←  Ask a Pro

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

[REQUEST] Wait for keypress or time

LoganDark's Photo LoganDark 25 Apr 2016

Are requests even allowed in this section?

I'd like a function that waits for a user to press a key, but after a specific amount of seconds, if the user hasn't pressed a key (it should skip instantly if you do) it skips automatically. Is that possible?

I have good knowledge with CC Lua, so feel free to explain it as technical as you want.
Edited by LoganDark, 25 April 2016 - 07:35 PM.

masterdisasterHD's Photo masterdisasterHD 25 Apr 2016

try this:

local timeout = 3

function ontimer()
sleep(timeout)
end

function onkey()
os.pullEvent('key')
end

parallel.waitForAny(ontimer, onkey) --This waits for either of the 2 functions to finish before continuing
--Further processing below this line

Edited by masterdisasterHD, 25 April 2016 - 07:39 PM.

View PostmasterdisasterHD, on 25 April 2016 - 07:37 PM, said:

try this:

local timeout = 3

function ontimer()
sleep(timeout)
end

function onkey()
os.pullEvent('key')
end

parallel.waitForAny(ontimer, onkey) --This waits for either of the 2 functions to finish before continuing
--Further processing below this line

Thanks!

LDDestroier's Photo LDDestroier 25 Apr 2016

I actually made the help screen of my QuickDraw game so that it slowly prints the help text, but if you press a button, it instantly displays the text. It's neato

View PostLDDestroier, on 25 April 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

I actually made the help screen of my QuickDraw game so that it slowly prints the help text, but if you press a button, it instantly displays the text. It's neato

I just had to use parallel.waitForAny.

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 25 Apr 2016

Moved to Ask a Pro.

View PostLyqyd, on 25 April 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

Moved to Ask a Pro.

Better to lock too, since my problem was solved. It also introduced me to parallel.waitForAny.

Lupus590's Photo Lupus590 26 Apr 2016

Ask a pro is usually not locked as it allows others with a similar problem to post additional questions
Edited by Lupus590, 26 April 2016 - 11:33 AM.

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 26 Apr 2016

Other users are usually encouraged to make their own threads, but it's indeed recommended for posters to keep all their questions about a given project in the one place.

In any case, there's seldom good reason to actually lock a thread. It's a fairly heavy-handed way of saying "drop this subject".