How Did You Learn How To Code?

33 replies to this topic

#21 billysback

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

I started a few years ago... 4 years ago, I think.
I started with VB for the very basic concepts of programming, learning this basically involved sitting there asking my dad how to do everything.
Then I started to take up Java to make plugins for hMod, I learned Java initially by helping others who were just as bad as me, I looked up their questions online and tried to figure it out with them, this way I learned the basics of Java plugin making, though I still didn't really understand Java.
I then moved away from the community and worked by myself, just using Google to make my own games and plugins.
If I ever made anything I was proud of, I would release it, but behind each project I was proud of was 10 that most likely failed miserably. But I learned the most from them.
That's pretty much it, google from then on outwards...

#22 rhyleymaster

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

If your asking from like the beggining...

Well I started when I got my first computer, a Commodore 64 (Old school, I know) and I was looking at all the things I could do (mostly really crappy games). I had bought a bunch of books on customizing your PC (hardware, mostly). I toyed around with the little things for months, when my brother came over and dumped a bunch of books off. They were mostly coding books for C-64 Basic. A couple years later, my parents bought me a windows 98 and a copy of Doom and Quake. I began playing the crap outta the games, then i decided I was going to modify the games. I realized that you could change most of the programming in games and add your own content. The years went by, I began to learn C++ and BOO, about 2009, I started making a game in Gamemaker, which was originally supposed to be a competitive MMOFPS as a clone of Quake 3, which used the U3D extension for Full 3D compatibility. 2010 rolled along and I found a game callled Garry's mod. I read that the game allowed players to make addons using Lua and source SDK. I began to learn Lua so I could create awesome DarkRP servers and Clockwork HL2RP servers (Which I still do). And then I got hired by HellZone RP to help code there HL2RP. Time kept going and a few months later, I found Computer Craft, when i started trying at Lua A LOT more then I had previously. And here I am now. I dont claim to be a pro either, considering I haven't done much lua for a while now (+ my major disappearance from the fourms). I was actually during my time of offline for about a year, was busy with post-secondary schooling, and work etc.

Also, nobody is a pro at coding. The learning never stops. You will never know everything about Lua!

#23 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

View Posttongues123, on 30 August 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

How do I learn how to code? Because I am always searching for some Coding Languages like Assembly, C, C++, Python, Ruby, Pascal, Lua.

When I do start?:
I started programming since I was 8 years old, My First Programming Language that I used is Visual Basics 2008
I started my VB OS called Atom OS. Basic is the awesome programming language for Beginners. When I was 11
I saw ComputerCraft I am just typing Computers for Minecraft then I saw Computercraft.. Then I am studying all Programming Languages besides VB. now when I am 12 years old. I have created Armian OS version 5.4 (old version of Armian OS) then I downloaded the CCEmu.
now I am creating Programs for Armian OS, And I am creating an OS for Computercraft was called by Armian OS Lua Edition version 7.1
Canonical and Armian was been joined together to make new Softwares :D

Canonical.inc is the creator of Ubuntu

Ian Sapelino is the creator of Armian OS

I am just studying by myself though. I am only a 12 years old kid :D but I know programming since I was 8 years old..
God gave me the gift of knowledge so Pray Always and maybe someday you will have the gift like me :D

I created Armian OS it was a linux distro you can download it in:
http://www.armianos.webs.com/

God Bless..
basic is fun to use for beginners but it can form some bad habits like spaghetti code with GOTO and GOSUB

#24 BigTwisty

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

My uncle bought me a copy of Turbo C++ for my 10th birthday. I spent my evenings tearing apart the example code and reading the docs. Of course this was on my old 8086 with a monochrome monitor!

#25 ETHANATOR360

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationyour hardrive

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

the best way to learn: code,ask questions, read books and other info and you will be good no time

#26 WhiteFusion

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUSA, Indiana

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

With Lua, I've just look at some code and try to get a sense of what's it doing. Sometimes I consult Google or just fiddle with it until I figure it out.
Here I am with some knowledge of Lua and currently working on my project to make a client/server program.

#27 Mitchfizz05

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I wanted to make a game when I was about 10 or 11 (I'm 13 now), so I Googled around for a game maker. I found myself on a cartoon network Ben 10 game creator, a bit like this. I eventually wanted to expand and looked for a better one, and found Sploder, which I loved! Then I wanted to make my game into an EXE like other games did, then I found myself with Visual Basic, then HTML, then a bit of Java, then advanced HTML and CSS, then LUA and finally PHP.
That's my story.

I improved on my skills by reading online and a few books (there wasn't many programming books at my local library).

#28 Mitchfizz05

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostAutoLocK, on 22 August 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

I started learning maybe just over a year ago. The first language I ever learnt was GameMaker language.
I've made some pretty cool games.

I can code in a few languages:

Lua
GameMaker
Batch
Some java

I probably get it from my dad, seeing as he's a very technical guy. He's programmed a few games, and made his own programs and some other things like that.
Me and him now use Codea for iOS. It is probably the most useful application for coding and probably the only decent one that uses Lua.

I also want to get a Raspberry Pi, it's a small computer that you can program to control robots, run OS's and games. You plug it into a monitor with a keyboard and mouse. You should take a look at it if you don't know what it is. It's like $40.
I bet it would be cool coding with your dad. My dad is interesting in surviving in the wilderness and lighting fires with sticks - he's still pretty cool though. :)

Edit: Opps, sorry, probably should've used edit shouldn't of I. Sorry. :(

#29 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

I first learned programming by reading (and coding) through the first C++ tutorial I found, which was on cplusplus.com. This was about 5 years ago. I kinda "floated" between programming languages for the next few years or so, then I found ComputerCraft. I started reading through the wiki, reading some programs, and writing a few programs myself. My knowledge of C++ helped a lot in this aspect. Fast-forward a couple of months and here I am!

#30 Buho

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

My first language was a very simple language that you could do fun things with. In my case, BASIC, but Lua on ComputerCraft is even better, I think.

In college I learned 20+ languages, most of them obsolete, which taught me how to pick up new languages.
  • Look at examples.
  • Read docs.
  • Read tutorials.
  • Have a friend who knows more than you (or if a flesh-and-blood programmer friend isn't available, get friendly on a forum).
  • Challenge yourself.
  • Have fun.
Lua on ComputerCraft is a great way to learn the basics of programming because it's fun.

#31 Zee

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

I started a while ago with Logo (when I was like 7). When I was ~8 I tried to learn VB, but I never *really* understood it. In 2012 I learned a little Python. In January of this year (2013 for time travelers) I started programming in ComputerCraft. I now use LÖVE and Garry's Mod Lua in addition to ComputerCraft. I'm also trying to learn Java. At some point I learnt a bit of C++.

#32 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Roblox. I could breathe code on there XD

#33 Kezaraux

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

I started teaching myself a little bit a few years ago when I played a game called Roblox and they used LUA scripts in their game. Then I took an Introduction to Computer science class at my high school and there I learned Python which I could easily translate those skills into LUA. That's how I learned. Still really horrible though.

#34 Th3RadMan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

wooo, just checked back with a ton of answers. thanks for all the ideas, i have read a bit although it is a lot easier i bet having someone personally help you... to bad my contractor dad doesnt even know how to download apps on his smartphone (and he gets mad if i say i'll teach him how to instead of me doing it all...)

but i'm just going to keep learning by asking questions, plus i think i'm going to most likely take a class or 2 in college in just over a year 0.0 college... sounds scary hahaha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users