)
Spoiler

Bugs Fixed
(Compared to Preview 1)
Spoiler

What's Coming/In the Works
  • Wireless peripherals (similar to AirPlay, you can use remote printers, monitors and disk drives [disk drives are causing me some hassle, however]). This is essentially done, apart from the ability to access files from disk drives.
  • Running non-PearOS programs. This will be released very soon, I know it is vital for the OS. One question, should the programs be their own app/dock icon or should they run within another application. (Mac users, think X11. Not sure of any similar applications)
  • A help mode (hold 'H' at boot). To be honest, I don't think I need to add this. Thoughts?
  • A guide on how to make an application. I could do this tomorrow, however, I want to make sure I'm not going to make any large changes to how applications are made/run first.
  • Fullscreen mode (Suggested by theoriginalbit)
  • Project moving to GitHub
Known Issues
  • Arrow keys (vertical) missing from TextEdit.
  • Scrolling missing from TextEdit.
  • Selection is incorrect in TextEdit due to text wrapping.
Boot Modifiers
Spoiler

Keyboard Shortcuts
Spoiler

I want to help, what can I do?
Spoiler

If you have bugs or suggestions please let me know below and/or post them as an issue on GitHub.

Licence
Posted Image

Now invalid, do as you wish as long as your credit it and PM me/post your creation here.
Spoiler

Edited by oeed, 29 September 2014 - 08:56 AM.

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 11 Mar 2013

This unsubstantiated bragging in OS topic titles is really annoying.

It's just a tag line... but what ever.

But really, this is far more advance that all the other OSes. And in my honest opinion, I think it is the best.

Divide_By_0's Photo Divide_By_0 11 Mar 2013

View PostLyqyd, on 11 March 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

This unsubstantiated bragging in OS topic titles is really annoying.
I agree Fully, mate.

Kingdaro's Photo Kingdaro 11 Mar 2013

Some suggestions right off the bat from looking at screenshots:
  • Text edit could have better word wrapping. I could help you out with that if you want.
  • The "File" and "Edit" should only appear in the top panel when a window is focused or maximized, like in recent versions of Ubuntu.

And now to try this out, because this looks really cool.

View PostKingdaro, on 11 March 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

• Text edit could have better word wrapping. I could help you out with that if you want.
  • The "File" and "Edit" should only appear in the top panel when a window is focused or maximized, like in recent versions of Ubuntu.

With the text wrapping, help would be appreciated. I tried getting it looking better for ages but couldn't get it right so this is just so it won't go over.

With the File and Edit thing, the way I have it is the way it behaves in OS X. What it allows you to do is make a new document when there are not windows open.

Divide_By_0's Photo Divide_By_0 11 Mar 2013

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

With the text wrapping, help would be appreciated. I tried getting it looking better for ages but couldn't get it right so this is just so it won't go over.

With the File and Edit thing, the way I have it is the way it behaves in OS X. What it allows you to do is make a new document when there are not windows open.
Hey, Dude, i think you should change your title, because it isnt fact that your OS is the Best.

In that case, I'll go ahead and grab a snippet of mine somewhere around here if I can find one.

Ah, I see. Great idea.

Also, right off the bat, the first setup screen seems to annoyingly flicker every second, and I really shouldn't be able to resize it, haha.

Posted Image

Should make resizable-ness a property for windows.

Left's Photo Left 11 Mar 2013

NICE!

1lann's Photo 1lann 11 Mar 2013

Why are people criticizing you so much just because of your title and opinion -_-

Your OS, is brilliant, I can tell you spent many many many hours of your time working on this. It works beautifully, though some things that are a bit off that I have noticed:
  • When clicking on a window or dragging on a window over a window, it should have "focus" and be on the top of the window, whereas when I opened a finder window and the about finder window and I tried to drag the about finder windown over the finder window, it didn't go on top of it, instead it went below it
  • When browsing through finder, frequently I get a crash: PearOS.lua:1782:vm error:(Java out of bounds exception)
Apart from that, it's REALLY beautiful and amazing. I would reallyy like writing apps for your OS.

Alright, here's a wrapping function.

local function wrap(text, limit)
	local lines = {''}
	for word, space in text:gmatch('(%S+)(%s*)') do
		local temp = lines[#lines] .. word .. space:gsub('\n','')
		if #temp > limit then
			table.insert(lines, '')
		end
		if space:find('\n') then
			lines[#lines] = lines[#lines] .. word

space = space:gsub('\n', function()
				table.insert(lines, '')
				return ''
			end)
		else
			lines[#lines] = lines[#lines] .. word .. space
		end
	end
	return lines
end

It returns a table of lines, and the limit is the point at which each line should be wrapped. It breaks when a line is longer than it should be, and it also breaks at \n characters.

Left's Photo Left 11 Mar 2013

I think it is great. Has anyone ever made SUCH a good OS within computercraft that has draggable windows and custom applications. I dont think so. oeed must have spent HOURS on this project. Just go through the code. I was waiting for a release SO bad and I love it. Best OS in my opinion

( Now everyone will search for one to prove me wrong. )

FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L)'s Photo FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) 11 Mar 2013

Suggestion: Add a program that shares computers with rednet and allow computers with password so in finder youi can browse them and download files from it

View Postoeed, on 11 March 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

It's just a tag line... but what ever.

