←  Bugs

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

[1.52] Turtles still can't place pisto...

Pharap's Photo Pharap 14 May 2013

Turtles still place pistons the wrong way when placing them upwards.
If a turtle tries to place a piston upwards,it makes the piston face backwards instead of upwards like it should do.

Cloudy's Photo Cloudy 14 May 2013

We never said we fixed it. Pistons placing code is stupid.

Jarle212's Photo Jarle212 14 May 2013

Pharap, on 14 May 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Turtles still place pistons the wrong way when placing them upwards.
If a turtle tries to place a piston upwards,it makes the piston face backwards instead of upwards like it should do.
I think the pistons are placed based on the turtles direction(or viewing direction of placer) not where you place it

Edit: Whould be hard to fix

Pharap's Photo Pharap 14 May 2013

Jarle212, on 14 May 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

I think the pistons are placed based on the turtles direction(or viewing direction of placer) not where you place it

Edit: Whould be hard to fix

Currently, pistons are placed so they always face the back of the turtle.
The ideal behaviour would be for the turtle to be able to choose which direction the piston faces,
but an easier solution that wouldn't require changing the workings of the place functions would be to make it so that pistons face downwards when placed down and upwards when placed up to allow the turtle the capability of placing pistons in all directions.

Cloudy, on 14 May 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

We never said we fixed it. Pistons placing code is stupid.

I was assuming that was what the 1.51 "Fixed turtles sometimes placing blocks with incorrect orientations" fix was.
Is there a more in depth bug-fix log than the computercraft.info main page?

Jarle212's Photo Jarle212 16 May 2013

Pharap, on 14 May 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

The ideal behaviour would be for the turtle to be able to choose which direction the piston faces,
but an easier solution that wouldn't require changing the workings of the place functions would be to make it so that pistons face downwards when placed down and upwards when placed up to allow the turtle the capability of placing pistons in all directions.

As I said pistons are place in the opposite direction of the turtles facing, and it is the same for players. You whould have to implement that function staticly, wich might break the code

Pharap's Photo Pharap 16 May 2013

Jarle212, on 16 May 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

As I said pistons are place in the opposite direction of the turtles facing, and it is the same for players. You whould have to implement that function staticly, wich might break the code

Well assuming that the part of the piston block that declares which way it's facing is editable by other classes, it shouldn't be that hard. It would only be an issue if the piston class forces the placement of the piston to be private, which shouldn't be the case as screwdrivers in RP2 are able to change the direction the block faces.

rewind's Photo rewind 07 Oct 2013

Has anyone already implemented a fix for this using a peripheral or some other means? I would love to be able to control the orientations of pistons at a minimum and other blocks as well when placing them. I just created a script generator to essentially 3d print designs from Excel and it is frustrating to pause it and place or reorient pistons because they won't face upwards.

Booyaah's Photo Booyaah 12 Oct 2013

make it so that pistons face downwards when placed down and upwards when placed up to allow the turtle the capability of placing pistons in all directions.

I would also very much like to be able to place pistons pointed up and down with turtles. I also wrote a 3D printing script but I'm unable to build anything that uses a piston pointed up or down so my automatic house building script and gate building script can't build the doors I want.

Would you consider making the piston face up when using turtle.placeUp()?

rewind's Photo rewind 17 Oct 2013

Booyaah, on 12 October 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

This post presents a better solution: http://www.computerc...th-placeupdown/

The developers seem to be apprehensive to it, though. Maybe I can look further into it in the future, but I would need to start from the beginning learning to decompile and modify, etc. It would have to wait until I get some precious free time since I see the learning curve taking a day or two's worth of work.

Cloudy's Photo Cloudy 17 Oct 2013

rewind, on 17 October 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

Booyaah, on 12 October 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

This post presents a better solution: http://www.computerc...th-placeupdown/

The developers seem to be apprehensive to it, though. Maybe I can look further into it in the future, but I would need to start from the beginning learning to decompile and modify, etc. It would have to wait until I get some precious free time since I see the learning curve taking a day or two's worth of work.

You wouldn't be permitted to release it - so I wouldn't waste your time.

rewind's Photo rewind 19 Oct 2013

Cloudy, on 17 October 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

You wouldn't be permitted to release it - so I wouldn't waste your time.

Classy

Cranium's Photo Cranium 21 Oct 2013

rewind, on 19 October 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

Classy
Don't complain. Cloudy and Dan have always said you're free to edit the files to any extent you'd like for personal enlightenment. However, you're not allowed to redistribute edited versions of the mod.