But really, this is far more advance that all the other OSes. And in my honest opinion, I think it is the best.

It isn't more advanced than LyqydOS. It may be slightly prettier, but it isn't more advanced. You are welcome to your opinion, of course.

View PostLinearus, on 11 March 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

I think it is great. Has anyone ever made SUCH a good OS within computercraft that has draggable windows and custom applications. I dont think so. oeed must have spent HOURS on this project. Just go through the code. I was waiting for a release SO bad and I love it. Best OS in my opinion

LyqydOS does windowing better. Draggable, minimizable, maximizable, etc. It doesn't come with custom applications, but it's also compatible with all of the regular programs (though I think paint broke itself again, sigh), which pearOS isn't. You can use all of your regular programs in LyqydOS.

Lyqyd, keep in mind this is a preview/alpha, so obviously it isn't going to have every possible feature right out of the box. And in my opinion, it isn't really in the right to jump into someone else's topic and talk about how your OS is better.

To be fair, PearOS does need a console emulator, and that would pretty much complete it. Though I like to think of it as transitioning to another OS in real life - not all programs are going to be compatible with that OS, unless you use something like wine, which even then can backfire on you sometimes.

theoriginalbit's Photo theoriginalbit 11 Mar 2013

The "File" and "Edit" should only appear in the top panel when a window is focused or maximized, like in recent versions of Ubuntu.
Mac OS X with Finder active

View Posturielsalis, on 11 March 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Suggestion: Add a program that shares computers with rednet and allow computers with password so in finder youi can browse them and download files from it
So kinda like AirDrop?

Sammich Lord's Photo Sammich Lord 11 Mar 2013

View PostKingdaro, on 11 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

And in my opinion, it isn't really in the right to jump into someone else's topic and talk about how your OS is better.
First off, if somebody is talking about how they believe this is the best in their opinion why can people not experece their own opinion?
Also:

View PostLinearus, on 11 March 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

le nub's Photo le nub 11 Mar 2013

Great work. dunno if that means much from le nub... Dont mind the negativity.

Lyqyd, keep in mind this is a preview/alpha, so obviously it isn't going to have every possible feature right out of the box. And in my opinion, it isn't really in the right to jump into someone else's topic and talk about how your OS is better.

Yes, you have got a point there. My main opposition to things is the claim that pearOS is the best. I haven't seen any specific evidence that it is, in fact, better than existing software on the forums, so I'm challenging that claim. I would agree that pearOS is, at this point, currently better than a lot of the OSs on the forums, but I disagree that it is the best.

Edit: Also, the claim I'm objecting to has since been removed, FYI.

View PostKingdaro, on 11 March 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Alright, here's a wrapping function.

local function wrap(text, limit)
	local lines = {''}
	for word, space in text:gmatch('(%S+)(%s*)') do
		local temp = lines[#lines] .. word .. space:gsub('\n','')
		if #temp > limit then
			table.insert(lines, '')
		end
		if space:find('\n') then
			lines[#lines] = lines[#lines] .. word

space = space:gsub('\n', function()
				table.insert(lines, '')
				return ''
			end)
		else
			lines[#lines] = lines[#lines] .. word .. space
		end
	end
	return lines
end

It returns a table of lines, and the limit is the point at which each line should be wrapped. It breaks when a line is longer than it should be, and it also breaks at \n characters.
Thanks.

View PostKingdaro, on 11 March 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

In that case, I'll go ahead and grab a snippet of mine somewhere around here if I can find one.

Ah, I see. Great idea.

Also, right off the bat, the first setup screen seems to annoyingly flicker every second, and I really shouldn't be able to resize it, haha.

Posted Image

Should make resizable-ness a property for windows.
Yea, there is a property, I made that before I added resizing and just fogot to add it

View Post1lann, on 11 March 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Why are people criticizing you so much just because of your title and opinion -_-

Your OS, is brilliant, I can tell you spent many many many hours of your time working on this. It works beautifully, though some things that are a bit off that I have noticed:
  • When clicking on a window or dragging on a window over a window, it should have "focus" and be on the top of the window, whereas when I opened a finder window and the about finder window and I tried to drag the about finder windown over the finder window, it didn't go on top of it, instead it went below it
  • When browsing through finder, frequently I get a crash: PearOS.lua:1782:vm error:(Java out of bounds exception)
Apart from that, it's REALLY beautiful and amazing. I would reallyy like writing apps for your OS.
With the focus, I currently have it working with application focus, but not windows. I will definitly get that fixed.
With that crash, what was causing it, opening a folder? File?

View Posturielsalis, on 11 March 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Thats a really good idea, definitely something I will add.

To be fair, PearOS does need a console emulator, and that would pretty much complete it. Though I like to think of it as transitioning to another OS in real life - not all programs are going to be compatible with that OS, unless you use something like wine, which even then can backfire on you sometimes.
I have almost finished the emulator but it wasn't working well enough to be included.

Thanks to everyone for your kind messages and support.